PDA

View Full Version : to nail or not to nail...

chrislomaka
02-20-2002, 11:46 PM
for those who saw my earlier mice ('i like mice ') here's my new one. called the body mouse for obvious reasons...

so here's the question: should the buttons have nails like the bottom does? I originally was going to have them be plastic, but then i likes the idea of fleshy bits being the buttons, but now i'm considering adding nails...

what do you think?

JoBbE
02-20-2002, 11:55 PM
I like the design, but I think the fleshy texture needs some improvement..

nevertheless, use nails, they will give the mouse a scary look -> do it

Koma
02-21-2002, 03:55 AM
i love the under of the mouse ,but the 2 big button look weirds to me ,and the texture need some more works .

iTEXTUREthings
02-21-2002, 04:48 AM
man that is a cool concept...add the nails. Yeah the flesh could use a little more work...you still need to get more of a translucents but it looks cool

xynaria
02-21-2002, 04:53 AM
A few unruly big toe type hairs perhaps, the odd passing nicotine stain and even dandruff flakes could all be brought into service... oh and the nails as well. :p :) :)

Gilgamesh
02-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Yes nails! :D That is just freaky-cool man. Some little hairs would be great, too. Thats really funny.

stark-001
02-21-2002, 08:03 AM
yes true ... i like what im seeing here

you GOT to tell me what was used to make this !! :cool:

D. Phoenix
02-21-2002, 08:18 AM
I've seen some rather bizarre works in the past; this one definitely is unique and original.

Better patent your idea before it is called the 'Microsoft Body Mouse.'

-D. Phoenix

leigh
02-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Definately nails! This is an awesome concept and design! I absolutely love it - it is one of the coolest and most original things I have ever seen! Great work!
I WANT TO SEE NAILS!!!!!!!!

chrislomaka
02-21-2002, 06:24 PM
cool. i will definitely add the nails to the buttons. and hairs are definitely in the works.

this is being done in out-of-the-box lightwave. it's nearly entirely sub-patches (meta-formed, whatever they are calling it nowadays...)

will talk more when i post updates, but not likely today, as i have a big meeting this morning :( oh well...

thanks for the feedback, all.

ZPitt
02-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Hi man strange work!!! ha ha ha ! But i like it that interesting so much!

ME3D
02-21-2002, 07:52 PM
tha sum freaky s**t joe bob!
Wa else ya pualun frum da swamp t'day?

Nice work, albeit a strange look man.
Was about to mention the transluscence shader on alias site, but now I see that wont do ya any good. Well for crit the skin needs a bit of translucence however LW does it. And nails! If ya get stuck Jar "Mr. goatboy" (CGTalk member) into answering a few questions. Hes resident LW guru here with me.

Question: What will the monitor look like if the mouse is like this.....yeeesh gross! Thats what I was afraid of.......lol

Matt_Forcum
02-22-2002, 12:29 AM
oh god that is gross. add the nails........(shudder)

Mr. Goatboy
02-22-2002, 02:43 AM
Ya, okay, I'm posting. Great image! I love it. Just think, a keyboard with 108 little finger tips with letters and numbers scratched into the finger nails to go with that mouse. But I think it would be interesting to see what it could look like with sub-surface light scattering.

Look at this link:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pq1a-ogs/sss_e.html

Weiderman
02-22-2002, 04:42 AM
I think this kicks ass! I agree that some work on the texturing needs to be done - there doesn't seem to be much bump mapping going on, but perhaps that's not what you're going for. I think adding nails to it would really cement the image you're trying to portray of this being a hand or foot. It would also take care of some of the stretching you're getting on the texturing at the tips.
At any rate, I love this. Very imaginative and bizarre. David Cronenberg would use this mouse, I'm sure. So would I! Nice to see such originality!

chrislomaka
02-23-2002, 02:35 AM
newest image.

i was mainly concerned w. the modeling at the moment, but i have been looking into subsurface scattering; but it's the end of the day and i've run out of time to get it working as i want...

i also plan on more hairs, but it turned out to be more of a chore, too... plus, when i put a transparency map on the to get the ends to feather out a bit, all the hairs turned white! anyone know why?

the fingernail dirt needs to be lightened, too...

anybody have thoughts on what i should use for the mouse pads underneath? i originally used nails, but now that i have nails on top, i'm wondering if maybe i should use something else...

oh well, i still have a way to go, but thanks to all of you for your feedback and help and encouragement!

chrislomaka
02-23-2002, 02:36 AM
oh, i know i need to get the hairs to look more like they're sprouting out of the skin, as opposed to just sticking out, like they are now...

and i think i might make the fleshy part of the buttons a little wider on the bottom, too.

xynaria
02-23-2002, 02:49 AM
I think callouses would go well on the bottom and no self respecting mouse can exist without at least one wart. :p

Jhonus
02-23-2002, 02:53 AM
thats coooool.

Something appears wrong about the image and i think it comes down to a few logical issues with the texture.

The texture to me looks like the palm of a hand. Since its the top of a mouse you should use a texture of the top of a hand. That would also make the nails and hairs fit in better. (Since hairs don't grow out of plams... i hope :D.... and nails appear on the top side rather than the palm side).

As i say, cool image.

Maybe the hairs should be thinner?

ME3D
02-23-2002, 10:50 AM
Well joe bob its looking pretty good today, but I think the hair solution is partly in the sparse numbers and in looking around the office nearly every ones hands have LIGHT, thin, nearly transparent hairs on the top of their hands.

I think only big fat hairy guys would have a coarse strand of hair on the top of their hands.

Again nice job so far.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.