PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick a monitor

jporter313
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey all,

now that I've got a real job, I think it's about time to ditch my crappy ass $100 17" CRT and go for something a little more fun. Here's my dilemma: I am trying to decide between 2 DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitors and 1 DELL UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor. Both of these options are about the same price. I have a few questions:

Does anyone know if a Geforce 6800 (nu) 128MB AGP8x with Dual DVI is capable of running dual monitors at 1680x1050 (the 2005FPWs native resolution)?

Does anyone know what the height and width of the screen itself (not the bezel) on the 2005 FPWs is (I'd like each of the screens to be taller than my current 17" CRT, otherwise it won't have the wow factor I'm looking for).

Also, does anyone know how the image quality on these 2 monitors compares?

I do occasionaly get some time to play video games and watch movies, do either of these get significant ghosting, smearing, blur?

Any other input anyone can give me would be great, I want to make a decision before the promo ends on Wednesday. Thanks.

kurtw
07-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey all,

now that I've got a real job, I think it's about time to ditch my crappy ass $100 17" CRT and go for something a little more fun. Here's my dilemma: I am trying to decide between 2 DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitors and 1 DELL UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor. Both of these options are about the same price. I have a few questions:

Does anyone know if a Geforce 6800 (nu) 128MB AGP8x with Dual DVI is capable of running dual monitors at 1680x1050 (the 2005FPWs native resolution)?

Does anyone know what the height and width of the screen itself (not the bezel) on the 2005 FPWs is (I'd like each of the screens to be taller than my current 17" CRT, otherwise it won't have the wow factor I'm looking for).

Also, does anyone know how the image quality on these 2 monitors compares?

I do occasionaly get some time to play video games and watch movies, do either of these get significant ghosting, smearing, blur?

Any other input anyone can give me would be great, I want to make a decision before the promo ends on Wednesday. Thanks.

I picked up a 2405 last week.

Some of the dells are prone to the following problems:

-Dead / Hot Pixels [like most large LCD's]
-Power supply buzz/pitch noise issue
-Backlight issues

I lucked out with my display, I have no pixel issues, althought I do have a high pitched whine coming from my display, but since that noise is drowned out by my cpu, I'm not bothered by it. I found out about these issues by visiting other computer forums and seeing what those people had to say with their monitors.

I decided on getting the one 24" display rather than 2 smaller displays, its pretty good for modelling work. I can work at 1920x1200 in maya and houdini with AA turned on my geforce 6800 with no problems.

Games are ok when run at the native resolution [1920x1200] but because of my video card, I have to drop the resolution to play more recent games. If you keep the 16:10 aspect ratio, there won't be that big of a performance hit. Bear in mind that not all games support widescreen correctly.

One thing that kinda bugged me with flat panels is the shimmer you get with greys and blacks. Since these displays are so large, the grey values shift when you tilt your head which is a bit odd at first.

As for watching video [DVD's] if you use your PC to watch them, it should be ok if your player does a good job of scaling the video up, or if you are using a high definition source. If you are hooking up a DVD player to the 2405's Component video input, it will do a half baked job converting the DVD from 720x480 to 1920x1200 and the results will be pretty ugly. NTSC mpeg2 streams don't scale well to such high resolutions. The split screen and picture in picture mode is kinda neat, if you want to view 2 sources on one screen [either from 2 computers or a video source].

For the price, it's not a bad display.

jporter313
07-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I've been researching the problems and it seems like people are only having problems with the 20", I haven't seen a lot of complaints about the 24", have you?

Here's a question, when you play games on it in lower resolutions but the same aspect ratio does it scale them up to the larger size ok? (I mean, does the monitor scale it ok, not the game)

hmmm, high pitched whine, that sounds immensely aggravating, have you tried returning it?

Thanks for the help.

jporter313
07-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Dove in and got the 2405, crossing my fingers for no whining sound. Can't wait.

kurtw
07-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I've been researching the problems and it seems like people are only having problems with the 20", I haven't seen a lot of complaints about the 24", have you?

Here's a question, when you play games on it in lower resolutions but the same aspect ratio does it scale them up to the larger size ok? (I mean, does the monitor scale it ok, not the game)

hmmm, high pitched whine, that sounds immensely aggravating, have you tried returning it?

Thanks for the help.

The resolutions scale ok, generally I use 1680x950,1440x900, 1280x800 for games. Battlefield 2, Halflife 2 and doom 3 are playable at 1680x950 on my configuration. All my other games I run at the native resolution with no problems. I do get more screen "tearing" at the lower resolutions but that could be the weak video I have [6800]. People with the 7800 GTX or 6800 Ultra should be able to run most if not all games at 1920x1200.

Some games [like battlefield 2] don't support these resolutions out of the box so you have to run a few command line options, and other titles will run at those resolutions but will screw up the FOV angle and cause some distortion in graphics.

I haven't returned the monitor because of the whine, if I could hear it over my computer I'd probably return it, but when you return units to dell you usually get refurbs, and run the risk of fixing one thing but getting another problem. My biggest concern was dead pixels and backlight bleeding which my panel doesn't have so I'm happy.

novadude
07-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Dell does have one of the best return policies available, 21 day satisfaction guaranteed. If you don't like it, send it back and get a new one.

jporter313
07-26-2005, 05:55 PM
From what I hear they only send you refurbs after the 21 day return period is up, so if you just got it you might check on that and see if it's worth it to you. Just thinking someday you might end up with a quieter machine and regret not returning it (I know I would), but hey it's your monitor, do what you want with it.

Can't wait to get mine, thanks again for all the help and info.

kurtw
07-27-2005, 05:56 PM
From what I hear they only send you refurbs after the 21 day return period is up, so if you just got it you might check on that and see if it's worth it to you. Just thinking someday you might end up with a quieter machine and regret not returning it (I know I would), but hey it's your monitor, do what you want with it.

Can't wait to get mine, thanks again for all the help and info.

It only whines when its in DVI/VGA mode I've noticed, so I'll get it checked out.

I'll phone Dell tonight, one of my co-workers just got a 2405 yesterday with no problems and no high pitched whine or buzz, so I'll try my luck with a new monitor.

If all else fails, I'll just return it, and pick up a large flatpanel at an apple store or comp usa or someplace that will let me open and inspect it before taking it home, even if I have to pay 2x the price.

jporter313
07-28-2005, 03:39 AM
Best of luck to you. I'm dying of anticipation on getting mine, why oh why does it take them 7 days to ship the thing, are they assembling it by hand?

Cheers,

Justin

RAZ22
07-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Hey Justin,

I wanted to their 2405 eventually. I'm sure you're still waiting for yours, but when you get it, can you let us know what you think of it for Maya / graphic use and if you have any of the problems described?

I wanted an Apple 23" but still can't wrap my head around Dell's awesome prices!

bumskee
07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
I use dell 24" at work and at home.. I think most pople would say that instaed of two 20"s. The backlight issue is only with 20" and I think they fix that up recently too. And high pitching sound only with 24". Both of the ones I use have none of this although the one at work has three dead pixels... smack band in the middle. :) not that it bothers me, it's huge so...

Now there is the issue of dark colours with these.. I have played around a fair bit with settings but still can't get it like crt, I guess I will never will.. It's a little patchy.. but besides that it's all good. Absolutely love..

imashination
07-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Heh, Nice coincidence. I received 2x of the 24" dells yesterday, both have an awesome picture etc however one had the whine you mentioned, only in vga/dvi mode. So I called dell an hour after we got them, and now a nice chap will be bringing me a brand new one this morning and taking the other one away, escellent service :-). Although of course, sods law, the whine has now gone entirely. I think the issue might just be a slightly disturbed or moist component in the screen, which has now settled/warmed up.

Oh, for the record, zero dead pixels (im sure the new one comming will have dozens -_-, along with a new, even more irritating whine)

jporter313
07-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Glad to know people are having good experiences with this monitor. I will most definitely post my impressions of it for you guys when I get it. Really though, why does it taKe them so long to ship it.

jporter313
08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
ok, just got the monitor and HOLY CRAP! It's beautiful. Absolutely gigantic, almost gives the feeling that I'm looking at a small plasma. I played a little bit of BF2 to test it, did get a little bit of banding on the EA logo at the start, otherwise it looks amazing, I'll try out some DOOM 3 tonight that should give me a little better idea of how it handles darks.

I actually prefer the picture on this to my old CRT, looks way more crisp or something, can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, it's amazing.

RAZ22
08-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Justin: Awesome! Congrats man. More and more I'm getting tired of working on these dual 19" CRTs at home, especially with the 23" Apple Cinema Display I work on at work...the Dell is very enticing.

Have you been experiencing any bad pixels and / or whiny AC adapter problems? Anything strike you as a bad point?

jporter313
08-10-2005, 01:30 AM
I have not noticed any bad pixels or whine yet, picture's great, backlight looks really even, and it actually looks like maybe I make a living doing something at my computer now :D.

Also, it's funny, in all the pictures I've seen, I liked the way the casing on the Apple one looked better, but in person, this dell looks incredible.

Cheers,

Justin

Brettzies
08-10-2005, 02:27 AM
It only whines when its in DVI/VGA mode I've noticed, so I'll get it checked out.
Do you have any halogen lights turned on or dimmed? I noticed my 20" Dell 2100FP has a whine when I have a halogen light on, and it was in a completely different room. Nothing when it is off.

All the other stuff you guys mentioned is pretty much the same. Not crazy about the darks in Doom3 at all, but I got use to it.

RAZ22
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I have not noticed any bad pixels or whine yet, picture's great, backlight looks really even, and it actually looks like maybe I make a living doing something at my computer now :D.

Also, it's funny, in all the pictures I've seen, I liked the way the casing on the Apple one looked better, but in person, this dell looks incredible.

Cheers,

Justin

Good to know! I'll most likely be making this purchase in the near future. Thanks for the insight!

reForm
11-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Instead of starting a new monitor thread, I thought I'd just add to this one.
Can anyone explain the technical differences between the apple and the dell ?

apple 23"

1920 x 1200 Optimum Resolution
- 400:1 Contrast Ratio
- Viewing Angle 170° horizontal, 170° vertical
- 16ms Response Time
- 270 cd/m2 Brightness
- One DVI-D Input
- DVI Cable Included
- Two-port, self-powered USB 2.0 hub
- Two FireWire 400 ports
- 3 Years On-Site Warranty

dell 24"

- 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) Optimum Resolution
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 16ms Response Time
- 500 cd/m2 Brightness
- One DVI-D Input
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
- Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
- Integrated powered 9-in-1 Card Reader: Compact Flash 1&2, Secure Digital, MMC, Smart Media and Microdrive
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer

In particular the "brightness" and "Contrast ratio" specs.

It looks like the Dell does offer a technically better screen.... or do the figures lie?

Also, does the dell offer more funky options with the different inputs? (ie picture in picture)

maX_Andrews
11-13-2005, 09:16 PM
The dell and the apple use the same phillips s-ips lcd panel. The difference between the two is the backlight. The dell has a brighter backlight (although it's about 350 cd/m2 and not 500), which increases the contrast ratio (white value in cd/m2 divided by black value, so at 500:1 and 350 cd/m2, the black level is 0.7 cd/m2, which you will notice in a dark room or at night. There are a few of the dell displays around school, and even in normal indoor lighting conditions I can say that the backlights always look somewhat uneven (corners brighter than the center, odd large splotchy shapes etc). The apple display at 400:1 and 250 cd/m2 has a black value 0f 0.6 cd/m2, so the apple has slightly better blacks I find that even 250cd/m2 is too bright for most conditions. I have an apple 20" widescreen and I usually have it set to 75% brightness, anything higher appears too bright. So 75% of 250cd/m2 is 187.5, and a black of .375, which is significantly darker than .6cd/m2. I am also a fan of the anti-reflective coating on the apple displays, which keep the viewing angle even and the colors consistent in a variety of room lighting conditions. I have used many professional lcd's in our school's imaging department that lack this coating, and there are very hard to work with and I always have to shift my head around to avoid glare. I suggest looking at both in a store, such as fry's, to see which you prefer. The apple 20" can be has for $699 after and educational discount, and I can tell you that on looks and form factor alone it's a great deal (I paid $1250 for my 20" when it first came out...yikes!) So try to look at them both, see which one better fits your lifestyle.

reForm
11-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that detailed description!

The coating and backlighting do sound like good reasons to take the apple over the dell.

Does the dell screen have any features that the apple doesn't?

maX_Andrews
11-13-2005, 10:56 PM
The dell has an integrated card reader it seems, but according to reviews it is placed in an odd position that is hard to get to unless you go around back of the display. The dell has more input options, so this could be a factor if your graphics card does not have dvi output, which would be fairly ridiculous unless you are running a card from before the year 2000.

The dell requires you to connect all the cables to the computer for the hubs, being USB and media card reader, in addition to the input cable and power cord. The apple display has only one cable running into it, the rest of the inputs are located on a separate block easily placed directly behind your computer box (you plug USB, power, firewire, and dvi into this block, and it feeds one cable to the monitor, keeping your desk nice and tidy)

Update: evidently only the dell 20" uses an s-ips phillips display. The 2405 uses a samsung display instead. I'm not too familiar with the samsung panels, but I do know that s-ips is a leading technology.

A dealbreaker might be the fact that the dell can turn to portrait (vertical) mode with it's included hardware. I have no need for this (there's a reason our eyes are side by side and not on top of each other), but if you want the portrait mode without buying an adapter, then the dell is what you want.

Apple displays are must more consistent in their color profiling so if you do a lot of photographic work, then the apple is a better choice. The apple is a very balanced display, treating all colors equally, and providing even brightness. The dell will lack some of this blance, but will give you more "punch" in the bright areas, something that you either want or don't want. The apple is fare superior to the dell in terms of looks, again something that may or may not be of importance to you. In either case, they are both good displays, and whichever you choose will be a good choice :)

reForm
11-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Great advice maX,

I think the better colour balance on the apple might be the thing that swings it for me. I've got a dell m70, and have noticed that the screen is considerably duller and has a brown hue to it, something I don't want to have on my primary screen for my desktop.

I don't think the portrait feature of the dell is of any interest to me.

Is the samsung a lesser panel than the s-ips?

Unfortunately there's nowhere nearby that I can view these two screens. Does anyone else have any experience with these two monitors to offer a comparison?

octane52
11-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Hello, I have a Eizo L887 and it work“s perfect, Look at Eizo web and compare.

stephen_T
11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
hi guys~~~~~~ are someone using this HP f2105? its spec is quite good~~~~just the dot pitch a little bit bigger~~ and is it a real HD ready? cos it has a 1080i HD mode~~~ http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=monitors&category=hp&subcat1=flat_lcd&catLevel=2&product_code=P8727AA%23ABA
i am deciding buy a new LCD~~~but here have so many choices~~~ HP Dell Apple Eizo...
which one is the best!?

RAZ22
11-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Great advice maX,

I think the better colour balance on the apple might be the thing that swings it for me. I've got a dell m70, and have noticed that the screen is considerably duller and has a brown hue to it, something I don't want to have on my primary screen for my desktop.

I don't think the portrait feature of the dell is of any interest to me.

Is the samsung a lesser panel than the s-ips?

Unfortunately there's nowhere nearby that I can view these two screens. Does anyone else have any experience with these two monitors to offer a comparison?

Wow! A blast from the past! Almost forgot about this thread...

maX had some very good info to share there. To update on my last post on this thread, I have since bought the Dell 2005FPW 20" and am very impressed and happy. At work I use an Apple 23" LCD and to be honest, I think both that one and my Dell look great. I really can't delve into tech specs because I'm not that up on them, all I can say is that my decision to go with the Dell 20" was purely from a financial standpoint.

I ended up getting the Dell for about $510 with tax and shipping. If I had waited just two weeks, I could have snagged one for $430 with tax and shipping!!

The Apple monitors are very, very good. But, for the price, I really just feel like you're paying for an aesthetic appeal. Again, this is purely my opinion, but I'd rather pay less money to get a Dell with a 3 year warranty and take the rest of the money and buy, say, some more RAM for my tower.

The Dell IS black, however, so it won't match your PowerMacs. ; )

jporter313
11-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that detailed description!

The coating and backlighting do sound like good reasons to take the apple over the dell.

Does the dell screen have any features that the apple doesn't?

Hey re:FORM, I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but the info Max gave you refers to the 20" widescreen, not the 24" (how could they use the same panel? the Apple's a 23", the Dell's a 24"). If you want a good comparison of the 2 larger monitors, take a look at this: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050830/index.html . Actually the apple display didn't fare too well in their color uniformity test.

Edit: I read the second post and Max did point out that the panels were different.

reForm
11-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Aha! Thanks jporter313, that's a great set of reviews. Looks like the Dell is the front runner for me again....

Pricing is interesting....
If anyone can find these for cheaper in the UK, please let me know!

At Overclockers :-
Dell 2045FPW = £579 :thumbsup:
Apple 23" = £894

At Dell :- Dell 2045FPW = £799 :eek:
At Apple :- Apple 23" = £807

And there's a few more worth looking at....
The Samsung 24" http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=315197&cks=PLS
The Acer 24" http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=315195&cks=PLS
Both quoting crazy response times.

For those looking for more info on the dell, I came across these good resources.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=906
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1557369

unknowngod430
11-15-2005, 12:50 AM
i actually have a whole dell system... i know chastize me if you will but my comp is a monster.. 3GB of ram and 320 GB HDsoon to be 160 more.. anywho on topic. i have the dell 2001FP and it's a PHENOMINAL monitor. if you look at the reviews the 2001FP and the 2405FP are statistically the best monitors on the market according to max pc and many other sites. between price, inputs, image quality, the fact that you can hook a vcr up to it and run cable tv through it and have PIP is amazing. I've recommened my monitor to everyone i know. i can't imaging have the 2405 mostly because i do alot of gaming and the aspect ratio and resolution would usually hurt quality. i have no ghosting and only one dead pixel with black which has resulted from my old roomate throwing a pen at me and hitting my monitor instead. next i just need to get a card that has dual DVI so i can pic myself up another one. then il be in heaven

jporter313
11-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Glad I could help. I would like to Reiterate that I own that 2405FPW and I love it. I was working with some of the apple monitors the other day and they look great too. In my opinion, the percieved image quality between the 2405 and the apple 23" is about equal, but the price difference is really the clincher. I got mine for $804 USD from DELL, do yourself a favor, if you're going to buy from them do a search for coupon codes, I think I saved about $100 by doing that.

Now DELL just needs to release a 30" model at a relative price point. I was working in maya on the Apple 30" the other day and WOW, really beautiful experience.

Best of luck in your decision, whatever it may be.

EDIT: another thing to keep in mind is that the 2005FPW, although a lot of people have had great experiences with it, has had statistically high incidences of backlight issues, dead pixels, etc. Check the Dell support forums to see what i mean. They'll always send you a new one if you get one that's defective, but it's a hassle and you might just end up with another defective one. this is one of the reasons I went with the 2405 rather than 2 2005s, remember, it is not just a bigger version of the same monitor, the panel and backlight are completely different.

imashination
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Apple displays are must more consistent in their color profiling so if you do a lot of photographic work, then the apple is a better choice. The apple is a very balanced display, treating all colors equally, and providing even brightness. The dell will lack some of this blance, but will give you more "punch" in the bright areas, something that you either want or don't want. The apple is fare superior to the dell in terms of looks, again something that may or may not be of importance to you. In either case, they are both good displays, and whichever you choose will be a good choice :)

The Dell's card ready isnt in the best possible position, but its certainly not on the back. Its on the left hand side, but you do need to lean quite far over to access it due to the sheer size of the monitor.

It has every input you'd want apart from hdmi and scart

Sorry max, but it looks like you just made up the last half of your post. The apples in no what whatsoever offer any better colour uniformity, profiling, even brightness or "treat all colours equally" I have seen and used the dell 24 and the apple 23 side by side and frankly it makes the apple screen look a bit naff. The dell has no uneven backlight, no contrast or colour issues, it is vastly more configurable compared to the apple, which is hardly configurable at all.

One last thing regarding the stand, once again apple has gone for style over content. The apple stand tilts.... thats it, absolutely nothing else at all, its rubbish. The amazing apple style counts for bugger-all when you have to prop it up on several old books. On the other hand the dell stand is wonderful. It has a gas piston raising system so when you want to raise the screen, you press a button and the screen is as light as a feather because the piston is helping to raise it. It raises, it tilts, it pans, it rotates 90 degrees if you want to do magazine editing in portrait mode, its just lovely.

Its like, the apple is one of those single-piece moulded super stylish 60's chairs made from acrylic which sell for £10,000 at a fancy art store, while the dell is a fully functional aeron office chair. One looks great in a shop window, but I know which I'd go for.

reForm
11-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Haha...

I guess the fact Max's avatar is an apple logo might point towards a certain predetermined preference.

BUT ! lets not turn this into another apple bashing thread....

Thanks for everyone's input. I've learnt alot.

jporter313
11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Haha...

I guess the fact Max's avatar is an apple logo might point towards a certain predetermined preference.

BUT ! lets not turn this into another apple bashing thread....

Thanks for everyone's input. I've learnt alot.

Yeah, no reason to bash apple, they've made a great product, it just so happens that Dell also made a great product and it's cheaper.

maX_Andrews
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Haha I knew the apple logo avator would come up sooner or later. I'm an apple fan, not a zealot, and I think I've done a decent job of comparing in an objective manner and not attempting to push away or toward either direction. I stand by the color uniformity and balance comment. The dells, I think due to their less consistent backlights (at least on the one at school), show some obvious intensity variation across the display. I also stand by the "balanced" comment. The apple has less brightness than the dell, and as such the highlights match the midtones to a greater extent, displaying all of the information for non-strained viewing. The dell is brighter and, as I said, will have more punch to it. If you are into games or don't care about highlight balance or even based on price alone, the dell is a better choice. For the features, the dell is a better value. Personally, I treat large purchases such as this as an overall lifestyle choice. My 20" cinema display is in my sight a lot. It's on my desk and I work on it all the time, and it matches my G5. This is important to me, but may very well not matter to others.
So of course, it all comes down to, define what you need it for, ask yourself if it does everything that you need, and go with your instinct.

I'm out. Peace!

jporter313
11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Haha I knew the apple logo avator would come up sooner or later. I'm an apple fan, not a zealot, and I think I've done a decent job of comparing in an objective manner and not attempting to push away or toward either direction. I stand by the color uniformity and balance comment. The dells, I think due to their less consistent backlights (at least on the one at school), show some obvious intensity variation across the display. I also stand by the "balanced" comment. The apple has less brightness than the dell, and as such the highlights match the midtones to a greater extent, displaying all of the information for non-strained viewing. The dell is brighter and, as I said, will have more punch to it. If you are into games or don't care about highlight balance or even based on price alone, the dell is a better choice. For the features, the dell is a better value. Personally, I treat large purchases such as this as an overall lifestyle choice. My 20" cinema display is in my sight a lot. It's on my desk and I work on it all the time, and it matches my G5. This is important to me, but may very well not matter to others.
So of course, it all comes down to, define what you need it for, ask yourself if it does everything that you need, and go with your instinct.

I'm out. Peace!

Well said. Those apple montiors sure do look sweet, especially next to a G5. I was actually surprised how much i liked my Dell after I got it though (the pictures I saw make it look really bad). For me it really was an economic issue though.

As far as the backlight issue, I've heard a lot of complaints about the 20" but not the 24". They have totally different backlights.

nitindesign
11-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Justin still happy with the Dell 24"? or is the novelty factor wearing out? I am looking to get a 24" LCD display so would appreciate any input.

jporter313
11-20-2005, 07:41 PM
']Justin still happy with the Dell 24"? or is the novelty factor wearing out? I am looking to get a 24" LCD display so would appreciate any input.

That's a good question, it was definitely cooler and looked bigger when I first got it, that being said, even though I've gotten used to the size and it looks normal now rather than huge I still love it.

I notice the size more when playing games (WoW looks incredbile on this thing). But I do find a lot of utility in being able to work at 1920x1200 and not have everything be tiny onscreen.

So taking this all into account, I would still recommend this monitor and I'm really happy with my purchase.

Edit: The only drawback I have found with this monitor is that occasionaly, and I do mean rarely, I see some banding in the dark areas, but it is infrequent and from what i understand this is pretty unavoidable with an LCD.

E55
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
check this out
http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3D230w5bs_00_gb_professional%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fprofessional%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_gb_professional%2Fcategories%3Cmonitors_pc_peripherals_gr_gb_professional%2Fcategories%3Clcd_monitors_ca_gb_professional%26&productId=230W5BS_00_GB_PROFESSIONAL&activeCategory=MONITORS_PC_PERIPHERALS_GR_GB_PROFESSIONAL&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&activeTab=specifications&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=PROFESSIONAL&proxybuster=AGMIK0ZYV4005J0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P

and

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp231wb/#specs

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.