PDA

View Full Version : Intuos | Serial or USB?

Zaoldyeck
07-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Didn't find any reference on this while searching the forum so here goes:

Going to upgrade from my small old Inutos one to a the large Intuos 3, but I want to know which is better: Serial or USB connector?

My old Intuos had a serial connector and worked perfectly, except I couldn't use it on my laptop(no serial port), but I've had 2x graphire USB and they've both failed on me.
Have you had any bad experiences from the USB tablets compared to the Serial ones? Or ar they about same?

Sieb
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Intuos is better than the Graphire series IMHO. My 12x12 serial is still going, but I regret it not being USB. Serial is outdated and being phased out. Getting a serial->USB dongle is hard because most don't support the high transfer rate that the pads use to transfer pen data (there is only ONE that is usable with old Intuos like mine and not recommended for macs either). Get the USB.

lokki
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
I've got 14 Intuos2 tablets spread around at work, all of them USB; none have failed since they were installed over 2 years ago in somewhat harsh environments. And I've never heard of failures from any of my friends with USB tablets. However, I did have an original serial Wacom that was very unpredictable (you could say 'sketchy', but I'm not in a punny mood) - it would sometimes not even be recognized when rebooting the machine.

Zaoldyeck
07-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I've got 14 Intuos2 tablets spread around at work, all of them USB; none have failed since they were installed over 2 years ago in somewhat harsh environments. And I've never heard of failures from any of my friends with USB tablets. However, I did have an original serial Wacom that was very unpredictable (you could say 'sketchy', but I'm not in a punny mood) - it would sometimes not even be recognized when rebooting the machine.

That's just what I needed to hear.

Now to get paid so I can buy it.

Thank you both for the info.

TheCleaner
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
i didnt even know the intuos 3's came in serial format (do they?)

anyway, i take my usb I3 to work and back home again every day, and usb is just so convenient, i think its a very robust interface, you dont have to worry about bent pins or fat connectors

Milho
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
The Windows XP-64 driver does not support serial Wacoms :(

About your laptop problem, there are usb-serial-hubs for about 10$. Haven't tried one but it should work like an PCI-serial-Controler. Of course it still works as an serial and not usb wacom from technical point of view.

Cheers :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.