PDA

View Full Version : Asian Castle environment

Gaboon
07-26-2005, 07:41 PM
This is a game environment that I have started for my portfolio. I have been doing characters and props only so sets are new to me. It is from a story I have been working on for years. I just learned (from my other thread) that I don't have to keep it a single mesh WHEW! I have the concept I did here also. Any comments and crits are very much appreciated. Thanks.

jOBe
07-26-2005, 07:58 PM
mind to share the link with us ? :thumbsup:

Gaboon
07-26-2005, 08:12 PM
They should be there now. Sorry bout that.

jOBe
07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
so when did you plan t cleanup your mesh?
You've got a huge amount of unused polys all over the place.
Whats your poly limit for the environment? what kind of game is it? FPS or RTS? Very important things you should make clear especially when making a portfolio for developers of rather FPS or more RTS games in their portfolio.
I really like the concept, thouh i think it shows a lot of rocks and waterfall but only a small piece of the actual model your creating, but im pretty shure from the looks of your wire that you got the idea in your head.
The model is looking well done as well, my only realllly big complaint would be the meshflow.

Gaboon
07-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, I guess I'll be cleaning it up when I go home tonight. This would be for a 3rd person action game ala Prince of Persia on console. I modeled this when I thought that it had to be one mesh. Now that I know different, I will be able to cut down bigtime on the polys. Poly limit- I don't really know what the norm would be for this type of game. If anyone knows what the typical limit would be, i would love to know. Thanks

veteehrri
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
i agree with jobe about the mesh, when you clean up, i think it will be fine, on the concept the up of the castle looks bigger then in the model, maybe because the camera. i don't know about the polycount but i'm curious too.

Mastahful
07-26-2005, 10:13 PM
The poly count depends on which engine you are modelling for. For example if you were to put your environment into the Unreal 2 engine (a popular choice) it can have 150-300 objects in view, with a total count of 50,000 to 150,000 triangles in view.

kaylon
07-26-2005, 10:26 PM
And to further add a bit more detail.... Unreal uses a form of Instancing for it's Static Meshes where the engine only really processes the info from one instance of an Object within a level ... so your spikes on your walls would make good use of this if there where added within the editor as a detailing static mesh ontop of the mesh for the building. You import "one" spike and duplicate it with Unreal Ed along your walls etc and could have dozens of them, the engine still actually only does the run time calculations for the original mesh impoted.

Hope that made sence... to sum up .. a Stone piller supporting a roof has 2000 polys... duplicate this 10 times and even though it looks like there is 20000 polys now..Unreal treats it as still only 2000 polys... in a nut shell sorta.

K.

Marsfyre
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
And to further add a bit more detail.... Unreal uses a form of Instancing for it's Static Meshes where the engine only really processes the info from one instance of an Object within a level ... so your spikes on your walls would make good use of this if there where added within the editor as a detailing static mesh ontop of the mesh for the building. You import "one" spike and duplicate it with Unreal Ed along your walls etc and could have dozens of them, the engine still actually only does the run time calculations for the original mesh impoted.

Hope that made sence... to sum up .. a Stone piller supporting a roof has 2000 polys... duplicate this 10 times and even though it looks like there is 20000 polys now..Unreal treats it as still only 2000 polys... in a nut shell sorta.

K.

I would recommend against this kind of thinking because in this particular scenario I can almost garauntee that would cause a drop in framerate. It would still be more expensive rendering such a large number of objects.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.