PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Texturing

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi, i am working on a game that have some aircrafts, i modeled the aircraft but, when i started painting the textures i saw that i really i don't know how to do this job, so, after i saw some images, i started the texture, here, after some hours of work i got this as result, PLEASE give me opinions, sugestions or anything, i want to make this better

P.S.: Just a Small piece of fuselage lateral...
(that is in total early estage, it have something like 3hours of work on it)

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage.html

Tnx
Ignore the real bad english

pearson
07-27-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm not seeing the image, just a red 'X'

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
problem with my server, now it is fixed

pearson
07-27-2005, 12:31 AM
One thing you can do is color each piece of metal with a slightly different tint, or select a few to tint a bit, to show that some of the panels are different ages. Keep it subtle, though; you don't want a rainbow. :p Do the same for the specular, if you are doing a specular map.

Mastahful
07-27-2005, 12:37 AM
It would be cool if you could post a render of your model...

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 01:18 AM
i have modified using pearson sugestion, i liked the results, now some panels look older than other... i liked,:)

Mastahful, sorry, but i really cant post a render, "work politics"(?), i just can show a piece of my texture...:sad:

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage2.html

please keep the sugestions coming!

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
now, i have increased the values diferenses between the panels, and started do add some details, like the dirt, please comment, give your sugestions, critics, if you dont liked say, and explain why, tnx

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage3.html

tnx again

Mastahful
07-27-2005, 12:40 PM
It looks good, but itís really hard to say without seeing the model, or even knowing the type of aircraft this is for. Is the image part of a larger texture sheet, what are your constraints? etc.

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Mastahful, i will have legal problens if i post a render ou the entire texture. So if u can help me with this i will be extreme happy, if not tnx by the same way

it is just a smal slice of the texture, the side of the aircraft,
about the type, its a fighter, i want as result, something like a IIWar aircraft in bad conditions.

pearson
07-27-2005, 06:14 PM
You seem to have some hinted in there already, but be sure to have a few oil streaks from leaky valves or cracks. Also, some panels are meant to open, so there should be a little foldable handle and a sticker or painted words about the contents. "Not a Step" is a rather popular sticker now-a-days for wing edges, etc...not sure about historically, though.

Overall, I would say to use a larger map to control the green mold. Currently it seems rather evenly distributed around each of the panels. If it were a bit more varied in density, I think that would aid realism a bit.

Mastahful
07-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I agree, and as your going for an aged look, throw in a few bullet holes and scrapes...

MarkD
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
It's pretty good so far =) One thing that kind of sticks out is the scrapes at the corners, they have shadows? Which makes them look as if they are not scrapes but some kind of patch or filler? Even if they are, would they stick up enough from the metal to cast a shadow?

MightyOne
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
... hey MarkD, weah, i really having problens in how to do the "scrapes at the corners", i tried lots of techincs, but i cant get a nice result, can you or somebody here give some directions to do this?
do you think just removing the lines will solve the problem? or the scrapes itself are the problem?
tnx

MarkD
07-28-2005, 02:12 AM
There are a lot of different ways to age metal, you are off to a good start =) I was going to write up a mini tutorial but figured the pictures showed what I ment better than I can write it down, so here ya go =P This is a quick and dirty 5min paint up, ment to show you ONE way to do chips and scratches on aircraft. This is not the only way or the best way, just one of the quickest.

Metal Chips: (http://www.vigville.com/forum_images/metal.gif)

I drew it at 64x64 and blew it up to better show what I was doing. A few things to keep in mind:
- Paint has layers, Glossy over coat, base matte color, primer and then finally bare metal.
- When you scratch the gloss you normally get a lighter color that the matte color. Sometimes that scratch casts a shadow inside the gloss.
- When you scratch the gloss and the base matte color, you see primer, sometimes the paint is thick enough for the gloss layer and the base matte later to cast a TINY shadow on the primer but the primer never casts a shadow on the gloss or matte because it is layered under it. This is where I think you got tripped up. You have primer casting a shadow on something it is under.
- When you scratch metal it often deforms around the scratch, leaving a darker depression right around the scratch and a lighter raised area around the outside of the shadow.

Another quick way to do scratches and chips is to google image search some scratches and overlay them onto your image, this doesn't always work like it should and sometimes it can take hours to find the right scratches so it is important to learn how to paint that kind of stuff =) Hope my rambling help someone =P

Headless
07-28-2005, 04:21 AM
One way to get a base for quick paint chips (although you'd still have to work on it to get it looking right), is to use the crystalise filter on a quick mask. Here's (http://www.phong.com/tutorials/chip/) a quick tutorial on how to do it to text, but really it applies to anything. You could just brush some quick strokes of the paint brush around the area that you want chipped then use this method to get the riight kind of chip edges. Like I say, you'll need to do extra work, adding the layers of base metal and primer and then doing some work to add bumps and dents and to generally age it, but this method is still not bad for a quick base shape.

MightyOne
07-28-2005, 07:17 AM
ok, i having serious problens trying to aply MarkD techincs:sad:, can u help me showing some tut, or teaching some tech that will york in this case?
i tryied lots of things, but i can't make it look nice, thanks to introduce me to the theorycal part, i stopped to think about, but i can't get any results, can you helpme to now how to aply this thing in photoshop (i having problens to get in results)

About Headless, yeah, you are right my scratchs are too smooth, and round... tnx by the suggestion... i worked to see how the result will look, i liked, now it look roughly:thumbsup:
... do u think the same? keep posting your sugestions

Pearson I liked the stickers sugestions, i added one just to see how it like, please give sugestions and say what do you think about it... it is cool? need too much work? i'm trying to develop more my photoshop skills, tnx again to you for sugestions...
added too a "valve leak" as you suggested
About the green mold, i think the same thing, but, i dont know how to do, you r saying just erase some parts, and reforce some another ones? i agree with that you sad, it look too perfect... in the next i will put this update, and if you want to say some techinique on how to do this i will be happy on study it.

Mastahful i will add bullet effects! it almost a law, i like it, but i didn't even thinked to put this at now, because i'm most preoccupied with metal efects, like weather, scrapes, chips, oil leaks, dust... and having troubles with theses things:sad: ... feel free to say what you want!

Now if could be possible i want some sugestions, if possible tuts, or anything to me put a paint a nice weathering effect...

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage4.html

Post Here if you know how to improve this texture, every suggestion will be great to me

Tnx Again

MightyOne
07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
MarkD, i saw again the image and your thread, and now i understanded what are u talkin about, i saw some another textures made for diferents artists, and u are total right about that u said in the other post...

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage4.html
Tnx... feel free to keep posting suggestions!

SHEPEIRO
07-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Model, or draw an individual rivet (even at low res this looks better than a dot) then use photoshops sample brush to replicate this along the edges of the panels. add some subtle soft shadow under neath (layerstyle) to add to the dirty oily look.
if you are using seperate colour/bump maps, it looks real cool to paint over the rivet then scratch away parts on the colour channel, leaving the bump channel complete(dont do all of them). this makes it look as if there is wear on each rivet.

hope this helps although your map suggests that you may be working at too a low res for it to help, but give it a go.
i often build the details in 3d then render out for a map.

pearson
07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I liked the stickers sugestions, i added one just to see how it like, please give sugestions and say what do you think about it... it is cool? need too much work? i'm trying to develop more my photoshop skills, tnx again to you for sugestions...
added too a "valve leak" as you suggested
About the green mold, i think the same thing, but, i dont know how to do, you r saying just erase some parts, and reforce some another ones? i agree with that you sad, it look too perfect... in the next i will put this update, and if you want to say some techinique on how to do this i will be happy on study it.
I like the sticker. The oil color seems off, though. It is the color of fresh oil, but after leaking slightly for a few months and mixing with dust and dirt, it should be almost black, I think.

As for the mold, if it's all on one layer, add a layer mask, then set forground color to black and background to white (or the other way round) and do Filters > Render > Clouds. Now use the Brightness/Contrast control to change the transition from black to white. This will take some expirimenting, but you will be able to see the effect immediately.
:thumbsup:

Skyraider3D
07-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi! You're not doing bad at all, but your textures are very blurry in a way. Especially panel lines should be really sharp.

Here's a sample of the textures I created for my Mustang model. The finished model can be seen by clicking the link below my signature. Hope it helps :)

http://skyraider3d.military-meshes.com/images/P-51D_texture_samples.jpg

MightyOne
07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Again, my problens are the ships, i cant aply MarkD Techinique, so for a while, i forguive the chips, if you MarkD or someone have another tecninques, PLEASE INTRODUCE ME TO IT!

Shepeiro, i liked the results using your techiniques, but, the 512x512 images make the quality become duvidous, please post your opinion, i just put some rivets using your techiniques in the middle of the image

Pearson, i used your techinique for green mold (give your opinion...), and i make the oil looker black, but i really desliked the results, if you or someone have opion or anything, sugestions are welcome

Skyraider 3d, First, congratulations to your Mustang P-51D, the render is awsome. Now, here, i make the panel sharper, what do u think about the results

http://luizfrds.sites.uol.com.br/fuselage5.html

Tnx Again!

SHEPEIRO
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
yeah i think they look beter than the single pixel dots, but i think your using too low a res for it to be really feasible. try adding a little more dispersed shadow around the rivets, in a brown as this is where dirt and grease builds up.

p.s what kind of aircraft is this. cartoony? or realistic

if its cartoony i have some images on the thread 3 above yours "nice little plane"
if its realistic i will try to post some of my new project which features the nut tech in full.

SHEPEIRO
07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
cool plane
i was just thinking you should try the technique i outlined in this thread it might make repeated details quicker to brush on. i keep a few of these details (rivets, screwheads, handles, etc) that are used so much in a seperate folder ready to brush on. only takes a few minutes to modle these then then render out and use forever.

MightyOne
07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Shepeiro, Yeah, these maps are real small... but is what need... about the style, is a diferent thing, it is some Realistic, and cartoony, and a lot of things... i cant give details, i think that is a hybrid, but the realistic will be more accurately.....

something to me?

SHEPEIRO
07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
will send images when i optimise them pour web.
look at "nice little plane" though, im rather proud of it? and it might inspire nyou.

Skyraider3D
07-29-2005, 09:35 PM
That's a lot better! :thumbsup:

SHEPEIRO
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
yeah.
ive stuck some of my more realistic planes under "WIP fairly low poly plane" and "WIP mallard"
hope it provides some inspiration. for this thread

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
ive just been settin up a new plane building tut "building planes for noobs" as some people have aslked me to do, some more contributions of tips and crits would be very welcome indeed.

ive started on basic modelling but will prob go into texturing later.

spread the knoledge

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.