PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Newsletter - 07/05

Kurtis
07-25-2005, 04:38 PM
The July 2005 / Pre SIGGRAPH issue of the LightWave newsletter is now posted:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/newsletters/v2-n6

Darth Mole
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Interesting. Quite like the sound of the hardware OpenGL renderer thing.

But what else will SIGGRAPH bring, I wonder...? I doubt this will be all :)

Auger
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
The newsletter insinuates they might be showing LW9.:eek:

Sil3
07-25-2005, 05:37 PM
The newsletter insinuates they might be showing LW9.:eek:

It says LW8.5 on it... i was expecting to see announced Ngons and Edges...oh well...

bolek
07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
what a joke, again newtek forgets about ngons and other important stuff to add.. another siggraph letdown.. time to use my LW cd's as coffee cup holders.. ahh, better yet throw them out.

digefxgrp
07-25-2005, 06:01 PM
... i was expecting to see announced Ngons and Edges...oh well...

Those won't be out until LW9. This is the 8.5 list.

Shade01
07-25-2005, 06:04 PM
what a joke, again newtek forgets about ngons and other important stuff to add.. another siggraph letdown.. time to use my LW cd's as coffee cup holders.. ahh, better yet throw them out.

What a silly statement based on a news letter that doesnt reveal everything.

Sil3
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM

Who told ya that? I really hope that is not true because it will take lots of time until we get a LW9 not to mention another payed upgrade to have features that should be have been there for years...

RobertoOrtiz
07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
People, can we just wait a week, before we start picking up the torches and the axes.

How about if we thank Kurtis for trying to talk to the community in a direct manner, instead on whinning about it.

-R

liquidik
07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, I usually don't write in these threads but, if you scroll down past the newsletter, you'll find that it says: "showing the future of Lightwave"...

Gianmichele

Sequent
07-25-2005, 11:04 PM
...and there's also mention of a party. Someone was asking about a party in one of the threads.

telamon
07-25-2005, 11:23 PM
What a silly statement based on a news letter that doesnt reveal everything.

you are quite right but... I strongly doubt that NT has some breathtaking improvements hidden behind the modest list issued in the newsletter. When I present my work, I always put forward the things I am the most proud of and those which could get people the most interested.

OK Wait and See... the most important for me is to know when and for what I will have to drag out my credit card again.

Nu Visual Science
07-25-2005, 11:51 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I see where you got your name, You sure talk it
Funniest thing i read this week

assistant pimp
07-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I know my opinion doesnt matter much being that I am lowly beginner in the game. But I can tell you, from a new-booty stand-point, I am waiting to see what happens at Siggraph to see who is going to get my $$$. I have my eye on a few apps, but I would love to stay with Newtek and I believe they will deliver. I have quickly come to appreciate what edges and ngons can do for this app, but it sounds like that wont be until 9. But I would love to see 8.5 chocked full of some love.

Nu Visual Science
07-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah i'm new to 8.3 but not to Lightwave as a whole, Our opinions as newbs matter just as much as anyone else using the software ;)

You want love OK

Lightwave is the most ruthless all in one kickass monkey bungle ever to buss a CG frame

Good enough ?

I think the significant thing here is the Future of Lightwave which is being shown, The 8.5 just seems like a perfectly reasonable point upgrade to me, Too many people at the moment want LW to become another package that is already available, I came to Lightwave so i could afford to make my film, No other package will allow me to do that simple, The only one that comes close is EIAS, But even that has no modeller Hair or any kind of dynamics.

telamon
07-26-2005, 12:42 AM

I have quickly come to appreciate what edges and ngons can do for this app, but it sounds like that wont be until 9. But I would love to see 8.5 chocked full of some love.

Nobody said anything of this nature. Be careful not to generate any Hoax. After 8.5 there might be 8.6, 8.7, 8.8....... who knows ?

monovich
07-26-2005, 12:59 AM
I have a feeling there will be more to see at Sig. What I don't understand is why they released this (in my opinion) mediocre feature list so soon before Sig. Why not wait until Sig. and say "here's some awesome stuff coming over the horizon (LW9 or whatever), and on the near term, here are some incremental improvements" (8.5).

All the peeps from newtek that I've read suggest they have cooler things than this to show...

at_626
07-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Nobody said anything of this nature. Be careful not to generate any Hoax. After 8.5 there might be 8.6, 8.7, 8.8....... who knows ?

...might be 8.9.1, 8.9.2, 8.9.3.1 ...:D

Beamtracer
07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
It says LW8.5 on it... i was expecting to see announced Ngons and Edges...oh well...Those won't be out until LW9. This is the 8.5 list.
Will subpatched ngons and edges come out in LW9???

Modollor
07-26-2005, 01:35 AM
didnt there read our wishlist?in cgtalk?i want character rigging tool or setup to be improve,why no sign of this tropic?pls dont touch modelling tool 1st.Improve animation side.(I hope!~)

ages
07-26-2005, 01:39 AM
July 25, 2005

NewTek is pleased to announce the upcoming release of version 8.5, the fifth free update for LightWave [8]. This new update will include the following enhancements:

New OpenGL Hardware shader option using the hardware renderer in OpenGL video cards to display many of the render functions in real-time. Lights, light falloffs, blending images on surfaces, per-pixel lighting will all be available in real-time, with an option to turn this feature on and off.

- Sounds great, this is what I use FPrime for. Lets see if Macs are supported??????!!!

New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.

- what does this all mean???

New Multi Shift allows the user to do multiple shifts in a single edit with a history profile that can be saved and applied to other meshes."

- History is starting to make its way, this is good.

Dynamics now launch a control window that allows you to switch to other applications while calculating dynamics in LightWave.

- Good move..

Particle dynamics have been improved for accuracy, including interaction with collision planes. A new algorithm also allows large dynamic scenes to load up to 10x faster.

104 new configurable keyboard shortcut options.

LightWave v8.5 will be available as a free download for registered owners of LightWave [8] in Q3 2005.

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.