PDA

View Full Version : first tablet sketch..

rblitz7
07-27-2005, 01:35 AM
well here it is
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/253/picture15lw.png
C&C please.

Erikoinen
07-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Well. For a sketch it's cool, but you should try finding a pose and balance for this guy. Also you if you're gonna shade it, you should'nt do it with just black color with soft edged brush.

Now that you have a tablet, you should try shading with the method most of people do (I think), which is:

Hard edged bigger brush,
set opacity to pen pressure (in Brushes -menu, if you're using PS) and shade it like "it was real".

Alt -key is your friend, it's the shortcut for the eye dropper tool, so your shading can be extremely easy once you know how to do it. Never shade with little brush. Usually (just usually) the highlights of armours, skins, etc. don't have that much white. Try using different shades of gray when making the beginning of shading.

reaver_ripper
07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I am trying to make a sketch of a pharao... dunno how it sounds like, but I plan to paint it digitally. How, is the question. I have no notion of color or light. Some one help? Plese? :rolleyes:

http://www.geocities.com/reaver_ripper/farao.jpg

Erikoinen
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, reaver_ripper, I hope you have that sketch on another layer than the background layer. Just take a midtone gray shade and make another layer, under the layer that the sketch is on and color the whole thing. Then imagine the light source and make the highlights and shadows where they should be with darker and lighter shades of gray.

Tip: If your sketch doesn't show when you've painted the another layer with grey, put the sketch layer's blending mode to multiply and you should see it again. And if it seems to be too strong sketch over the shading layer, just reduce the opacity.

rblitz7
07-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Well. For a sketch it's cool, but you should try finding a pose and balance for this guy. Also you if you're gonna shade it, you should'nt do it with just black color with soft edged brush.

Now that you have a tablet, you should try shading with the method most of people do (I think), which is:

Hard edged bigger brush,
set opacity to pen pressure (in Brushes -menu, if you're using PS) and shade it like "it was real".

Alt -key is your friend, it's the shortcut for the eye dropper tool, so your shading can be extremely easy once you know how to do it. Never shade with little brush. Usually (just usually) the highlights of armours, skins, etc. don't have that much white. Try using different shades of gray when making the beginning of shading.
ok Thanks! I did this sketch in sketchbook pro but ill try what you said in photoshop.

Erikoinen
07-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Should work in Sketchbook too but maybe with different names and quick keys.

reaver_ripper
07-28-2005, 12:38 PM
yeah, its on differente layers, no background. I try to separate color/shade/basic form/geometry. The big deal to me is the color part >.<; I have no idea how to color it

Erikoinen
07-28-2005, 01:12 PM
reaver_ripper, at least one way is to use layers with blending mode on Color and paint the colors there. I haven't used this method a lot but I know it works.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 01:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.