PDA

View Full Version : HELP: My computer show no display

igami
07-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey all

My computer has a big problem yesterday and I can't solve it. I hope someone can help me out. I shut down through windows normally, and after 2 hours, I turn back on, but no display on my monitor. I tried unplug & replugging the monitor cable in the back and still nothing. I open up my computer and check things out, and everything seems plugged. I try taking out hardware and putting it back and still no display and no motherboard beep. I don't know what else I can do and I can't go to the Bios because there's no display. What other solutions can I use?

Jonj1611
07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
No beep = very bad. If you are not getting a beep, make sure your PSU is working correctly and if you can use another PSU just to rule that out.

Basically no beep means your motherboard is shot, if it is not the PSU and you have not added any new hardware, then I would say change the motherboard.

Jon

igami
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
I think it might be the supply unit because one of my dvd rom wasn't working. I have the power cable, and IDE connected. When I turn on the power, my motherboard turns on, I see the yellow-orange light, the fan, and cpu fan. But the DVD-ROM did not work. I connected the DVD-ROM on my other computer and it works. So, is this a possibility that might have mess up my PSU, I had 2 fans on the back, and 1 on the side, with 1 DVD-burner, and regular DVD, 1 Gigabyte CPU fan for my 3.2 Prescott CPU, 1 80 gig hard drive, 8x AGP card, and my gigabyte mobo. Oh, and the PSU is 450 watt. Maybe that kill my PSU?

SweetDreamz
07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's your PSU or motherboard. If your m/b doesn't beep, then it may be your m/b. However, with your DVD drive problem, it could signify a PSU problem but I'm thinking it's not.

Is the power line connected to your DVD used by other hardware also?(Harddrive...fans...etc?)

Do a test. Unplug any unnecessary hardware(one of your DVD roms), soundcard(if it isn't integrated). If you want, take out the both CD drives instead of one.

If you have a multimeter, you can test the voltage through there.(Red and black)

the PSU is 450 watt. Maybe that kill my PSU?
No, it won't. BTW, what's your PSU brand?

igami
07-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure if it's your PSU or motherboard. If your m/b doesn't beep, then it may be your m/b. However, with your DVD drive problem, it could signify a PSU problem but I'm thinking it's not.

Is the power line connected to your DVD used by other hardware also?(Harddrive...fans...etc?)

Do a test. Unplug any unnecessary hardware(one of your DVD roms), soundcard(if it isn't integrated). If you want, take out the both CD drives instead of one.

If you have a multimeter, you can test the voltage through there.(Red and black)

No, it won't. BTW, what's your PSU brand?

I hope its not my mobo. I don't know my PSU brand because I bought it from the small computer stores. It was like $40 and I remember its made in Taiwan.

My power connected with another fan. But I tested out with and without. I also tested the DVD-Rom on my other computer and it worked fine. My guess is my PSU might be bad, and i'm worry that it might affect on my other hardware, like graphics card, and hard drive.

Do you think it might be my graphics card be bad that is why is not sending signal to the Monitor?

MadMax
07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
I hope its not my mobo. I don't know my PSU brand because I bought it from the small computer stores. It was like $40 and I remember its made in Taiwan.

well that right there sets off the red alert claxon.

Jonj1611
07-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Even if it was a problem with your graphics card, it is highly unlikely it would stop your motherboard from going through the boot procedure.

How long have you had your PSU in the system?

From the price you paid for it, I doubt it is throwing at 450W, probably that is the peak max with super duper power boost.

Do a search on the net for any power supplies compared to cheaper models and you will know what I am talking about.

Jon

jehutee
07-26-2005, 08:15 AM
i think its ur motherboard.....
(and put a better psu)

happened to me once, exactly the same thing.....

the fan and all working... but the monitor show no display....

at first i thought it was the psu...
i change it.... but still no display....
then i change a new mobo....
then, all is good...

after doing some checking....

and found out, the culprit, is the psu...
not enough power and, somehow, fried my mobo....

igami
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Even if it was a problem with your graphics card, it is highly unlikely it would stop your motherboard from going through the boot procedure.

How long have you had your PSU in the system?

From the price you paid for it, I doubt it is throwing at 450W, probably that is the peak max with super duper power boost.

Do a search on the net for any power supplies compared to cheaper models and you will know what I am talking about.

Jon

Maybe it is my PSU. I had my PSU for about 1 year. Got all the parts at the same time, from newegg, except the PSU because a friend of mines told me i can get a cheap one from the computer store. But now, I know that brand does matter. What is a good brand out there? I brought it to my work so a IT guy can look at it. I certainly hope its not any of my hardware.

MadMax
07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Maybe it is my PSU. I had my PSU for about 1 year. Got all the parts at the same time, from newegg, except the PSU because a friend of mines told me i can get a cheap one from the computer store. But now, I know that brand does matter. What is a good brand out there?

sorry to hear this.

Antec Truepower II 550w runs around 107.00 (lowest I found it) The other parts in your system are new so if somethign got hosed, you can get it replaced. It may be a royal pain, but at least you are covered.

igami
07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
sorry to hear this.

Antec Truepower II 550w runs around 107.00 (lowest I found it) The other parts in your system are new so if somethign got hosed, you can get it replaced. It may be a royal pain, but at least you are covered.

Did you find that from newegg? or another site? if so, can you please sent me a link to it?
I would like to check it out.

Also, is there any Mid-Tower case with a front fan? I see they are mostly for Full Tower cases. :shrug:

MadMax
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Did you find that from newegg? or another site? if so, can you please sent me a link to it?
I would like to check it out.

Also, is there any Mid-Tower case with a front fan? I see they are mostly for Full Tower cases. :shrug:

try pricewatch.com

I'm far too lazy at the moment to look up things for people to lazy to look them up themselves ;)

107.00 was like the 2nd listing for it. Dealer has good feedback

igami
07-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Well yesterday I went to a friend's house to try out my parts to see whats working and whats not. And I come to a conclusion that my mobo is dead. I took out my graphics card, hard drive, ram, and dvd-rom on his computer and it loaded up and hears a beep. So to finally test out if my mobo is dead or not, i put my mobo on his PSU and it did the same thing, no screen display, everything is on, but nothing show up, no beep. I think it might be my BIOS is dead. I will buy another cheap mobo, somewhere around 40-60 bucks, till the Athlon X2 goes down. But anyways, Thanks for everyone that try to help.

Jonj1611
07-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi,

Well, hope you get it sorted, but their is something in your message which could indicate it could happen again :-

"Cheap" motherboard, ever thought that might have been the problem in the first place. I know everybody doesn't have a large budget but try and buy from a well-known manufacturer.

Thanks
Jon

igami
07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi,

Well, hope you get it sorted, but their is something in your message which could indicate it could happen again :-

"Cheap" motherboard, ever thought that might have been the problem in the first place. I know everybody doesn't have a large budget but try and buy from a well-known manufacturer.

Thanks
Jon

hehe Sorry let me rephrase that. I meant a cheap but decent brand. I had a gigabyte board before, and i think they are a good brand. I got my board for around $160 back then, now its worth half. I think my mobo die becuz of the power surges that happen a lot recently. I will buy another mobo, either Asus or Gigabyte that cost $50-70 range. That's what I consider cheap. :)

Jonj1611
07-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi,

Ah right, cool, no problem, hope you get it all fixed :)

Jon

MadMax
07-27-2005, 06:59 PM
I will buy another cheap mobo, somewhere around 40-60 bucks, till the Athlon X2 goes down.

What do you consider down?

Those X2 3800's are starting to be listed, which means that you will probably see them in less than 2 weeks.

You might just want to hold off on getting another "cheap" board and start getting your gear for an X2 system.

igami
07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
What do you consider down?

Those X2 3800's are starting to be listed, which means that you will probably see them in less than 2 weeks.

You might just want to hold off on getting another "cheap" board and start getting your gear for an X2 system.

Like when the X2 4400+ is cheaper. I heard they drop the price a little in august.

Well, i'm going to keep this one as my render machine, internet, and family use. I mean, its still a P4 3.2 HT, I don't wanna just leave it there or sell it. And when I get my X2, it will be all mine. hahahaha...no one in my house can mess this one up. hehe

kassun
08-08-2005, 04:54 AM
I am having a similar problem. When I boot the fans and everything start up but no disply, the monitors shut off. I have to literally shut it off and on 30 times to get the damn theing to boot.

-Kassun

igami
08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I am having a similar problem. When I boot the fans and everything start up but no disply, the monitors shut off. I have to literally shut it off and on 30 times to get the damn theing to boot.

-Kassun

Well, I found out that my motherboard die because maybe of the Bios. Basically I have to buy a new mobo and reinstall the processor. Try another monitor and see if it gives u a similar result. If so, it can be the power supply, but in my case, it wasn't, because i installed it on my other computer and it worked fine.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.