PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Comp Assistant?

duke
07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I was looking around at some of the various multi-pass options for Lightwave and recalled that Comp Assistant program. After searching flay and here, I found the webpage was meant to be http://www.nullsville.com but the website appears to have been closed/unregistered or something. Anyone know what happened to this program?

Thanks,

George

Panikos
07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
CompAssistant was a great tool. It was heavily depending on LWS format. CA developer was following Newtek's LWS changes up to LW7.* and abandoned it afterwards because LWS was changing release after release making maintenance very hard.

Maybe the developer will decide in the future to bring a new generation of CA.

uncommongrafx
07-27-2005, 02:52 AM
And it seems it's successor from another devoloper, Surpasses, is headed the same way, barring sdk changes, I feel. There are problems, for me, with it working right at the moment. I sure hope it gets resolved with 8.5's release. I like Surpasses much more than CompAssitant such that I'd rather see it revived/updated as it's much slicker being within the lw interface.

That said, I'd take both. ;)

duke
07-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Especially with something so rooted in your scenes structure, i rather liked the idea of simply applying batch operations to a base scene and spitting out individual scenes to render. I haven't checked out the surpasses demo yet but I may do that tonight when I get home.

The main purpose would not be for spitting out different buffers (it's easy to do that within LW), but to do things like an ambient occlusion pass, a seperate volumetric or particle pass and anything else like that that is needed. My caution over something like surpasses is that we wouldn't find a particular problem until it rears its ugly head 80% of the way through production. Is there anything in particular that it has problems with?

uncommongrafx
07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Right now, the problems I'm having are that it isn't talking through lscript very well. It seems that some of the commands aren't getting through, like changing attributes and hiding items.

Surpasses is exactly what you state you want, not just for spitting out passes. You check out the demo, though.

MooseDog
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Right now, the problems I'm having are that it isn't talking through lscript very well. It seems that some of the commands aren't getting through, like changing attributes and hiding items.

I'll second that experience. Conceptually:

i rather liked the idea of simply applying batch operations to a base scene and spitting out individual scenes to render

is a great way to work, and Surpasses does a fine job of doing just that. It just seems to have some operational difficulties. I sure hope the author has the time and opportunity to fine tune this plug-in, with "help" from NT. I'd love to see its potential be fully realized.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.