PDA

View Full Version : How can i do this?

the_beginner
07-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Hello there,.. the question is written down in the picture :)

http://www.derschoner.de/3d/question.gif

Many greets,
beginner

Nu Visual Science
07-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm not too used to subpatches yet but here we go

I THINK you just want to cut a square out leaving quads, After subpatching the square hole will become round.

This is how i would do it but i do a lot of my modelling in Silo ;)

If you need the hole to be smaller and in the centre i think you would just use an extrude.

I may be wrong here though because i dont know modeller too well yet :(

dines
07-25-2005, 10:14 PM
attached would be my answer... basically go with a box. Make xyz segments = 2.
Then select the top 4 polygons smooth shift them so they get a distance from the side segments. Then order the top 8 point in a kind of round position (the rest will do the tab key). Choose smooth shift again one time realy short distance on y axis next time long distance to go deep inside.
After that take all the side segments and smooth shift them out. The closer the points are the sharper are the corner (otherwise you get these kind of round corners).
See the image attached...

hope this helped...

Aegis Prime
07-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Here's my take on it :)

You can download the object from here (http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/aegisprime/SubDCube.lwo)

blaqDeaph
07-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Or if you're lazy like me, a QnD way to do this:

Create a box with more than 1 segment in each direction. Create the cylinder using the disc and use boolean subtract to carve a hole in the box.

Unselect everything

Working in polygone mode (Press Ctrl+H), press [W] to bring up poly statistics. Select only the polys with >4 vertices, Press Ctrl+T to convert them to triangles, unselect everything, and press [Tab]. Done!

the_beginner
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Thx alot, you all helped me alot! :thumbsup: :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.