PDA

View Full Version : Dual core first impressions

adrencg
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Just finished building my Athlon x2 dualcore +4400 machine. I was a little skeptical about 8.3's supposed dualcore optimization at first, as I rendered the teapot scene with 2 threads, and there didn't seem to be any difference from 1 thread.

After I updated the bios for my ECS rs480-m motherboard(more on that later), I tried again and the time was almost cut in half on just about everything I rendered. Workflow was also noticably faster, but not as profound as the rendering improvement.

Soon after that, my computer started acting like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet and after about a half hour of strugging with it, I got a blue screen and total crash. I believe it may have something to do with updating the bios after the OS and software were installed. I'll try a format and re-install of XP tonite to see if I can get some stabilty with the dualcore. I've also heard that ECS motherboards suck and maybe I should try another brand. Any input on this front?

Mike

coremi
07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
ECS boards really suck :), i think u made a bad choice, go ASUS MSI ABIT way, best i foud yet for AMD.

Phil Lawson
07-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah, dual cores rock.

Make sure you grab the latest dualcore processor driver from www.amd.com .

blaqDeaph
07-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Dual Cores can really speed up the rendering time, you might want to tweak the amount of threads, as some times you can get better results using more than 2 threads on dual core machines (try using 3 or 4 threads).

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.