PDA

View Full Version : Absolute point positioning in Modeler question

Imagus
07-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but is there a tool or method in Lightwave Modeler that can be used to specify the X, Y, and/or Z coordinates of a point(s)/vertex(es) using the numeric dialog box? Many tools have an "offset" parameter, but I'm looking to set the position in an absolute, not relative, manner. For some reason, I haven't been able to find a way to do this yet.

Again, sorry for the beginner-level question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Version: Lightwave 7.5d

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-27-2005, 08:56 PM
It's actualy very simple. There are two ways. Select point(s), hit "v" , enter value. Or tap "i" to bring info windows where you can numericaly adjust each value.

Imagus
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM
It's actualy very simple. There are two ways. Select point(s), hit "v" , enter value. Or tap "i" to bring info windows where you can numericaly adjust each value.
Thanks for the information, and for the quick response. :)

One question, though... based on your response, I did a quick search and found (actually, re-found) this page (http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page04.php)... did you mean "Ctrl+v"? I believe "v" is the command for "paste"...

blaqDeaph
07-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Thats to do with the difference in keyboard shortcut keys in 7.5 and 8. In LW 7.5, 'v' is to pase and Ctrl+'v' is set value. However, in LW8, NT decided to upgrade to the windows standard copying/cutting/pasting shortcuts.

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
yup, my fault. I haven't seen you are in 7.5. They switched those two shortcuts in v8

Imagus
07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Ah... makes sense. Actually, the LW8 defaults make more sense as well... I may end up eventually remapping those two. Just to round out the knowledge, where are the "value" and "info" commands located in the LW menu structure?

Again, thanks for the information. I have previous 3D experience (old Softimage and the now-defunct Ray Dream Studio), and am still trying to get used to/find functions in Lightwave. Until I get the two books I'm looking at (Essential 7.5 and Inside 7), the LW7 manual is all I have for (printed) reference, and I have a dickens of a time finding things in there. :)

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Selection info tool "i" is located in Display/Selection/Info in LW7 (i reverted LW8 interface to LW7 configs) and Set Value tool "v" is in Detail/Points/Set Value. You have small white letters next to tool name that shows shortcut to it 9if there's any) and you can always search for the tool in Configure Menus and Configure Keys windows.

Yeah, LW Manual is heavy and large thing and not very practical for finding things or carring around ;)

BTW. excelent books, both of them. Get them ASAP and you'll be LW enlighted. At least I was with my Inside LW 5 (the one with Formula1 on the cover) if anyone remembers.

Cheers

Imagus
07-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks again, akademus. Sorry to make you revert your configuration...

I did know about the shortcut keys appearing next to the various tool options, but it's a lot easier to find the shortcut when you know the tool than the tool when you know the shortcut. And, of course, I haven't really used the Configure Menus/Keys windows yet.

On the books, I did consider just going with Inside7, as it seemed to cover a lot of what Essential did, but more in-depth. However, I think I'm going to get them both, as Essential is designed for a more "quick start" approach using tutorials (my preferred method of learning) and Inside is designed to take an intermediate-level knowledge to the next level. Some of the content in Essential I already know, but there are tidbits that will come in quite handy (named grouping of points, for example).

Also, despite the similarities of certain exercises, it looks as though there are different methodologies presented (such as the two head modeling tutorials), which I will most likely find helpful.

Imagus
08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Rather than start a whole new thread, thought I'd just add to this one...

Is there a way to numerically absolutely scale a selection (of points/polygons) in Modeler? In other words, select a group of points and make them [x] meters wide, [y] meters tall and [z] meters deep?

I know you can specify absolute scaling when you're creating primitives, but I haven't figured out how to do so once the primitive has been created.

Vojislav+Milanovic
08-02-2005, 10:36 PM
In LW7 it's Modify-Stretch-Absolute Size. It works with polys as well as points. Just enter needed values into fields. Note: You need to have geometry in all axes if you entering all values otherwise it will return you error message "Illegal division by zero"

About the books, get both of them. And go thru them. Even if something seems stupid or banal go thru every chapter. They are written with golden letters ;)

Imagus
08-03-2005, 08:06 AM
In LW7 it's Modify-Stretch-Absolute Size. It works with polys as well as points. Just enter needed values into fields. Note: You need to have geometry in all axes if you entering all values otherwise it will return you error message "Illegal division by zero"

About the books, get both of them. And go thru them. Even if something seems stupid or banal go thru every chapter. They are written with golden letters ;)
Thanks yet again for the assist, akademus. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the books... I plan to get them and, once I do, chapter-by-chapter, cover-to-cover is definitely the plan. I'm not a complete beginner, but even if I already know most of what's in a section, there's always the chance that it covers something that I'm not yet familiar with.

In the meantime, I may end up popping back in with another question or two, as I'm participating in the current Unofficial Game Art Challenge. ;)

Vojislav+Milanovic
08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
No problem, this is the pool we all drink from.

Good luck with Game Art Chalenge

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.