PDA

View Full Version : Wacom: Graphire or Intuos?

Calintz
07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Im a digital artist doing 2d work and im at a bit of a cross-roads and would like everyones opinion. I dont know wether i should get a wacom graphire3 extra large sized tablet (roughly a5 sized drawing area, 21cm by 15cm), or a small intuos3 tablet (only 12cm by 10cm). Both of which are exactly the same price.

It seems that the intuos is far better than the graphire, however its the large size of the xl graphire that appeals to me. Does a larger graphics tablet make it easier to paint in photoshop/painter?
Or are the features of Intuos worth sacrificing size for?

allenbussell
07-27-2005, 03:17 AM
For me, I like the intuos better - no matter size.

VisualKing
07-27-2005, 03:24 AM
Im a digital artist doing 2d work and im at a bit of a cross-roads and would like everyones opinion. I dont know wether i should get a wacom graphire3 extra large sized tablet (roughly a5 sized drawing area, 21cm by 15cm), or a small intuos3 tablet (only 12cm by 10cm). Both of which are exactly the same price.

It seems that the intuos is far better than the graphire, however its the large size of the xl graphire that appeals to me. Does a larger graphics tablet make it easier to paint in photoshop/painter?
Or are the features of Intuos worth sacrificing size for?

Well, i can't really help you on the graphire3 tablet, but i do have the Wacom intous3 tablet. I have a 9x12inch but of course you do not need it that big. It depends how you work, in small strokes or large. From what i know, is that most professional digital artists recommand intous tablets over the graphire. Its very smooth, and the pressure sensitivity is just awsome. I would say that the intous is probably a better choice in quality and for the over all artist.

That is just my opinion and i am sure that a lot of artists here would agree. If you ask most artists here, there isin't a lot who would use graphire over the wacom. At least that is what i know from talking to lots of artists here, and at www.conceptart.org (http://www.conceptart.org)...

Anyways i hope that helped you somewhat...

cheers...

jcbray
07-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Intuos has better specs, Graphire is cheaper. Those are two very big points, but perhaps just as important is what you feel comfortable on.

If you don't have a tablet right now, you may not know that the size effects how you work, while some like the smaller tablet for their short strokes, others find that annoying and restrictive to their style.

Hopefully you can try a couple out to get a feel for it :) - once you know the size you want, just work to that with the best price :)

Calintz
07-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Thx for the replies.

I do have a graphics tablet at the moment, its a packard bell and its adequate, but not ideal.
Naturally Intuos is what i want, however its the larger size of the xl graphire that is appealing. I would try some out but no-one i know has a tablet. Thats why i would like to know what everyone else would decide in this situation.
An A5 graphire or an A6 intuos?

IdoHart
07-28-2005, 01:04 AM
I have graphire2 (it's the SAME as the graphire3m cost less) in 9 inch*12inch i think, it's nice.
with my experience i can tell you that this size is enough, so i can tell you that i would like intus more than the graphire.
good luck.

Nazirull
07-28-2005, 01:56 AM
I bought a Graphire3 few months ago and never dissapoint me. Since the Graphire3 and Intuos3 have similiar prices...i woul recommend you to get the Intous3. The extra feature that i know compared to the Graphire is the Tilt pen....on top of the existing pressure sensitivity thing.....but 12 x 10cm is a little bit too small for me. thats why i chose the Graphire3.

lokki
07-28-2005, 02:06 AM
I have an 9x12* Intuos2 at work, but I don't use it because it's too big, so I prefer my 6x8 Intuos3. If I had to make the choice between larger and less expensive (with fewer features), I'd still go with smaller and more features.

The 6x8 fits nicely in my laptop bag, so it's easy to travel with, and I don't feel like I'm reaching at all - it's very comfortable.

However, I do not have classical art training, so I never learned the 'move your whole arm' style of drawing and painting. That right there could make a huge difference, and far outweigh the features thing. If you normally work in larger areas, go with the larger Graphire. Note that doesn't necessarily mean what size paper/canvas you'd work on, but how much range of motion you use when drawing/painting etc.

**edited** meant 9x12, but originally wrote A6... brain damage, you see.

FroggiezInk
07-28-2005, 02:55 AM
I have a Graphire3, and I love it. I found its featured more than enough to keep me satisfied.

bumskee
07-28-2005, 06:21 AM
I used to have the small one, I hated it.. way way too small...for me at least.. so I got a 12x12 intous2.. was a bit big but I rather like to work with that. I also have intous2 at work 6x8.. it's ok I guess but I prefer the bigger size. I say go for 6x8 grapphire3. Intous is probably better but I really couldn't handle 4x5...

ecco
07-29-2005, 05:29 PM
If anyone else is interested the Wacom online store is doing special offers on the Intuos 2 A6. It's 99 which I think seems very reasonable in comparison to my other research- I'm happy. Here: http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wacom.storefront/42ea650c00681f26273f50f336190634/Catalog/1084

Though that's from the European store section.

I am about to venture into the world of digital matte painting, and have just today ordered it. I had been playing with the idea of a tablet for over a year, and I didn't want to spend loads at this point in case I don't get on with it.

One thing, the page seems very similar to the Used products now and again. If you click on the 'special offers' link on the left it doesn't say Used, but when you first go to the online shop it says it is. I ordered from the former link. So maybe it is- I don't know.

Joel Hooks
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
I bought a graphire thinking it would work and be enough for me. Blach. Took it right back. The surface is crappy plastic and feels unnatural. Intuos 3 doesn't have this problem.

Calintz
07-30-2005, 06:01 AM
i really cant decide what to get, maybe ill just have to fork out an extra 100 on an a5 intuos3. get the best of both worlds and have a big gap in my wallet.

TheCleaner
07-30-2005, 12:42 PM
i originally bought the intuos3 A5 (6x8).. it was too big, the left hand touch strip and buttons were more than useless (in fact, for me caused problems), and it was just too big, so i sent it back, got the A6 (4x5) and its absolutly perfect, and addressed everything i didnt like about the A5

its DEFINETLY down to preference, so you must try both, and by that i dont mean hold it in a shop, actually get hold of one and paint with it for a while.

i sadly couldnt as i was the only person i knew who had a tablet, so i did the next best thing, lol, maybe you should try this, it was very useful

http://img195.exs.cx/img195/2277/a6intuoscard.jpg

thread on my situation

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=221031&highlight=pickle

Im very very happy with my decision.. i take it to work every day, where i work on a 19" 1600x1200 screen, and the resoultion is still amazing
its true testament to the quality of the wacom tablets, using the smallest tablet, with, by most peoples standard, the biggest resolution, and its flawless

i see your in the UK, just curious, where are you purchasing from?, i got the bundle which includes the official cover and various nibs plus buttonless grip, which all together was around 150.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2005, 12:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.