PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily disabling IK without affecting previous IK keys?

Rod Seffen
07-25-2005, 11:07 AM
I built a pretty simple IK rig for a spider, each leg just has 3 joints with the IK handle going from joint 1 to joint 3, with a point constraint. It works great for the animations I have to do (for a game engine) I've made a walk cycle anim, but now I have to translate the whole thing forward as well, so it's actually running along the ground and not just in place, but I can't work out how to do it without messing up the legs IK keys.
THe forward translation must be applied to the 'origin' bone.
I could just animate the whole cycle again with the forward translation built in, but I'm hoping there's an easier way.
Here's the .mb

orwoFf
07-26-2005, 02:15 AM
what U should probably do is:
duplicate the original skeleton twice, so U have 3 duplicates @the same place.
then apply IKH to one of them and constr. orient each dup. to the original one (joint by joint!).
then simply by changing weights of constraints U will be able to switch between both FK and IK skeletons.
U could even go further and put a locator with a new attr. FKIKswitch with 0 and 1 var's and key them (set dr.key) so U could easily switch between FK and IK by going from 1 - 0.
the whole thing works great and gives U more control on the animation - the switch is keyable of course.

Corth
07-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey oDDity :)

Parent constrain the groups that your controllers are in to the origin bone (add groups to the two controllers that don't have em). Then you'll have to take the forward translations from the controllers to get the right forward movement.

You'll have to constrain the groups, because if you try to do that to the controllers you'll lose your keyframes.

I'll post a new rar file in tdm forums ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 08:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.