PDA

View Full Version : G2 worth now it's a Fprime plugins ?

T4D
07-26-2005, 03:51 AM
I read many people saying G2 sucks ( I don't have it )

but with a Fprime connection will it Not Suck and be a must buy ??

Seems a special on G2 is coming, would like to know opinion on it to buy or not :thumbsup:

Worley only has short specials like to get it cheap if it's worth it :D

Panikos
07-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Worley tools are very reliable, solid and are improved non-stop.

Some people didnt manage to get what they imagined out of G2, lack of understaning, ignorance of manual, lack of patience etc

Having G2 to render within FPrime gives more control, tweak .. tweak till satisfaction.

And its not only SSS, there are so more, read WL site.

FPrime + G2 is a killer combo !

ages
07-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Worley plugins like G2 fail alot of people because as i stated before theur UI are too hard to understand. They rely on co'ords and percentages to know howto get the best out of the plugin. Worley is excellent BUT i feel 40% of it is being wasted due to a scientific design to its plugins. Chanlum SSS is free and is for mac.

architook
07-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Worley plugins like G2 fail alot of people because as i stated before theur UI are too hard to understand. They rely on co'ords and percentages to know howto get the best out of the plugin.

But with the new real time previews of G2 in FPrime 2, you'll get the full power of all those G2 features, but you don't need to study any co'ords or percentages because you'll see immediately what the effect is visually. The best of both worlds. Real time rendering is the best GUI of all. Gimme!

T4D
07-26-2005, 06:14 AM
I think Worley plugins could do with a better interface
But I find them pretty workable at the moment .

OK let's get back on topic

IS G2 and must buy for lw seeing it's going to work with Fprime now ?

opinions please :)

xiao_x
07-26-2005, 06:31 AM
i didin`t feel G2 is suck,but i feel i`m suck......i really hard to undertand and can`t full use the power of G2.:sad:

funfun
07-26-2005, 06:49 AM
G2 is not that sucks , except its SSS and skin shading, still need some improvements

architook
07-26-2005, 07:46 AM
OK let's get back on topic

IS G2 and must buy for lw seeing it's going to work with Fprime now ?

opinions please :)

OK, my two cents.

FPrime is a must buy for any LightWave user. A LightWave pro already knows this. A newcomer to LightWave also needs FPrie, since FPrime will show them exactly what all of LightWave controls do.

I used to use G2 a lot before I got FPrime. G2's light groups were invaluable, since I could gang together all street lights or all a sign's light fixtures together and tune lighting easily. I tend to recreate environments with 20 to 100 lights and G2 light grouping organized and made the lights managable. I never used G2 skin shading, but sometimes I would play with SSS. It gave me a terrific look on a backlit company sign once. I also used the light falloff protection frequently since LW inverse square lights were sometimes overbearing.

I've stopped using G2 because of FPrime's incompatability, but now I'm sure to go back to using it since FPrime 2 will support it. I'll also be picking up a second copy of G2 since we have two LW workstations and both have FPrime but I have only my personal copy of G2.

But to finally answer the question, G2 is not a must-buy for everyone. True LW professionals will definately want it though, just because of its big range and (for me especially) light grouping. If you use LightWave to make your living, then the investment pays itself in time saved pretty quickly.

rickycox
07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
I guess a lot depends on the discount price. Hopefully they'll have some vision for us to check in the leadup to Sig.

T4D
07-26-2005, 07:55 AM
G2's light groups were invaluable, since I could gang together all street lights or all a sign's light fixtures together and tune lighting easily. I tend to recreate environments with 20 to 100 lights and G2 light grouping organized and made the lights managable. .

you have that in Lw 8 using selection sets in the scene editor's

if you edit any light setting in LW 8 it effect all the lights you have selected at the time

SO at the moment you have this in Fprime & lightwave right now.:thumbsup:

I have Fprime and all the other Worley plugins I just don't have G2.......yet
Thanks for the feedback tho, I checked out the video's again it does look good,:drool:
but I'll wait to see what it all does together before i put the card down for it.

Carm3D
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
you have that in Lw 8 using selection sets in the scene editor's

if you edit any light setting in LW 8 it effect all the lights you have selected at the time

No G2's light group thing is a bit different. You can put lights in a group. Then tell any surface how much it is effected by the light group.

Must buy? Hmm.. Hard to classify it that way. I use it in every project. I think I would miss it if I had to go without it. I think it's great but I would have to agree that it's not for everyone. Just the hard-core pros. It's SSS is good but it has room for improvement. Right now it's best for flat surfaces like fish fins or areas defined by a weight map; and internal SSS shadows are razor sharp reguardless of what kind of light it's coming from. The mulitlayer epidermis SSS effects are nice as well.

The ability to tweak surfaces the "G2" preview way is really great but I think if I had FPrime that is a moot point.

I think that G2 on it's sale price will be a good deal. I paid $299 for it when it was on sale at an introductory price and I was very satisfied with my purchase.

T4D
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Cool Thanks Carm3D

So Unlike Standard LW where you can effect a light select set on a per object level
In G2 you have control over that light group an a per surface level Cool thanks:thumbsup:

Thinking Verson 2 of G2 and Fprime would give some more cool stuff So interested in what we see when both are released :bounce:

architook
07-26-2005, 10:00 AM
So Unlike Standard LW where you can effect a light select set on a per object level
In G2 you have control over that light group an a per surface level Cool thanks:thumbsup:

And you can control shadow opacity per group per object! What that means is if all of your streetlights are casting too harsh shadows onto your sidewalk, you can tone down the shadows just for that sidewalk just for that group of lights. And it won't affect other objects (unless you want it to.)

It's more powerful than LW selection sets since the grouped lights can even be different intensities, colors, even types. A light can also be in more than one group, so you can have a "all streetlights" group but also a "all exterior lights" which includes streetlights as well as landscaping lights and moonlight. I sometimes use selection sets now, but I'll be changing back to G2 groups both for ease of use and power.

I've only even tried using about 1/2 of G2's features, but the light controls are just terrific for complex light scenes. With FPrime feedback I'll probably play with some of those other more mysterious tools like the advanced metal reflections.

Darth Mole
07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Like most people, I think I was seduced by a few sexy features of G2, but then ended up barely using it. However, with the link to FPrime I can defintiely see me using it more. In terms of lighting, it's a great way of cheating the end result without having to constantly return to the light properties panel, tweak the values, do another render... etc. This is especially the case with area lights or radiosity. I think you'll be able to do a basic lighting set-up, and then use G2 to tweak it really quickly (either with light groups or per-surface), all with FPrime's instant feedback. And that's before adding in things like soft reflections and easy glass surfaces (no more cut surface flip paste weld).

I suspect I'll use G2 a lot more now it's built into FPrime (actually, to be honest, I couldn't use it much less...)

mav3rick
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
i am bought my credit card is on standby!
go worley go!
this is gonna be hot freakyn hott summmmmer

Aegis Prime
07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
G2's control of lighting and surfaces is quite amazing.

My favourite features are:

Per-surface lighting control (including ambient and radiosity)
Per-surface shadow opacity
Full scene gamut-rolloff
Per-surface boosts (diffuse, specular etc.)
Luminous Shadow Darkening
Lighting groups (which you can toggle on the previews to immediately see how indiviual lights or groups are affecting your objects)
Partial Light Exclusions (!)

I use these features every day and are worth the price of admission on their own but this only scratches the surface of what G2 can do - if you take the time to learn it, it'll speed up your workflow no end...

yog
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Personally I think G2 is more of a "must have" than FPrime. Whilst FPrime makes the use of existing LW features easier/quicker (much quicker in the case of GI), G2 adds tools that just aren't present in LW at all.
The light balancing tools are truly brilliant, the reflection balancing options are a god send, and the surface tools take the Gaffer tools to a much higher level.

Could this be the second Siggraph that Worley has deflected major flack from NT ?;)

Panikos
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Slightly OFF Topic, Worley Japanese Page says that FPrime2 renders Hypervoxels :applause:
Hmmmm, maybe some other volumetrics :shrug:

Personally I was very happy after G2 release, many features in a very powerful product.
FPrime was a coup. FPrime + G2 resembles a utopia becoming reality :bounce:

mav3rick
07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
well all i think is fprime slowly but surely replaces lw native render and i love it!

newtek should focus on other things than since this guy has no other thing to do in his life than to supply us with killer plugs....
no really can we just allow genetic manipulation and cloning for at least 9 months just to clone 5-10 worleys.... i'll take care of them and feed em .i think it is of strategic meaning.. sorry God we had to do it:)

GCL
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
I guess a lot depends on the discount price. Hopefully they'll have some vision for us to check in the leadup to Sig.

Same here ! I think a price point for it will probably be in the $299 range. Otherwise, if it's less than that GREAT and a lot of sales. More not too bad.
Just hoping Fprime will "finally - maybe" work with shaders, etc. That's assuming LW 8.5 makes it so.

bt3d
07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
As yog mentioned I think the tools of G2 are a great and useful addition to the regular LW toolset. While Fprime will maybe speed up your workflow G2 will enhance your toolset. I bought it before Fprime and like architook I used it a lot before Fprime forced me back to the basics. But anyway, in some situations I still use it in particular with special surface tasks. My personal favorites are the reflection stuff, for example the non linear reflections, the anisotropic specular (better than the LW brdf in my opinion), the light groups and the image gamut control stuff. I also find the sss useful for some glas and wax materials.
I hope fprime 2 will still work with 7.5, although I doubt it. The upgrade to 8 doesn't seem to be useful for my work and so I stopped updating after a long road from verson 5.6.

Signal2Noise
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Like others have stated already, if the discount on G2 is "right" then I am so there! I have FPrime but have always been hesitant on getting G2 because of it's price.

GCL
07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
By the way, it would be nice to see one day "soon" a Sasquatch sale or at least whenever before version 2 ever makes it out of the gate. Would buy.

Freak
07-26-2005, 09:54 PM
G2 Sucks!

It's like removing LW surface editior, and replacing it with a lamer version....
None of your shaders, or textures are compatible, and it still doesn't do half the things,
that Gaffer did..... Apart from some minor SSS and art mode stuff, it's he's crappest plugin
to date...... As a G2 and FPrime buyer, i feel as if my G2 purchase, funded the FPrime development. So i bought the milk, and then bought the cow.....
G2 has not been loaded since FPrime1.01

I guess i may take another look, when it gets FPrime support, but i doubt it.....
It was a nice technology preview for FPrime.....

Anyway, you have been listening to the classy unadulterated, ramblings,
of the Freak.....

3rd-Axis
07-27-2005, 12:06 AM
I bought G2 back when it first came out. One thing that I didn't like was that Shading Noise Reduction does not work while using G2. That means even longer render times when using radiosity because it takes more Rays Per Evaluation to get rid of the graininess.

I think now that G2 will work with FPrime that it won't matter since FPrime renders radiosity much faster than LW's renderer.

T4D
07-27-2005, 03:17 AM
G2 Sucks!

It's like removing LW surface editior, and replacing it with a lamer version....
None of your shaders, or textures are compatible, and it still doesn't do half the things,
that Gaffer did..... Apart from some minor SSS and art mode stuff, it's he's crappest plugin
to date...... As a G2 and FPrime buyer, i feel as if my G2 purchase, funded the FPrime development. So i bought the milk, and then bought the cow.....
G2 has not been loaded since FPrime1.01

I guess i may take another look, when it gets FPrime support, but i doubt it.....
It was a nice technology preview for FPrime.....

Anyway, you have been listening to the classy unadulterated, ramblings,
of the Freak.....

so in G2 I can't uses my IFW 2 procedurals on the surfaces ?

That a big negative for me :sad: have to see the details when released see it's connect to Fprime is may have that feature now ??

Carm3D
07-27-2005, 03:27 AM
so in G2 I can't uses my IFW 2 procedurals on the surfaces ?

Not true. I use them together all the time. The only exception are the SpecialFX textures that do the really fancy stuff like actually changing how the shading behaves; which is exactly what G2 is doing.. So there's a conflict.. Just remove G2 for that particular surface and you're good to go.

The only real problem I have noticed is HD_Caustics added to a G2 surface will cause Lightwave to crash. Again for the same reason. Two shaders trying to do the same kind of functions. Just remove G2 for that surface and HD_Caustics works fine.

Aegis Prime
07-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah - you don't have to have G2 applied to EVERY surface in the scene - just the ones you want to tweak...

Exper
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Slightly OFF Topic, Worley Japanese Page says that FPrime2 renders Hypervoxels :applause:He previously said that 8.3 SDK was not enough opened for HV access; now FPrime can access them.
A little mistery! ;)

I propend for some Worlye's custom-code which patches the fault and let him to work with HV rather than something directly available into SDK: it isn't the first time that Worley "goes into" LW using custom-code to replace and expand some functionalities. :deal:

About FPrime+G2: he clearly says that they'll work togheter due to in-house code and not due the 8.3 SDK (not enough open... as we all unfortunatley know).

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.