PDA

View Full Version : How would you start/model soemthing like this

assistant pimp
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
I have to model a gargoyle like thing for a class project. But I am at a lost where/how to start see below for a sample of what I am referring to.
http://www.stone-craft.com/horned%20gargoyle.JPG

This is just a close sample of what it is. Basically a face extruding from a flat object. Should I start off with a highly segmented plane the start smooth shifting from there? I know there is no definitive way to model but I am just curious how others would do it. That may give me the spark I need to get going. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Ayreon
07-27-2005, 09:49 PM
I would just model the head with your method of choise (box modeling or poly-by-poly). Then just leave the back of the head of, or delete it once you are done. Another option is to use the poly's on the back of the head to merge the head with the wall object, or create a wall from the back of the head by flattening the poly's and extruding the edges in x and y axis.

Ayreon

peteb
07-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I usually think about how accurate I want the model to be. If you want it to look exactly the same as the photo I would go with point to point modelling but if you want just a close aprox of the face then go with box modelling as it's a bit quicker. I'd probably go with the box method. Divide a box up so you have 9 or so polys per side. Then rough out out the shape a bit and move the polys about to roughly where you want the eyes. then start extruding from there so you can shape out the nose. Once you've got the shape of most of the main features then maybe subdivde the mesh once so you have a few more to play with and you can start adding things like cheeks and brow.

hope this was of some help

Pete B

Rod Seffen
07-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Another method a lot of people use to save time is to start with a low poly base mesh of a head and tweak it out in subpatch using the dragnet and drag tools.
It's a lot like sculpting that way.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.