PDA

View Full Version : Animating tree/plant growth in Vue?

crpcory
07-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Has anyone done an animation with a growing plant or tree in VUE? IĒm Curious as to how good it looks and well it works. The Vue Infinite demo reel has a great looking tree growing with leaves sprouting so iím assuming this can be done.

Can you animate any paramater slider that you use to create a plant/tree? IIím guessing keyframing these is how you animate.

Also, any tutorial on the subject woudl be appreciated, iím using the trial version right now.

papillon68
08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm also interested in this subject, does anyone know how to accomplish this ?

papillon68
08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm also interested in this ... has anyone tried to make plants and trees grow ?

mdunakin
08-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Right now I'm learning and working on a test render (preview, that is) of a
growing tree with leaves on it changing and adding more as it grows and the
shape of the trunk and branches also change during the animation.
(Well, as good as they let you, that is)

Mostly having trouble getting the wind to blow on it properly.
Of course, it might help if I took a few seconds to actually READ the manual or Help files LOL
But, Vue is sooo basic with most things, I rarely need to look anything up until I get stuck.
It's actually pretty straight forward, in that you move the slider to a frame you
want and adjust some attributes on the tree and then continue on and
when you're done, it's all animated.

Got my main settings down right now, but things are working up to crashing,
I can already tell, because eveything has changed into simple box shapes,
so I need to reboot before something bad happens to my nice little scene.
When I reload, I want to mess with the wind some more though.

Ok, I rebooted now, so I can get back to it.
Everything was begining to act up, so a reboot was a must in order to finish.

Anyway, I'll load up the scene when I'm done, IF it works, that is :)

....................md :)

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
OK, here's my first test animation of a growing tree, though I made it days and days ago.
And I think now I could do a much better job, since I understand more then I did about
this sort of thing then I did when I was first "trying" to create the scene, but kept
having too many crashes at the time to really get to "play" much to see how to do things.
Like the growing part I would of done better as well as the wind, for sure.

Anyway, here's the link, and next time, I want to add some grass
to the scene to help better show the breeze blowing.

http://www.md-arts.com/GrowingTree_320x240_610_01.avi

..............md :)
P.S. Does "everyone else" also have to see the DivX logo on top of
their animations every time they play one, like I always see?
I would think since I paid for the best DivX products they have,
that I would at least not be stuck with advertizing their logo
everytime I play an animation I made using "their" codec?
I don't see a QuickTime logo over laying my animations when I
create one with their codec, so why should I have to see one with DivX?
Thanx.

Bytehawk
08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
nice one !

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanx, and the next one will be more realistic, as that was just a test to see if I could
do it, since someone posted this thread and wanted some info on how to do it?

.................md :)

DigReal
08-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Wow, the wind is really pushing that guy around. :thumbsup: Must be out in the desert.

Glad to see Vue finally let you finish something.

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanx, and yeah, the wind was actually the hardest part, not the tree growing part.
I think I needed to zoom in closer to see the little wind arrow better to make more accurate adjustments?
But also, I think it (the tree) needed to be less sensitiveness to the wind?

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear if any of you can answer that last question in my P.S. about DivX?

thanx................md :)

DigReal
08-14-2005, 07:08 PM
I've bought some divx products, and noticed something odd. If I play divx avi's on the machine that I installed on, I see the logo... but only for a few seconds, which doesn't bother me. If I play them on this machine, I get an error about being unable to load the codec... it still plays, but without the logo. So apparently, the logo display is part of the viewing codec. Does that make any sense?

mdunakin
08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Nope!

That doesn't make sense.
It shouldn't even BE there at all!
You fork out the dough for this thing and it shouldn't be leaving a footprint,
as it were, on your videos. It's not my job to be advertizing for them every time I play a video.
And I have to wonder if others are seeing that stupid thing on my videos as well?
Are they?
Are you?

If I can call them tomorrow, I'm going to, though I'm not sure if they have
a fone number that'll let you call and actually talk to anyone or not?

I don't appreciate it being there.
And it's also not proffesional for it to be there, if I'm sending out animation
in this format to a client or anyone else for that matter.
And like I say, NOOOO other codec does this BS.

............md

crpcory
08-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Yes, so you can animate. I just got my copy to work (i got the typo serial # though like some others, that was a bit annoying but no biggie).
Still getting use to the interface of VUE but it is pretty simple.
Nice animation, it is a bit surreal but nice to see it in the flesh. I'll be trying some stuff out soon, i'm interested in seeing what people start doing with it.

crpcory
08-19-2005, 08:28 AM
just playing with settings, not really going for any perticular 'real world' growth/ time lapse look.

Tree animation (http://homepage.mac.com/crpcory/tree.mp4)

One thing i notice is i often, when messing with settings, get this gap at the base of the trunk, well...juuust above the base. It's a bit annoying but i guess i could just lower my tree.

papillon68
08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I tried to open the .mp4 animation with divx player but it just plays a blank screen. What player or codec it's needed ?

crpcory
08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
use quicktime (at least V6 i think) to open it. It's in mpeg4 (i can't wait til QT7 is readily and permanently available for everyone, H.264 looks so much better than mpeg4 or divx i think). but yeah, QT should work

mdunakin
08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
crpcory, for me it worked, but then I just bought the 7 pro version of QuickTime.
So, not sure if that's why it's working for me or not?
But, I reeally loved your scene, except the end.
It needs a bit of work, because it's all going nice and well, and then
right before the end, it's like it suddenly changed and jumped
from it's growing point to the very end point.
If you could somehow smooth that part out, you'd be there :)

Cuz all the rest, including the end all look good.
Just not that jump to the end.

I want to retry my first version as well, as it's a bit tougher
then one might think, which I'm sure you found out :)

Post up another when you get the chance.

.................md :)

crpcory
08-20-2005, 07:59 PM
I' noticed on this one that i need to figure out how to get better random wind reaction from the leaves but other than that i think i'm starting to like this too. For quick mass vegitation creation at anything not close up its great...i'm still working on more detailed work. Here's my latest tree

New Tree Growth (http://homepage.mac.com/crpcory/treegrow.mp4)

mdunakin
08-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Yep!
It's getting that wind just right that was the problem I was having also.
I noticed though, that a lot of it wasn't the wind's fault,
as much as it was the actual plant's fault.
As in, sensitivity to wind.

Also, messing with that little blue arrow had a lot to do with things as well.

I want to get back to mine later on, but right now I'm working in LW onmy Lizard
scene and am trying to finally finish that up before moving further into Vue.
And, that tree look pretty good too, though I appreciated you growth more from the
other plant, because you managed to keep it changing from it's begining to the end,
with the branches, which is (as I found out) much, much harder then it looks to be.
Where as your new tree looks pretty much the same from birth to adult.
But, most of this is because there just isn't nearly enough control over plants in the plant editor.

.......................md :)

kmatheson
12-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi,
Please pardon if I'm rude. The trees look great, nice wind and light and form, but the growth is problematic for me because the tree is really only scaling, a small version of the tree scales into a larger version, and it doesn't show the branching growth that characterizes growing trees.

Is that sort of animation possible with VUE? I'm very curious if it is possible, though I haven't played with it at all.

Again, nice tree animations. Maybe I'm trying to do something a little different from what you want.

kimaldis
12-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I messed about with this quite a lot but ultimately, Vue doesn't have enough scope in it's animation tools or it's tree parameters to allow you to animate growth in anything but a primitive way. Most of the problem stems from the fact that there's no way to increase or decrease the number of branches in a tree. You sort of want to start with a single main stem then grow branches out of that, followed by more branches out of them. Then you want to bring on the leaves. All you can really do is grow the length parameter of the branches which is really no more than just a scale.

One thing you can try is animating the spread but really, animating growth in Vue is never going to be great.

Animation in Vue isn't great at the best of times. Don't expect too much from it, you'll only hurt yourself.

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2005, 11:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.