PDA

View Full Version : My sisterīs got a brand new bag!!!

eliseu gouveia
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi, folks,

My sister just dropped by with her new laptop and itīs one sassy little critter of a P4.
However, Iīm rocking my brain trying to figure out how to create a new partition for her stuff.
The laptop comes with only one disk, a 100GB one and Partition Magic wonīt allow me to mess with it (says some nonsense about "the selected disc contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved").

Any pointers? :)

imashination
07-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Why do you want to partition it?

eliseu gouveia
07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
If she has to reinstall windows on the C: drive, I want to have all her data safely stored on another partition.

nafa
07-28-2005, 12:22 AM
A separate partition is not a foolproof way to safeguard you data when you reformat/reinstall your C Drive. This was experienced by many, including an editor in PC Magazine where they are supposed to know their stuff.

Sieb
07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Most likely it has a hidden partition where the OEM has hidden all their setup files for xp and drivers and such. I know IBM Thinkpads come like that so they don't have to give you physical media.

novadude
07-28-2005, 12:40 AM
The laptop probably has a locked partition which houses an image of the hd after the OS was installed at the factory, and of course they would have locked out all ability to harm said partition by changing partition size.

xsenos
07-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi, folks,

My sister just dropped by with her new laptop and itīs one sassy little critter of a P4.
However, Iīm rocking my brain trying to figure out how to create a new partition for her stuff.
The laptop comes with only one disk, a 100GB one and Partition Magic wonīt allow me to mess with it (says some nonsense about "the selected disc contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved").

Any pointers? :)
Is doing it the old-fashioned fdisk way out of question here?

singularity2006
07-29-2005, 06:19 AM
If she has to reinstall windows on the C: drive, I want to have all her data safely stored on another partition.

oh? I've used that method for years.... no problems at all.

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2005, 06:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.