PDA

View Full Version : Modeling non-spherical eyes

ahairgrow
07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first time ever submitting a message on a forum, but I was told that CG talk is the best for answering questions. I'm currently modeling a character that doesn't have perfect spheres for eyes. Which means I can't rotate them on it's axis to move the pupils. To solve this problem I tried applying the material to each eye and then animating the individual gizmos for the map, but as you can see thats too much trouble when I could be using a dummy object with a Look At controller to move both eyes at the same time.(if the they were perfect spheres.) However I did see a model done by Daniel Martinez, called "Ciceto" at his Pepeland.com site and wanted to create my eyes like his. But I was unable to figure how he did it. His eyes were setup where the pupil was a seperate object that was linked to a dummy object and it glided across the surface of the irregular shaped eye whenever you moved the dummy. I wanted to email him with this question, but his website it down so I wanted to see if anyone could help me with this issue. I want alot of my characters to have irregular shaped eyes, but I need to know whats the best way to animate the pupils. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Headless
07-26-2005, 01:51 AM
You'd probably be better off asking this in the Character Rigging forum.

xasteycracker
07-26-2005, 02:36 AM
how about you use bones to deform the eyes into the same you need.. this way you will be able to still make them move side to side normal

mr3dguy
07-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Not sure what program you are using. If your using max then luckily for you this is very easy to do.

Edit: I see you posted this in the max forums too, so you are using max.

1. Create your eye / pupil and rig. Create it spherical so the pupil slides over the eye with look at contraints etc.
2. Create a spacewarp (spacewarps -> geometric/deformable -> FFD cube (I think))
3. position the spacewarp so it surrounds the eye
4. using the bind to spacewarp button (next to the bind to parent button) bind the eye and pupil to the spacewarp
5. Use the spacewarp to deform the eye

Now the pupil slides over the deformed eye. This could also be done with eyelids too.

ahairgrow
07-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info I'm going to try it tonight.

ahairgrow
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
It worked. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.