PDA

View Full Version : Movies using Computer Hardware & OS

mmoby
07-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Hello Guys!

Well i want to konw 2 questions, first is that ,in Animation and production houses, which OS normally use? they use Linux or Unix? why animation house use Linux? why not windows? and the 2nd question is what kind of computer hardware use in The lord of the rings? i read about that they used Nvidia quadro series graphic card.

Thanks waiting for the relply...

MOBY

enygma
07-26-2005, 03:26 AM
A lot of animation production facilities are making heavy use of Linux these days. There could be various reasons for this, but I think one of the bigger reasons that a company may use Linux is that the OS is more rock solid, performs better in OpenGL, and is more secure.

From personal experience, as recent as last week, I would prefer to stay away from Windows. I had a few problems in Windows which weren't virus or spyware related that caused me to lose over half a day worth of production time. In the end, I said screw it. I booted into Linux, and the problems I was having were non-existant. I'll probably have to deal with the issue in Windows soon if I can get my next project completed this week.

For hardware, what the studios use is not very relevant in terms of processors. You choose the best system to suit your needs. Generally, the best solution is to get a Boxx workstation because you have another company to fall back on for support, which is very critical in a studio environment.

As for the graphics card, most likely, they were running Quadros. I wouldn't know personally, but it is what I would be running in a studio environment.

Vertizor
07-26-2005, 03:12 PM
When SGI IRIX was still a big deal, a lot of studios wrote custom in-house software in addition to commercial software and plugins for those. It's very easy to port code from IRIX to Linux as opposed to Windows. So the move to Linux was just natural evolution. Expensive SGI machines running IRIX were replaced with commodidy x86 hardware and Linux OS.

I had read that the rendering in LoTR was done on ~400 dual Xeon render nodes, running Linux of course. But there were so many CG elements in the movie that I'm sure it was done with a wide array of software/hardware combinations. That's why various software companies can go around saying "they used our software to make LoTR".

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 03:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.