PDA

View Full Version : ISO tiles..

joeldg
07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi, new to the forums..
I have searched around for this info here and elsewhere over the last few days, but cannot find any information on it other that a simple tiles 'within vue' tutorial which is helpful to some degree but not really what I need.

Been messing with vue and looking at making some ISO game tiles and wondering if it is possible to generate ISO tiles with this excellent app..

Some of the control over the camera for it is tough to do and with the perspective shift it is a bit difficult to do to create tiles that will line up with each other.

Anyone know if there is a tutorial on this or a way to generate them within vue?

thanks in advance.

Mike.H
07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
well im not up to speed with your workflow, but i dont see any problem with creating backdrops/world graphics for an isotile based game with vue?

I mean, itīs not something we do on a regular basis, but it has happened in the past (usualy through flash in our case) and using vue for "landscapes" is an excellent solution, camera is the key and realy doesnt require that much work getting right (but it takes some fiddeling around as youīve noticed), once thatīs done, just render away and import into your game engine.

But as i said, i have no idea what you guys are shooting for or what you require from your 3d app, for us vue worked real nice.

joeldg
07-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Primarily for "nicer" looking 2:1 tilesets is what I am looking at.. Vue is my very first choice for creating these environments, and I have chosen to use vue to render the parts and then import the rendered graphics over to the defined tilesize and edit from there.
basically, the "back" of the angled 'tile' (terrain) in vue remains the same and trim off the front parts, some of this can be done with the terrain editor. Because the tiles are much smaller scale and resolution than the rendered graphics we seem to not be loosing too much by using this method. The main point is setting up the camera angle you need in vue, the lights etc throw down a base terrain and then save the scene and use it each time, otherwise your tiles will not be uniform.

With the resolution needed for tilesets not being high, the edits don't garble the graphics and you can replace colors with your palette colors. Vue does all your grass, mountain, water etc tiles nicely, as well as your transition tiles, the primary work is making them blend with neighbor tiles.

I can post some examples after I have a full set later today or the week depending on how the day goes.

Mike.H
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Please do, but it sounds to me you guys have it figured out already :)

Yes, setting up a camera/lightning scene and reusing that is esential and the blending i dont know any way around that, that part will always require some work, anyway please post once you got something going and iīll take a look but you already sound like you got it covered.

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.