PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my system (miniATX), help needed

varzock
07-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi all, been reading this forum for few days now and this is my first post on Technical and Hardware forum :)

So, I'm upgrading my system which is as follows (please don't laugh :D):

GC: ASUS 9250 128MB VGA+DVI+TV-OUT
Processor: Athlon XP 1100
MB: AsRock K7S41GX
Case: Antec Aria
Memory: 2 x 512Mb Kingston memory
HD: 2 x Samsung 160Gb

I work as a graphic designer and a freelancer web designer. Most often I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator but sometimes I also have to work on 3DS Max.

My budget is not big, maybe about 500 dollars and I've thought to change at least the processor and graphics card.

As the new graphics card I've been thinking Geforce 6600 GT and the processor will pretty surely be Athlon as well. Should I change anything else?

Now I'd like to hear your comments about this, how should I upgrade my system in the limits of my budget? Thanks alot in advance! :buttrock:

varzock
07-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Anyone, any idea or tip? :shrug:

SimonPickard
07-28-2005, 04:50 AM
Well I guess you need to find out what the max specs of your motherboard is, and then upgrade to that.

I'm guessing you should be able to get a 2700xp in there or maybe higher, geforce6 GT, if it'll fit in by cool enough in your case, etc.

I take it you want to keep your shuttle, or whatever case?

Basiclly though just find out what the max your system can handel and then max it out.

Regards,
Si.

varzock
07-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Well I guess you need to find out what the max specs of your motherboard is, and then upgrade to that.

I'm guessing you should be able to get a 2700xp in there or maybe higher, geforce6 GT, if it'll fit in by cool enough in your case, etc.

I take it you want to keep your shuttle, or whatever case?

Basiclly though just find out what the max your system can handel and then max it out.

Regards,
Si.

Thanks for the reply :) Yeah I'd like to keep the case, got bored of those massive cases on my desktop or on the floor. Just wondering if that kind of system will be enough for my purposes or what could be the bottle neck in my system at the moment?

SimonPickard
07-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Looking at the work you do I'd guess that your gfx card upgrade wont really help you at all, unless you throw 100,000 poly scenes around and the like..

I'd spend the money on.

1. Cpu.
2. Extra memory. 1gig is nice but 2 is really nice if you have huge images with many layers, etc. It will also allow you to keep all the apps open at once if you so wish.

Regards,
Simon.

varzock
07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Looking at the work you do I'd guess that your gfx card upgrade wont really help you at all, unless you throw 100,000 poly scenes around and the like..

I'd spend the money on.

1. Cpu.
2. Extra memory. 1gig is nice but 2 is really nice if you have huge images with many layers, etc. It will also allow you to keep all the apps open at once if you so wish.

Regards,
Simon.

I most surely will update my processor but do you think this grahpics card I got now isn't a slow card? Cause I've been thinking the reason why my computer is so slow is cause of the slow graphics card or could it be the processor? Sometimes this is awfully slow updating the screen... :sad:

qwatkins
07-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Sometimes this is awfully slow updating the screen... :sad:

This is usually because (as was mentioned by SimonPickard) when you have a massive Photshop file that you are working which is not only the data in the file but all of the undo levels, the clipboard, etc. PLUS if you have other apps open then Photoshop starts hitting that virtual RAM on your HDD which is extremely slow (compare nanoseconds to milliseconds + bus transfer speeds, OS overhead, etc.). I think doubling your RAM and upgrading your CPU would go a long way.

In fact, here is a thought:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=80152

Mobo: Asus A8N-E nForce 4..........$119.00
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000.............$149.00
RAM: 2GB DDR (400) 3200 OCZ......$221.00

TOTAL: $499.99 + $7.90 shipping

varzock
07-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the tips qwatkins! The weirdest thing is though that even I didn't have Photoshop running and I only have, say, a Firefox browser or Explorer running, the screen update speed is remarkably slow. And I don't even think the graphics card I got is really really crappy don't you think? Could it be the mother board?

Should I really give up of my Antec Aria case? Heh looks like that mobo won't fit in and in that case I should change it to Antec Overture II (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15730), opinions?

varzock
08-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have any experience about this? Any help?

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.