PDA

View Full Version : How to model highly detailed ICEBERG?

07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
I am doing an in-game model of huge iceberg,I plan to make a high resolution model with lots of details on the surface of iceberg just something look like those cg icebergs in the movie of The After Tomorrow. And then I will bake those nice details to a low model with normal map. Because of the tight schedule, I just don't have enough time to do that iceberg in polygon way. I tried ZBrush, but it seems that ZBrush is not so good at hard edged objects. So it really became a big problem for me, you guys had any hints or tips or experience in doing highly detailed iceberg? Please share with me, I extremely appreciate that!

Here's a ref pic representing the final effect I wish for

http://www.imaxspace.com/ice.jpg

Squash-n-Stretch
07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I would also appreciate some advice on this as I have an animated sequence to produce in october in an icy region.

AshtonWoolley
08-01-2005, 03:55 AM
I would make the basic shape in polys, then wack it into ZBrush and go to town.

ASW

sadghost
08-01-2005, 04:13 AM
:shrug: one thing you could try to do is e-mail or post to Allan Mckay on the 3d max particle effects forum he's there sometimes..

The reason that I say that is because creating and making icebergs break is one of the material I think he'll cover in his next DVD.So he might be able to help you offline or out of this thread,I don't know it's worth a try and I hope that I didn't give up any info that he didn't want to be out yet..!:sad:

amckay
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah it is true, I have a pretty complex exercise on making one of those suckers break apart and collapse into the water, procedurally breaks based on simple controls you give it, all falls and splashes into the water, creates foam wakes and also deforms the water creating a geometry based wake as well, and lots of other stuff. Good part is once it's set up you can just use one controller to control it all so it's very easy to make changes etc.

The DVD has dozens of other cool things on it and each shot is completed start to finish, so covers rendering and compositing too. The iceberg one is pretty heavy on scripting as it's one of the most complicated tutorials on the DVD. The disc should be out by now but I had to fly overseas for an emergency job and left the harddisk with the dvd on it at home so couldn't edit it all before siggraph to have published. But it'll be out in about a month.

If you have any specific q's with what you're doing I'm happy to answer or help out as much as I can, lemme know.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.