PDA

View Full Version : GoBoxx 2300 - first impressions..

mattwright
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
I know a lot of people of late have posted questions about what laptops to buy for 3D...

I finally got around to being able to play with the couple of GoBOXX 2300 systems that I received last week, here are my first impressions (if anyone is interested!)

Specs:

P4 3.4GHZ 64Bit
2GB RAM
120GB Stripe Raid Drive
Quadro FX.
All the other usual stuff..

First off - the machines are smart. Very very smart looking. I know this doesnt matter much, but I don't wanna look like a fool walking into a big production meeting, holding something that looks like a toy (or, heaven forbid, and alien on the front... sorry Alienware..) The thing is big.... bigger than I expected, but honestly not too heavy. The laptop, and the power pack can easily be carried around for hours, without too much problems.

On boot up - everything was configured as I ordered, even down to the drive partitions I had specified. All required drivers were installed - the machine really was ready to go, once I entered in the XP license code.. This was really great - I was expecting to have to play around with drivers, and set a few things up - but no way... all done.

The screen: Holy cow. this is a really great screen. I was a little worried about doing work on a 17" screen, however because the res is so high, it really feels like you are working on a 21" monitor. The display is really clear, very bright, and has excellent contrast. Far better than expecting. One machine has no dead pixels, the other has two fully bright, close to the edge of the screen - which is OK. I would like to see Boxx update their dead-pixel policy to 0 dead pixels though - when you consider what you pay for these systems.

I should mention that at the advice of Boxx, I am still running regular windows XP, and not 64Bit... Their recommendation is to wait a bit, to let driver issues settle down, before upgrading. And, this is advice I take :D Stability matters.

Further, one great thing, is because the laptop is a good size, the keyboard seems full size also - which for me, makes a huge difference to work on. The wrist areas do get pretty hot with long use - but I didn't find it uncomfortable at all, even in 75degree heat this weekend.

So.. perfomance. It flies. I mean really flies. I loaded up, and worked with some older 3d scenes I have, and couldn't believe the performance increase between this and my desktop machine (which is far from out of date - P3 3.0ghz, 1GB RAM, Quadro FX 1100).. From thinking that I would use this laptop as a lazy way to start my work day (in a coffee shop for a few hours), I see it now as my main work machine for a lot of the work I do.

Other great things:

Came with a carry case - which I wasn't expecting.
The packing job was exceptional - no chance of breakage there.
Complete host of support cabling, for video in/out etc.
Complete set of manuals and everything to get you going.

Finally - the order took a couple of days longer than expected, because of some hardware faliures during testing... Even though this obviously wasn't BOXX's fault, Ed still expedited the shipping, so I would receive the laptops as first originally discussed.

More on this great machine as I use it more often :D

d7man2000
09-04-2005, 12:28 AM
how is you laptop? still enjoying it ?

does it get hot quickly?
is it noisy?

what do you think about Hypersonic Aviator EX7? I am stuck with choosing the system.
Hypersonic has 0 dead pixel option and components seem to be the same.

I don't know what mobile station to buy. I am stuck between Boxx2300 and Hypersonic.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2005, 12:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.