PDA

View Full Version : My First Post! Dog of War.

DogFighter
07-25-2005, 05:54 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1414/dogsofwar17jk.jpg

Hi everybody.
This is my first post in this forum and I would appreciate some advice!
I did this funny dog (or I think it's funny:) ) in a few hours, directlly with Photoshop. I started it as a quick doodle and then I add a color layer, and then the multiply shadows layer, and then the lights... that was quick... but then I more or less flatened the image and start with the details. That took me longer... but then I got a bit lost... because it's the first time that I used CS (last photoshop used was 6!) and the new options in the brushes make my head spin! :banghead:

ceresz
07-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay and have a smiley :)
Nice picture, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

PerfectBlue
07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
i like the character, but i don't see the "of war" with him. More like a crazy character who wears a pilot's hat because he 'thinks' he is at war.. but all his friends know he is just a nut. :D

Anyhow, cool pic. :)

Ilikesoup
07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Really nice work so far. I can't give you specific advice about PS CS since I'm using PS Elements 2.0. Best thing to do is keep it simple. Sometime when you're just mucking about you can experiment with the different effects that brushes will give you but I think simple is best for now. Besides, it's been said that 95% of your work can be done using a round brush with either a hard or a soft edge. :shrug:

I like the visual pun of a "dog of war" but it would be better emphasized if he had his plane behind him, perhaps with a stamp for each enemy plane he's shot down. Lastly, nice job shading his goggles, but why is one lens so much larger than the other?

DogFighter
07-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Skurai- Thanks, I'm enjoying it so far! ;p

Lord Blue- Yeah... he's at war, but his war is, somehow, something very very funny! :)

Ilikesoup- Thanks! I've never heard of PS Elements 2. I'm trying now to paint the jacket with Painter... It even looks more complicated, but it feels like real painting.... I'm a bit confuse at the moment, but it is all fun! :thumbsup:
.Thanks for the plane idea in the background, I'll think about it!

DogFighter
07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Ahhh... and about the crazy goggles... they are like that because I started the skecht like that... and in the end I thought it was helping to give the character that crazy side he's got.

AlyFell
07-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Haha! I love this Santi! Great to see you post it... I like the goggles, I think they're great! And he's got a smashing character. You're getting to grips with CS... so am I! I swear by PS 6, but it's time to move on... :)

Milio
07-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi there! Santiago hijo!! Nice to see you right here!!! Funny self-portrait man!!! hehe! No, serious, nice character, just some lack of work in the scarf, and maybe the different size of the goggles....I love the eyes and the palette... try to draw some fur and some big strands too!!!

Keep on working man!!! See you soon!!!

munozvelazquez
07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Que pasa neeeeen!

Congratulations mate.

I think is a cool one, specially like the rendering of the nose.

May be cool to make more evident the pane on the glasses, looks without it, but is just my taste.

Ala, lo prometio es deuda! :)

DogFighter
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Heyyyy!

Thanks all for the compliments! :thumbsup:

I tried to improve the jacket and the scarf, this time with Painter and I have to say that it feels better than CS when you paint with it... it feels more real. But it's more difficult as well... I will keep trying, because I'm still not happy with the jacket.

I tried to improve as well the overall render of the fur, trying first textured brushes, but I ended up using just a pixel as a brush, and a lot of patience!.. I think it looks more real... and it's been fun!:scream:

Many thanks Alistair! 3 months ago I would never thought that I'll be doing this... instead of waisting my time doing something else!:thumbsup:

And Emilio and David!!! Muchas Gracias tios!!! I hope the last changes that I have done will please you! ... I will have a go later and try to see how it would looks like with a smaller goggles.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/415/dogsofwar25pf.jpg

BillyA
07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Top picture Santi! .. will he be flying the planes you were working on? :D

How's it going in your new office?
Don't forget to keep in touch

Maruzzella
08-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey!
This character is brilliant and it defenitely reminds me someone I know!
A Spanglish speaker Dogfighter, WICKED!!!
Looking forward to see it as main character of your short!!

Take care!

Peddy
08-01-2005, 09:02 AM
he needs dog eyes, the human iris and pupil kinda bother me.

duddlebug
08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
haha... he's cool. :)

I like the lop-sided grin and the twinkle in his eyes. He looks like he'd have a laugh flying around... not necessarily 'engaging the enemy' or anything... just having a laugh in his old biplane.

(And i think i prefer the Painter version... i get all confused every time i go into Painter and it's become a fear of the unknown... so i stick safely to my trusty photoshop! I really should play with it more and get into the swing of it's lovely brushes!)

ceresz
08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
nice job, i love it even more now:thumbsup:

DogFighter
08-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey! Thanks Billy! ... how do you know we are moving offices now?? ... you have and spy, don't you?!:wise: ... nice selfportrait,,, is exactly you!, and nice web, with all your stuff in it! :scream: ... I have to do mine myself!!

Thanks Mauritzio!. I hope you are alright, and I finished the .... the thing!!:)

Hey Jonny! ... nice one!! you are alright he's just laughing in his plane, enjoying the fly, relax and smooth! :thumbsup:

Thanks Skurai... I hope you will like it even more when it finished!!

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.