PDA

View Full Version : Please Help w/Rigging 101 mel script!, Rigging help needed!

madmanmagic
07-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Hey all,
I am really stuck on trying to learn Goosh's excellent method's on his CD "The Making Of PackageMan"

Please view my question at this link:
http://www.madmanmagic.com/rigging101_please_help/

I uploaded scene files and mel script and try to explain the full problem on that link.

I just can't figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.

So before you pack you bags for Siggraph or after you come back can one of you genius riggers please help a poor unfortunate wanna be rigger!

Goosh's said "

The only difference i can see between ur joint structure and goosh/lluis one is -

Joint orientation
Joint rotation orders"

I followed exactly the same on both? Does anyone see a difference between my bones and Goosh's bones as far as:
Joint orientation
Joint rotation orders

If so please explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Dan

Apewall
07-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Just a first thought before delving into a super vat of mel again, but did you tweak the mel script to suit your character's heirarchy, naming system, etc?

Beeecaaause it looks to me like you're just using a script from Goosh, and its probably not tailored for the arm you created.

madmanmagic
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Just a first thought before delving into a super vat of mel again, but did you tweak the mel script to suit your character's heirarchy, naming system, etc?

Beeecaaause it looks to me like you're just using a script from Goosh, and its probably not tailored for the arm you created.

No, I did not tweek Goosh's mel script.

And I don't mean to distribute it for free.

Goosh has looked at my problem and said "Yes, it has to do with the fact that your bones are not aligned properly

You have to be careful to work always in planes.. Like from top down or left
or front... Don't work on a strange angle.. Things become unpredictable that
way"

But someone else on a different board said: 'Joint orientation
Joint rotation orders' are different on my arm, different than Goosh's.

Both arms are available on the link I provided.

I am really trying to find out what I did wrong with:
Joint orientation
Joint rotation orders

They look exact to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Apewall Thanks for the input!

Apewall
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd take a look myself but currently I can't run Maya on this computer (probably video driver bug). :(

I'd say though yes, try creating the arm again, turning on the orientation of the joints in the display so you can be positive they are going in the same direction.

Goosh is also madly correct that you need to draw joints from a top down/side/front view (Not doing so causes maya to get confused when choosing the orientation of the joint.) Also making a S shape or other complex systems of joints will cause the same problem.

madmanmagic
07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the input Apewall.

Anyone out there who can actually take a look at these 2 sets of bones and tell me what the difference is.

They look identical to me in everyway.
dan

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.