PDA

View Full Version : RE: the capslock thing

biliousfrog
07-25-2005, 07:50 AM
sorry to bring this up again but NO, I'm not kidding!

Has nobody else actually found this "feature" really bloody irritating? I've been using LW since 5.6 along with the rest of my work collegues & we're all fed up with unifying poly's when we want to look at the selection info, tripling instead of moving........& quiting rather than bringing up the surface options.
I rely on keyboard shortcuts a lot & rarely look at the keyboard when working, I thought that the new shortcuts were a godsend.....finally they've gone "generic"...but if, like us, you're regularly switching between apps such as photoshop a simple thing like capslock can really ruin your workflow.
Capslock in Photoshop switches between standard & precision cursors, something that I do a lot....it has no influence on any of the keyboard shortcuts so I often forget that it's on. The same is true of every other app that I can think of, it only affects the text not the shortcuts.
I'm guessing that most people here have a computer at work/college & at home & that the keyboards are slightly different especially if you're switching between Mac & PC, so the chances of hitting the capslock key by mistake are higher & if you don't need to look at the keyboard every few seconds you're not gonna realise.

Just thought that as several people here find it irritating, there might be others in the world with a similar opinion.

OK, you can stop the thread now that I've had my say:rolleyes:

dines
07-25-2005, 08:22 AM
hi biliousfrog...
yes could be frustrating but when you look at the answers you get on this... it is something a lot of people can deal with.
When I bought my new keyboard the drivers software had a neat little feature included - it displays some actions on the screen. So for example when I adjust the volume of my speakers I see a bar with the volume status. And when I hit Caps a little button in the right corner pops up for a second... that I hit caps... Maybe you should consider some of these keyboards...

BeeVee
07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
A tool I find very useful on a Windows PC is in the Accessibilty Options. Turn on Toggle Keys and you'll hear a rising tone when you switch on Caps Lock and a descending one when you turn it off. Now, this could get irritating if you use Caps all the time (it was when my niece came to stay and capitalised words using it instead of the Shift key), but it's incredibly useful if you don't look at the keyboard much...

B

uncommongrafx
07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I thought you were kidding, too. Keystrokes have never been the culprit in messing up a model; errant selections, though, have been quite maddening.

Would you mind sharing your workflow? I'm a keyboardist and have gotten use to looking to the right (where my caps lock light) to see if it's on or not.

What you suggest, however, seemed rather impractical as it cuts off half of the keyboard shortcuts. However, the suggestions provided above ought to be downright helpful to you.

uncon
07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Instead of fighting it you can work with it. Arrange your shortcut keys with this in mind. The day to day modifying and UV shortcut keys like move, bevel, add edges, etc... can all be mapped to lower case letters. Then map all of your create tools and plugins to your caps keys. Then you can switch modes, so to speak, in a logical manner. You won't have to worry about getting in the wrong frame of reference because you would always think to make sure your caps key has been set to the right mode just like your action center and point/polygon mode.

biliousfrog
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm not looking for a complex solution such as a utility for telling me when capslock is on/off or changing the way that the keyboard shortcuts work & I know that there's a light on most keyboards for showing when caps/number/scroll lock are on......I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate your input I really do, thanks........I think that the main cause for the caps key to be switched on/off is by over-stretching when going for the shift key ....& in Lightwave you're not going to know that you've done it because they both do the same thing.

.....sooooo.....until you turn off caps all of your shortcuts will be different. Sometimes it will be obvious such as "w" (statistics) & "W" (weld) because you'll get a dialogue box (unless you're in expert mode).....others are less obvious & so, more likely to mess up your model without realising.

Have you ever used the Ctrl key for a shortcut by mistake?.....are you sure?....maybe you did hit shift but caps was on so the action was not what you expected....maybe the polys got flipped rather than selecting Smooth Shift?:D

I understand that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but cries of "F*&!ng capslock!" are regularly heard in our office when someone triples their object by mistake or turns symetry on/off rather than select rotate.....it's little distractions like that which can ruin workflow or worse destroy your work ( I say again "surface editor" & "Quit"). All I wanted to do was point out that there's no need for capslock to be used outside of editing text, so why does it still work on the shortcuts?

*EDIT* just re-read your post uncommongrafx (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=8884), I'm not suggesting removing the CAPS shortcuts just not letting the CAPSLOCK key affect the shortcuts because it inverts them vbmenu_register("postmenu_2490530", true);

blaqDeaph
07-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Personally, I *never* use the capslock button when working with LW. I always use the [Shift] button, which acts as a temporary capslock.

uncommongrafx
07-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Ya mon,
On my laptop it's almost EVERYTIME that I go for the shift key that I hit the capslock key. In the surface editor, no probs. I didn't even know there were any for the SE. Mayhaps, I'm misunderstanding that piece.

F)^% capslock doesn't get yelled often for tripling and the like. And it's just flat out OBVIOUS when you do a shift-k compared to a ctrl-k; chuckle, ctrl-z is so automatic, as well as a glance in the direction of the capslock.

They can't put everything in there to protect us from ourselves. ;) Nor should they. Based on what you've suggested as a fix, I wouldn't want it as it would add YET ANOTHER layer of something to worry/think/be concerned about in an already unwieldy environment.

THanks for the clarification.

BeeVee
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Besides, how complicated a solution is putting a beep on turning Caps Lock on and off? O.o

B

Bytehawk
07-26-2005, 11:06 AM
http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_caps_lock/

this might be interesting for you

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 11:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.