PDA

View Full Version : Good Turntable Renders

P-Lak
07-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Is there a trick to rendering a good turntable?

I've seen some really sharp renders out there that really add to the look of the model. My models are pretty strong, but the renders always turn out dull and muted.

Right now, I use either Maya Software or Mental Ray because that's what I have and that's what I know (barely). I really don't have the time to click around and randomly adjust settings and wait for individual frames to render. Also, I'm wondering if my lighting has anything to do with it.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.

pixade
07-26-2005, 12:09 AM
i like adding a tint to my keylight. i didn't notice if you had a rim light, but if you don't, use that also. blast it out in white. the materials are important also. i like using blinn so you can catch a bit of highlight with eccentricity

plaguelord
07-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I have the same problem. I always fail on the final touch. Now, to improve the quality, im start to use vray with a very little gi and strong secondary bounces. I also use a little fill light with light blue, and for the material I use blinn with nice specularity.

well, I hope that helps.

btw, AWESOME MODEL. :thumbsup:

P-Lak
07-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm trying these as we speak.

Anyone else?

krembo99
07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
use 3 - lights method - it will be fit for what you need
or even skylight might do for you.
great models..

Sontaran
10-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm trying these as we speak.

Anyone else?

This thread is a little old now, but I was wondering how your turntable animations were turning out? Your modeling is wonderful, it would be great to see a turntable of it or some of your other work.

Cheers.

rustbucket
10-09-2005, 05:05 AM
I love the model, but the textures could use a lot of work. Actually throw in some geometry for the hair instead of just projecting it on the skull. You bump map for her face could be upped a lot, and a specular map would do wonders for the lips. Hope that helps a bit.

P-Lak
10-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the interest Sontaran. I really am not much better off than before with the renderers. I found that lighting does seem to make a big difference. I re-did the angel. Also I've been working on and lighting this rabbit. Both are rendered with Maya Software.

I'm working on a new demo. If it's good, I'll post it here.

cem
10-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Your model looks pretty good but I would be a bit hesitate in using it for a demo reel if that is what you are going to be doing with it. It reminds me abit of a model in The Art of 3D Computer Animation and Effects Book by Isaac Kerlow. If you want to see what I mean it's on page 434, I'm not suggesting you've copied it but you may want to take a look at it and make your own judgement. It's just that if I thought there were some similarities an employer who has seen the book may think so to.

Again I'm not suggesting anything just thought you would like to be aware of the other model.

Kind regards,

Clair

robertkist
10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
changing the lighting won't make the image sharper, it may add some contrast though.
I think what you are really looking for to make your image sharper are the Multi-pixel Filtering settings.

Open up your render globals in Maya and at the 2nd tab (either Maya Software or Mental ray) scroll down a bit, and when you render with Production Quality you should see a category "Multi-pixel Filtering". The default values of 2.200 for Pixel Filter Width X and Y make your images slightly blurry. Lowering this value makes the render sharper, increasing it makes it more blurry. A good value for sharp pictures is around 1.7. You can also experiment trying different filters, but I usually use the default Triangle one.

Hope that helps.

P-Lak
10-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Kwramm, Thanks. Some of those settings can be pretty vague, even with a simple renderer like Maya Software. I'll give it a try.

Cem, Thanks for the concern. No offense taken. Incidentally, neither character is original. The Rabbit is Max Hare from a 1934 Disney short. Men with wings that could fly were mentioned first around the time God was creating the earth. I don't know their history as far as being modeled in 3D though. If you have a scan of that page from that book you were talking about, would you please e it to me? Thanks.

cem
10-11-2005, 06:51 AM
No problems P-Lak I've emailed you all the pics that were in the book, yours isn't exactly the same but was enough for me to search the book as I knew I had seen something similiar. If you change the texture on yours I don't think you will have a problem.

Cheers,

Clair

rustbucket
10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Disregard my post, it was in reference to a WIP thread and i have no idea how it got placed in this topic. Your model is looking mighty fine.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.