PDA

View Full Version : Animation-Demoreel, Ole Bukowsky/The German Film School

Bukow
07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi

Im going to graduate next month from "The German Film School" here near Berlin/Germany and just finished my Demoreel for the Siggraph this year.

Im looking for a job as Character Animator, but Im also well trained in related topics like Rigging, FX and overall Film Production.

of course crits and comments are welcome.

d (http://www.nova-graphics/)ownload:
small (http://www.nova-graphics.de/reel/Demoreel_Ole_Bukowsky_320.mov) (mirror) (http://www.stephanart.com/Demoreel_Ole_Bukowsky_320.mov) (320x240 Quicktime 11,8 MB)
medium (http://www.nova-graphics.de/reel/Demoreel_Ole_Bukowsky_480.mov) (mirror) (http://www.stephanart.com/Demoreel_Ole_Bukowsky_480.mov) (480x360 Quicktime 17,2 MB)

http://www.nova-graphics.de/reel/Banner_a.jpg

FatFatFatty
07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow! Looks like you have some really great stuff on your reel. I especially like the clips from your short with the devil and the sheep. My only crit is that the music over the dialogue in the roach clips is kind of distracting. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Good luck finding a job.

By the way, are the roach or devil/sheep shorts available for download. I checked out the thread for the roach one and there doesn't seem to be a link to the short.

maskdartist
07-26-2005, 08:38 PM
hey man! i am a HUGE fan or orcbabies! im dling the demo reel right now, im sure it will be great.
do you ahve any plans to do more with the orcbabies? they inspired me to get into the 3d world.

ENL
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Great Reel!!!

I really hope you get a job in your field soon. I have actually just started doing 3D animation and hope to do your kinda style soon.

I couldnt get the website that you listed on your reel though to show up...was interested in seeing a full version of that Cockroach and Devil movie...anyway I could get a link?>.maybe a temporary one if you want to save bandwidth.

I would also be willing to host the movie on my server as a mirror for you as well if its a good size and its as great as it seems...

I would really appreciate it...shorts like that are my powerboosters when i get stumped on something...

Good Luck,

ENL

Arcon
07-26-2005, 11:52 PM
hey Bukow - very nice, its rare to see a generalist reel done well :)

did u do all the texture design / lighting for those clips...? it was very good as is your artwork, have you considered working in shader-writing / lighting..?

geekbot
07-27-2005, 01:43 AM
love your reel.

i also had trouble trying to look at your website (the one posted at the start of your reel.)

keep up the good.

jw

rickycox
07-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Excellent reel, love those roaches. Never thought I'd say that :)

timothyjpalmer
07-27-2005, 03:37 AM
very nice. very nice.
had a really great feel and really encompassed your style.
good luck man. I'm sure you'll do well.

Supervlieg
07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Nice, there is a lot of talent coming from the GFS. Good luck finding a job.

Bukow
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
tnx for the comments,

Our thesis short (devil/sheep) is currently in Production. I will post the short when its finished.
but you can download the Roaches here--> www.filmschool.de/roughapproach (http://www.filmschool.de/roughapproach) (temporarily down becauce of a Hacker Attack)
and The Orkbabys here--> http://www.orkbabies.de (http://www.orkbabies.de/) (created as Pilot for a full CG-Serie)

My Website is in reconstruktion, becauce I havnt done anything on it for years.

@Arcon > for the clips on my reel I did: Animation, Rigging, Lighting/Rendering,parts of Texturing/Modelling,compositing,
right - I have concidered to work in shader-writing / lighting, but then I would miss the Animation part too much.

lucas
07-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Ole, you old "Haudegen" ! Very nice work indeed !!! impressive work ! wish you the best of luck in L.A ! hope you get a job with that !

greetings to the other filmschool-students !

lucas

stephan.s
07-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Outstanding work, Bukow! Awesome

Smb
07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Not far from perfect...

lildragon
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
@Arcon > for the clips on my reel I did: Animation, Rigging, Lighting/Rendering,parts of Texturing/Modelling,compositing,
right - I have concidered to work in shader-writing / lighting, but then I would miss the Animation part too much.

I would recommend making a shot breakdown list, just so you don't cause confusion with potential recruiters. And here's a little something to help with your SIGGRAPH efforts.
{PLUGGED}

Nice reel and good luck with your job hunt, you got a bright future ahead.

-lild

stephan.s
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Woot! You got plugged! :D Have a blast at Siggraph!

Dave3D
07-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Doh, i never going to get a job with people like you around. :cry: and i graduate next year, getting very nervious about it..... :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

DAve

Goro
07-28-2005, 10:35 PM
yey Ole! Good luck at SIGGRAPH

Your Reel just kicks A**
The stuff just rocks! I had a lot of fun working with you and I'm sure
we will work together some day again!

Keep it up!

Cheers!
Goro

VKarlsson
07-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Ohh! Really nice. The first part reminds me of Bugs Life.. Good Work!

Chris Bacon
07-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey.....Fantastic reel....Ive ben a fan since I saw 'interview with Karl halkins'

if thats how you spell it.....good luck finding a job.....you should have no problems

depleteD
07-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Dood, you are incredibly talented. Props to the max. glad u had some traditional stuff at the end to. :D

Panupat
07-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Animations are really nice. I would suggest on music tho. Lower the volume where the dialogues are so it won't interfere. Also near the end of reel I got those weird buzz sounds probably because it's too loud and went over the range my speaker could play. Might want to consider lowering the over all volume

nathanwallis
07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
thats damn cool.....the devil and the sheep i like the best. I think it would make a cool film clip, something along those lines.

All the best,

Nathan

AyaKoshigaya
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Hi,

yay... great Demoreel!!
I realy love your Devil/Sheep Animations, realy look like animations of a biiig feature film or something! :)

Good luck at Siggraph, but... don't realy think you need luck, you'll get your job!:bounce:

Au'revoir,
Aya

berniebernie
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Stylish and fluid animation ! Top notch !

Kirbsaw
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Whoa! That's some awesome stuff!

Like someone else said it's kind of hard to hear the talking in the beginning, but man the whole thing is sweet, looks like professional work.

Rabid pitbull
07-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Excellent work! Great animation! No crits other than the audio being too overpowering. The work is great you will be employed might fast I bet!:thumbsup:

TheUnkind
07-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Your the best man! :thumbsup: very inspiring...

HowardB
07-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Totally amazing work youve done on your reel man! I agree the music should be lowered when the bugs are talking, its hard to hear what their saying.

onlooker
07-29-2005, 02:41 AM
That was awesome! I liked all the clips in there a lot. Boy. Makes me want to go see a movie. :thumbsup:

aesir
07-29-2005, 02:42 AM
A lot of nice stuff, however you really need to credit all the other people who worked on those shots. I know the ork babies at least was made by a group of people.

ODoul
07-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Love it! :thumbsup:

sadghost
07-29-2005, 04:00 AM
GREAT WORK... BUT REALLY I think the music is way too loud.you have to keep that in mind,you might play it for someone and blow there heads away if the didn'r expect the music to be so loud...

Mylenium
07-29-2005, 05:11 AM
I always wanted to say this: Those "Orc babies" are about the ugliest and most annoying characters. I really hope someone will save us from this becoming a true series :eek:. I saw it on the Digital Production DVD and it made me wanna smash my TV. The roaches on the other hand are extremely nice and the devil/ sheep thing also looks cool.

Mylenium

inky2
07-29-2005, 06:04 AM
I hate cockroachs but you make their soooo nice:) Very cool demoreel! Keep this level, Ole Bukowsky , and great things will happen for you...5 stars!

Sollesnes
07-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Very nice work on your demoreel. Best of luck on finding a job. :)

nickepstein
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
i just posted this on our internal list here at framestore - ive seen a lot of student reels and this is one of the best for sure.
best of luck man - sure you wont need it!
nick

MrBraun
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
My compliments !! :D :D :D

Fantastic !! ;)

Mirwen
07-29-2005, 10:17 AM
WOW man!:eek: I am absolutely amazed! This work is incredible! 5***** from me! I really like those cocroaches and the spaceship! Just in the other scenes texturing could be better, but movements of everything is amazing. I mean that it is very hard to make some real movements in 3d and you did it!:bounce: Congratulations!
ps: yeah I like Linkin Park;) (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

loocas
07-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Man that's wicked!! It's awesome :D I especially loved the two roaches and the diablo ;) Hope you get hired immediately, keep the great work up :buttrock:

Oh, btw: http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me man :applause:

Apewall
07-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I absolutely love the roaches man, would of drooled had it been the only thing on the reel, lovely work.

I wanna see some GSG-9 roach squad action;)

:applause:

Nam GEE
07-29-2005, 11:04 AM
hi dude,

very impressive stuff you did there. I really wish i had a reel like yours.
i think you will have big fun with that on siggraph. Keep up the good
work and i hope to see more of your work in future.
cu, Felix

abhifx
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
FULLON demoreel man.....

all d very best for your job hunting.:thumbsup:

behzad
07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Dreamwork quality, you should be proud of yourself, Bravo. Love the music too.

Mantat
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Visually, its very good, but the music is very very very bad... Think about it, you have the same sound track for the whole video which shows various style of clips with a various pace. No good...

Put a different soundtrack for each segment and if you cant find anything that fit well, just pay someone to do it (shouldnt cost more than 300$). This is the one thing tha twill allow you to get a job, you dont want people to turn down the volume right in the middle of watching it, it will leave them with a negative feeling while the quality of your work is awesome!

If you dont get a great job with that, there is no hope for the rest of us!

Good luck!

theuni
07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi,

wow :thumbsup: really nice showreel you created there... I almost couldn`t believe that it was done in Germany :twisted: Are you heading for a job in Germany or overseas when you graduated?

Propictales
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Good luck Ole!

Joel Hooks
07-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Wow, what a fantastic presentation. YOu have a bright future ahead of you, that much is certain. I lol'd when the devil got his mower and plowed through the sheep. Great stuff!

porkchopexpress
07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Great reel! It left me wanting to see more when it ended. Just like a movie trailer. Best of luck in your job search.

Porkchop

hp_deluxe
07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
he ole, great work!

u are one of these very rare talents, that can do nearly everything belonging to cg on a high level. u surely find a job.
hope that i'll once do a project with you.

Hannes

ps: this one of the best reels here at filmschool for a long time, but wait 1 more year... i'm coming! ;)

paperclip
07-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I sure like this. Congrats on producing such a great demo reel. Lighting/texturing is fantastic, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of tuts from you on lighting....
:buttrock:

jesped
07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
I still didn't watch the reel, but I well remember the Orkbabies and I'm sure it will be as much amazing. :bowdown:

Good luck at Siggraph, but as somebody said you aren't gonna need it as your excellent work speaks from itself. Sure you will get a good job there unless you get too much girls and drugs and forget where the heck is the convention center :D

A.Minder
07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
If you don't get a top class job from that there is no hope for me. Fantastic animation.

Learn_w_Grafix
07-29-2005, 07:40 PM
One of best demo reels I have ever seen! I don't know if it displays ALL your talents, but it shows expertise in a wide range of talents/skills.
(If you don't get a great job, you may want to consider getting some investors, etc., and starting your own company!)

Star-Scream
07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
WAHNSINN!!!

man this is really awesome!!!

casesensative
07-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Its a great demoreel, the characters, the animations, all nice. But you GOTTA tone down the music, its overpowering, loud, and kinda obnoxious, i couldnt hear what the creatures were sayin near the beginning after the music kicked in. I would say pick a diff song, but thats just my opinion, really nice reel though, congrats.

snwbrdn7
07-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Awesome work!:thumbsup: This was all done by one person? I think you will have a nice job in no time if not already. Excellent work. I love the spaceship flying through the tunnel. The flying tunnel scenes are always a favorite of mine.

My critiques
-----------
I couldnt' hear what the cock roaches are saying because the music(which I loved) was too overpowering and I really wanted to hear their conversation.

That's it. Very inspiring.

firstsingle
07-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Great work Bukow. You'll have no problem landing in a nice situation.

DaddyMack
07-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice one brother:thumbsup:
It's clear in your work that you really enjoy the medium and have a creative sense of humour... Congrats

akewt
07-30-2005, 04:54 AM
i live and commune amongst geniuses and get inpsiration from it daily. great animation dude. tune is pretty cool too!

iduna79
07-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey! I like what I see. Satan is beautiful!

You must be one of the better at that German school?

Razorb
07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow thats a great reel and i have no doubt you will find work, i can only agree with the critique about the first segment the music washes out the vocal conversation between the two roaches, other than that IT ROCKS !

cgboxer
07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Very nice man. It's amazing! Not to mention that I really respect and like your work. I hope you'll find a job in the industry. I really appreciated working with you. Hope we do another movie together, sometime. Good luck for you in the future.

Tilstrom
07-31-2005, 11:25 AM
great job, i'd really enjoyed that. :thumbsup:

hummersepp
08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
It's great to see some stuff of a german countryman. I've seen the "Orcbabies" already on the "Gamestar" DVD. Stunning!!!
Best luck

tonare
08-01-2005, 06:19 PM
That was wonderful. It made my morning. Your have amazing talent.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 06:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.