PDA

View Full Version : A very simple blend/skeleton question

ruukki
07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Hello, first of all, I'm certain this has been gone over for a jillion times if not more, but I still have to ask, because reading through every blend shape message could maybe take some time:
-which is the more reasonable way to work, make the blend shape first or bind the skin first?

Why I'm asking is I have done this only maybe 3 times, and each time there have been some problems - for example, once I couldn't move the blend shape node down in the preference list or whatever it is called, and so forth... that time I'm sure it was because of the order I did things.

Another thing, if someone is as nice as to reply to this too: Why doesn't the IK handle (IKrP solver) stay put when I move the hands? It should be sticky but it still goes as far as I care to drag it. The same goes for a control object for the wrist - it's orient constrained but the constraint doesn't seem to be doing anything.

If someone helps me, I will not have to swap back to digging graves or whatever it was I was doing before.

cavetroll
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
if you want to be on the safe side, do the blendShape assignment first and then do the skinning. if you want to have more than one blendShape node for your model, deformation order can get tricky if combined with skinning. we always use just one blendShape node for facials and correctives.
but you should be able to change deformation order in the inputList. never had problems with that.

ikHandles:
check their sticky state in the attributeEditor or parent or constrain them to a controlObject and they will stay where they are supposed to be.

I canīt tell from here why your orientConstraint doesnīt work. for me the guys always work. (not always the way I want them to but mostly ;) )
you do know that since maya6 you can still modify constrained attributes...?
(thatīs why you get those "annoying" pairBlends when animating a constrained object).

hope that helps a bit,
cheers, tom.

ruukki
07-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I canīt tell from here why your orientConstraint doesnīt work. for me the guys always work. (not always the way I want them to but mostly ;) )
you do know that since maya6 you can still modify constrained attributes...?
(thatīs why you get those "annoying" pairBlends when animating a constrained object).

hope that helps a bit,
cheers, tom.

Thanks for the blendshape reply - I'm sure I'll get that one running.

Maybe I've misunderstood orient constraints...? I have, in short, a control shape that's constrained to a wrist joint. The shape doesn't fly all over the place, luckily, but it will slide towards the fingers and beyond. This is not a huge problem, of course, so thanks for what I already got from you.

cavetroll
07-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Iīm not sure if I get you right, but the normal way I set up a rotationalCtrl-object would be the following:
get a ctrlShape at the origin and group it to itself. (when you group it, you make sure that your attributes stay 0,0,0 which is nice for every ctrlObject)
snap the group in position and orientation to the joint you want to constrain.
make sure the rotationOrders of the controlShape and the joint match.
orientConstrain the joint to the ctrlObject.
parent or constrain the group in your ctrlHierarchy.
when you rotate your ctrlObject the joint will follow.
hope that helps.

tom.

ruukki
08-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi, and thanks for everything so far. I really should be taking classes but the budget's limited.

What I want to do is prevent the control object from sliding around. The joints themselves work OK.

I'll be eternally grateful if you help me out once more - well the promise doesn't sound any too substantial but if you have any questions about anything else but 3D I'll get the answer for you, hehe.

Oh by the way - the Blend/skeleton thing works now, thanks!

cavetroll
08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
from here I canīt see what the problem with the sliding ctrlObject means, so it is hard for me to help.
could you post a screenshot, clip or scene?

sauzer
08-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Ruukki,

for your question about the blend shapes/skinning order, I do it in a different way. I skin the model first, then I use "Parallel" blend shapes for the keyshapes (or expressions) and "front of chain" for my corrective shapes. If you need at some point along the production to add a corrective shape, you would add it to the existing blend shape.

Hope this helps

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 06:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.