PDA

View Full Version : Anatomic differences of ethnic groups

Jean Genie
07-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Although anatomic differences of ethnic groups are not as clear cut as they use to be, there are still major patterns to be found when moving from one country to another.

Has anyone stumbled upon a book or website that deals with the subject?

Have you discovered interesting patterns that you would like to share? (for example, how the ears of a chinese differ from those of a polynesian...?)

Any insights are of interest...

paperclip
07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
The irish have a pint of guinness growing out of their right hands. Quite curious actually.

Rebeccak
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Koreans grow Kim Chi for hair ~ no, seriously! It's quite tasty! :)

Mmm...Kim Chi... :)

~Rebeccak

DZL
07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
The irish have a pint of guinness growing out of their right hands. Quite curious actually.

don't forget us irish-americans... we have 16oz pints growing out of our right hands.... with watered-down americanized guiness... oh, i needs to go to ireland!

Wintermute
07-25-2005, 11:16 PM
very funny guys!

the original post is an interesting question though. while I don't know of any such books or references, it would be interesting to find some.

:beer:
:guinness: <-needs to be a new smiley

Rebeccak
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
We're sorry, Jean Genie, we've had long days... :)

~Rebeccak

paperclip
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
My local pub:
http://www.castlebar.ie/photos/pj/AughamorePoetryWeb/dscf0019.jpg
These people are happy from the anaesthesia after having their guinnesses removed from their hands. (Anaesthesia=guinness, obviously.)

Rebeccak
07-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Wait, wait ~ here's my brother!

http://www.asianguy.com/images/bernsstocksmall.jpg

Oh, dang, wait, that's me ~ oops!!

extol
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey Jean,

There might be some stuff in this forum topic that might help you, however it looks like its only about female ethnic differences. There are links to other posts with the other ethnic groups on the bottom of the first post. hope this helps you. Its all i could find !

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=135208&page=1&pp=15

paperclip
07-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Nice suit, rebecca, haha...especially like the glowing eye mask!

Rebeccak
07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Thank you, it's my spec-ial-ity. :)

Jean Genie
07-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Paperclip: No need to state the obvious. Anyone who has been in Ireland knows the Guiness hand is a common feature of the Irish anatomy...

extol Thanks a lot, I'll have a look through it...

Squibbit
07-26-2005, 12:01 AM
well this topic held like really long

erilaz
07-26-2005, 01:40 AM
The "Anatomy for the Artist" book has a good crosssection of ethniticity comparison.

Ilikesoup
07-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Somebody posted a link recently to a test -- several photos of Asian men and women. How easy is it to distinguish between photos of Japanese, Chinese and Korean men and women? I don't remember anybody who scored high on it. It seemed more luck than anything else. My advice is to think of yourself as a Hollywood casting agent. Look for reference pics of people who look appropriate for the "role" and use them. You can do a composite of 3 faces/figures. I don't know any other way than to cave into stereotypes. :shrug:

jmBoekestein
07-26-2005, 02:11 AM
funny thing is I always like inbetweens, a lil bit of this and that, but not too. lol. :D

Bohemiantoe
07-26-2005, 02:12 AM
I don't know of any books on the subject, I think just observations would help. I can usually tell the differences between Korean or Japanese, versus Chinese. Even started spotting differences between Hmong and Mandarin, and Pakistani or Iranian but then I live in a very culturally diverse city and get mistaken for Spanish when I'm Italian, since I don't have the stereotypical "italian nose". I've learned it basically through cultural books at the library. Sometimes they point out things like different indigeneous tribes had certain facial characteristics different from another, though they were all deemed as "native indians", etc.

Those helped more than any art reference materials.

ZeroNeuro
07-26-2005, 03:23 AM
What I see here, is really in bad taste. The original poster asked if there was referance material so that they could add some cultural diversity to their work. What do they get? Some childish jokes and comments bordering on offensive.

I suggest that each and every one of you who decided to post something 'funny' in this thread, step back and look at yourself. You are as different to others as they are to you. Please grow up, before you find out that the world is not the way your isolated fish bowl vision sees it.

To the original poster, for which this thread made: The resources are out there, but I am not sure of where to look specifically. I do not think, however, that this thread will last much longer.

Jean Genie
07-26-2005, 03:45 AM
What I see here, is really in bad taste. The original poster asked if there was referance material so that they could add some cultural diversity to their work. What do they get? Some childish jokes and comments bordering on offensive.

I suggest that each and every one of you who decided to post something 'funny' in this thread, step back and look at yourself. You are as different to others as they are to you. Please grow up, before you find out that the world is not the way your isolated fish bowl vision sees it.

To the original poster, for which this thread made: The resources are out there, but I am not sure of where to look specifically. I do not think, however, that this thread will last much longer.

Thanks for the interest you put in the thread, but I was not offended by the "funny" replies.
The subject does make way for a good deal of jokes.

Bohemiantoe; I am getting to see more and more of the differences by sheer observation, but it would have been great to see them all in one spot...

erilaz; Thanks, I'll definitely have a read.

Ilikesoup; I did that test and scored wrong almost everywhere. Doesn't really highlight any pattern, so I'll go with your advice.

Thanks for the replies, I'll do some more research on the subject, see what I can dig up...

paperclip
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
May I add that the only stereotypes I touched on were these of my own country. I live in Ireland, I'm well qualified to comment on irish stereotypes!! :D

Also, Rebecca is korean.

bmcaff
07-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't know about that Theresa.. being irish also I do take offence at that stereotype.. Here am I doing my best to convince the world that we're not all like that and here you are ruining all my good work... Nahh, just joking.. there is nothing us Irish like more than poking fun at ourselves!!...

Interesting coincidence is that my wife is Korean and we have a beautiful daughter who seems to have taken the best from both side... anyway vive le melting pot.

On the subject, after living in asia for a few years it is possible to distiguish features as belonging to different nationalities but there is so many inbetweens and subleties that it's impossible to be certain. Just as in Europe it's hard to distinguish english from irish by anatomy alone.. actually I believe that motion and body language play a part. I'm sure there has been extensive studies done on this subject, just a matter of laying you hands on them. Beware though, I have read some in the past that have been extremely biased and pure rubbish.

Lilith
07-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Well I don't have much information about anatomy of different ethnic groups. But I have a book about painting different skin tones. The book is about painting skin tones in oil and pastel, but the book have good info about the different tones for the mayor ethnic groups. Even have color charts of different tones in dark and light. If you are interested this is the link. http://www.artistsnetwork.com/nlbooks/display.asp?id=1852

Rebeccak
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
As a Korean, I have offended myself. :thumbsup:

paperclip
07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=bmcaff]I don't know about that Theresa.. being irish also I do take offence at that stereotype.. Here am I doing my best to convince the world that we're not all like that and here you are ruining all my good work...QUOTE]

Sorry Brendan (also my brother's name!), I don't want to ruin lives for these who have managed to escape the guinness tumours. Are you such an escapee?

P.S- True, we irish do a great job of self mockery!! :D

Bohemiantoe
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
I remember now, I had to look it up because this was back in 1995, and while I was researching things pertaining to African myths & legends, I had it in my head to draw some African's and wondered if there was any bone structure differences, etc...
The book isn't an artistic thing, but here is the title and relevalent info...I never did find anything art related back in the day.

Who's who in skulls : ethnic identification of crania from measurements By:W W HowellsType:English : Book : Non-fictionPublisher:Cambridge, Mass. : Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, 1995.ISBN:0873652096

Sometimes this kind of thing is in the science section at libraries. There are usually illustrations of the cranium to show differences. I was researching werewolves once and found better information in the kid's area than the regular sections. lol. The rest of it is observation, imo.

bumskee
07-28-2005, 02:14 AM
I think Japanese and koreans are harder to distinguish between the two. The fashion trends usually tell a lot.

rebeccak, are you korean???

Lunatique
07-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Between Asians, it depends on the region. For example, in Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia..etc the people tend to have darker skin. Then, in similar regions (Japan, Korea, China..etc), it depends on the fashion, media, social climate..etc. It's usually pretty easy to spot a Japanese or Korean person among a Chinese crowd, because they have their own unique way of dressing and applying makeup--which is something the Chinese have imitated but don't got it right most of the time. The Japanese and the Koreans are also typically a bit different in their facial features--it's subtle, but among Asians we can identify those differences. The way they carry themselves is also a bit different--usually more refined due to them being from developed countries, while China is a developing country. But, you can also spot people from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore..etc easily among a crowd in China, because those are Chinese people from developed countries--thus better educated, dressed, behaved, spoken..etc. Kinda like how a farmer who never went to high school from the deep south in the States will stick out among the crowd if he walked down the street in New york City, L.A..etc.

But, if you try to spot the difference between American born and raised Asian, it becomes much harder, because they will all have had similar education, media/fashion influences..etc. Then, even among one single culture there are wide variations--you'll have people that have dark or light skin, large or small eyes, tall or short..etc. For example, a dark skinned and short/skinny Chinese person could easily be mistaken for being vietnamese.

Bohemiantoe
07-28-2005, 08:39 PM
One of my friends is half Japanese, half Mexican; and everybody thinks he's 100% Native American. He does "look it".

Then a co-worker who is, as she says - about 95% Grman, looks 100% Native Indian as well, except for his skin tone, slightly lighter than most.

It's interesting how that works. My features, people usually used to assume I was Spanish, but the past 2 or 3 years, it's changed to Israeli, Syrian, or Lebanese. The strangest though, someone thought I was Egyptian, and he WAS an Egyptian. :curious:

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.