PDA

View Full Version : LW (PC) & ATI's 9700 PRO 128 (AGP8X)

SMH
10-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here uses ATI's Radeon 9700 PRO 128 on an AGP8X bus, with Lightwave (P4 PC). I heard the card has some stability issues with OpenGL (as with most ATI cards). I've searched previous threads for an answer, but I found nothing recent or complete. The card is being hailed as a speed champ, but stability comes first for me. Your comments are deeply appreciated.

MrWyatt
10-28-2002, 03:10 PM
Iīve heard the same thing, but thatīs a wile ago. Donīt know if they have fixed it. When a card is good for gaming, doesnīt make it good for handling 3D-applications you know. Radeon used to be a "no no" when I was up to the point of choosing between gforce and radeon, so I went for a gforce. So actually I canīt help, but I would be also interested if anyone uses this combination.

Bytehawk
10-28-2002, 05:08 PM
ati has a history of bad opengl drivers
and no updates to your card's driver

They'll have to prove themselves before I get another card by them.

SMH
10-28-2002, 09:59 PM
Thank you folks. Just what I hought...the Radeon's bad OGL reputation gets even worse when you ask people. I'm hoping to hear from someone who actually experienced those issues. It would be good to have them posted here, just for the record.

minus
10-28-2002, 10:25 PM
I'm curious how it behaves lately though. -- I've heard from a number of people that the OGL Driver issues have been fixed radically with their newest cards. -- I'm curious as I was going to be building a Dell Laptop 8200 soon... and my options are either the faster Radeon card...or the bit slower G-Force To-Go 64MB.

SMH
10-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Same here! I actually delayed my Inspiron 8200 for the same reason...I just thought it would be better to wait for the new stuff to shape up.

Kaiser_Sose
10-28-2002, 11:38 PM
Go to the rage3d.com forums and see if someone will share with you a hacked version of the drivers

Basically what they did was put the Fire GL ogl driver in the radeon set

Kaiser_Sose
10-29-2002, 12:07 AM
For anyone looking down upon AT cards go watch this video. I did not wath it al but I think from minute 40 on you will like all the 3d capabilities

http://www.on24.com/clients/ati/ondemand_020614/lobby.html

vizion
10-29-2002, 03:08 AM
looks very good,-- too bad the lady giving the presentation can't pronounce some of the words correctly..

Steve Warner
10-29-2002, 04:41 AM
I got one of the first 9700 Pro boards that rolled off the line and put it into my 4x AGP 1.6GHz AMD XP 2000+. I have to say that I was very, very disappointed. The performance of my 64MB GForce 2 at work outperformed the 128MB DDR 9700 Pro. Lasso selecting 2000 points or more takes as long as 30 seconds, and OGL, while ok, is no better than the GF2. I've checked the drivers and talked to ATI. They blame Newtek. I've got a 1.7 P4 at work, so that may be the difference. I know Lightwave is optimized for the Intel chips. I just got my 2.5GHz P4 in today, and hope to install it this week. We'll see if that makes any difference. But if you just need basic video card advice, I'd say save your hard earned $$$. Go with a GForce 2 or 3. You can pick it up for about $100 and get just about the same performance.

Hope this helps,

Steve

minus
10-31-2002, 06:21 PM
Nice! -- That's the info I'm looking for! =)
I'll be getting the Nvidia in my Dell 8200 then for sure!

No sense in dealing with a company that goes with a blame game in dealing with it's driver support. =)

Kaiser_Sose
11-01-2002, 05:03 AM
Stever,

I would be interested to see what the results are with the Pentium 4 setup because Lightwave is coded to work forty percent faster with them with the SSE 2

Give that forum a shout ... hopefully someone from Ati will see it

Off topic but I changed UT to use Atis ogl drivers instead of the d3d drivers and it is sure pretty and fast as light

chris411
11-01-2002, 06:42 AM
Wow, thanks! I was seriously considering getting an ATI board but now I think I'll go with a NVidia instead... :)

visualsee
11-01-2002, 12:48 PM
I have an 9700 and the point selection issue can easily fixed by setting the "USE OGL POINTS" option in the modeller. Also, turn off OGL FSAA in the Radeon drivers. Once you make those two tweeks, the performance of this card is quite nice and as good as or better than the Ti4600 in OGL applications.

My only comment is (since I also own a Ti4600)... if you already have a Ti4600 there isn't much of a reason to change to the 9700 if you are a LW user. I'd make a different comment if this were the C4D group. I've found C4D8 rockets on the 9700 as compared to the 4600.

Steve Warner
11-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Kaiser_Sose, once I get the P4 board in, I'll post to let you know if the performance of the 9700 has improved. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Visualsee, thanks for the tip! I'll make those adjustments and see what happens. Cool!

Steve

visualsee
11-01-2002, 04:00 PM
No problem. I will say, that for the games I've tried (UT2003, NOLF2...) -- WHOA! This card rocks with 4x FSAA and 16x AAF. Also works great in C4DXL8 (VERY FAST) and also in LW7 after a little bit of tweaking and experimenting.

mogwai
11-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Check out this link for 4.5 on the aw website, It specifically states that geforce 2 and 3 cards are not supported in 4.5.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_45_NT.html

I ran 4.0 with an ati card without any real problems, but every machine that had a geforce card had problems with the hypergraph's stability.

I've started using 4.5 with the same old ati all-in-wonder but I have a problem with displaying the new ramp shader material node in the hypershade--it freezes.

I'm hoping that it's some kind of software issue. but I am thinking of getting a new card. (the link above states that ati 128 cards may have problems too)

If I do get a new card, I'd try to follow the info on that link

mogwai
11-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Sorry this post is in the wrong place, I did a search for video card info and didn't realize this was a Lightwave forum.

[msf]
11-29-2002, 06:48 PM
WOAH WOAH WOAH ! I have the ATI Radeon 9700 and it performs incredibly for me. Never before could I have so much on screen at once. ATIs drivers have gotten much better and are now being updated monthly. I am stoked because that only means my card will perform better and better. Coming from someone who uses the card everyday dont knock this card it is a truly amazing performer, but of course I am an AMD Fanatic and maybe that is making a difference too.

*pets his computer and consoles it.*

VirtualFM
03-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi!

I am wondering about the current state of ATI 9700 Pro in professional 3D use. You see, GForce4' 60 Million Tris/s pale in comparison with ATI's 360... we all know the bad omen of ATI's OpenGL, but I would like to know what do you think of it now, specially with the recent CATALYST drivers.

Of course I would like to an ATI over an GForce specwise and am really considering an 9700 All-in-Wonder and don't mind paying +150€ for it but I am a bit afraid of the outcome... After all, Games are secondary and I can always buy a TV Tuner for an extra 50€

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.