PDA

View Full Version : how do i install this memory module?

Just_David
07-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Im just recieved 512mb of memory and wish to install it into my neo platinuim mainboard. I see i ahve 2 green and 2 purple slots. 512mb is already installed in the 1st green slot, so do i slot the 2nd into the 2nd green or the 1st purple?

MSI Reminds You...

Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in
the table shown in the previous page.
- Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual
channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three
DIMMs, or it may cause some failure.
- Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and
it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into
the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.
- This mainboard DO NOT support the memory module installed
with more than 18 pieces of IC (integrated circuit).

SweetDreamz
07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't know which platinum board you have...but since MSI boards are pretty similiar, you should fill up the green first. So the first slot and the third slot.

Marzocchi
07-27-2005, 08:40 PM
To get use of dual channel install the 512MB stick in the second green slot. (DIMM2)
Depending on the card you can also put in it the first purple (DIMM3) Check your manual for that, if you don't have one, go with the DIMM2 slot.

Just_David
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't know which platinum board you have...but since MSI boards are pretty similiar, you should fill up the green first. So the first slot and the third slot.

dude you win the prize it was green 1st.. congrads ! ( and many thanks mate :) ) :thumbsup:

lots
07-27-2005, 11:26 PM
What you quoted from the manual says the answer was on the previous page :P

Beamtracer
07-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Are you familiar with static electricity issues?

I'll mention it just in case, or if anyone else is reading this for advice. You should remove static electricity from your body before touching RAM, as a static charge can destroy it.

You can buy purpose-built static "bangles", that have a strap that goes around your wrist, and on the other end is a cable with an alligator clip.

Alternately, touch some unpainted steel objects immediately before touching your RAM. Some people touch the metal chasis of their computer (not the motherboard or components).

When handling RAM, avoid touching any of the metal contacts.

Just_David
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Are you familiar with static electricity issues?

I'll mention it just in case, or if anyone else is reading this for advice. You should remove static electricity from your body before touching RAM, as a static charge can destroy it.

You can buy purpose-built static "bangles", that have a strap that goes around your wrist, and on the other end is a cable with an alligator clip.

Alternately, touch some unpainted steel objects immediately before touching your RAM. Some people touch the metal chasis of their computer (not the motherboard or components).

When handling RAM, avoid touching any of the metal contacts.

cheers for the tip and i always do touch the inside of the pc mate.. anyways the module is in and 100% fine.. thankyou all.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.