PDA

View Full Version : How to get LW to spit out a new LWEXT8.cfg file?

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 04:04 AM
I am still having issues with Screamernet and I think I have narrowed it down to my .cfg file having absolute paths in it. like C://Program Files//Lightwave [8]..... but it needs to be //UNCNAME//Shared folder..... Basically the .cfg has to have network friendly names. But when I cut out the .cfg close layout and hub then open again and scan the plugins and lscripts directory using th network path LW refuses to write a new LWEXT8.cfg file. Is there something else I need to do to get it to do that? I have been working on this all day :( and about ready to give up hope on it...please help.

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 07:19 AM
I give up.....I cannot get LW to renew any .cfg files. Not sure what the hell I am doing wrong but I am totally frustrated.... It says 100% but there is no file being spit out.

xasteycracker
07-25-2005, 07:37 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\

check there if that cfg is tehre delete it :)... not really sure if this is what you want or if you already did this but eh heres my go at it

Aegis Prime
07-25-2005, 07:51 AM
xasteycracker is correct - find your old LW8.cfg and LWEXT8.cfg and rename 'em - then fire up LightWave and add the plugins via your Network Neighborhood - quit LightWave AND the Hub and your new .cfg's will be written.

Incidentally, in the LWEXT8.cfg UNC filepaths are represented like this: "\\\\UNCNAME\\Shared Folder"

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 07:54 AM
thanks guys you are right....But what I wonder is why they are writing there when I altered the shortcut path to reflect this path "C:\Program Files\LightWave [8]\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"c:\LightWave\config_sn"

It seems to be still writing to the default documents and settings and not into the config_sn folder? My God screamernet is hard to setup...lol

Aegis Prime
07-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, it's a pain in the butt the first time but once you've got it figured out it all seems pretty obvious. One last piece of advice - when you add your scenes in LightWave's "Network Render" panel, make sure you select them via their network path otherwise LWSN.exe won't find 'em...

tibes
07-25-2005, 08:12 AM
What I ended up doing is creating a lightwave drive as a random drive letter (in my case I:), which has all the plugins etc. I then run Lightwave using -c to specify the config folder on the I: drive, and remove all the plugins from the default location and add them on the shared location. Then my screamernet nodes use the config from my main lightwave, and the plugins etc are accessible across the board.

It also helps because if you do have absolute paths, you can just map I: drive on the nodes as the I: drive from your master PC, so they all have the "same" I: drive. Haven't had any problems with this setup.

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 08:18 AM
thanks man. I got it to renew the config files in the right area, but I still cannot get a jpg out of LW8. This is insane, that it is this much problem to set this up. It says it is 100% done, everything is using UNC names....

Aegis Prime
07-25-2005, 08:38 AM
How many machines are you trying to get this running on? You might want to try the demo/free (3 client) version of Amleto at www.nodalideas.com

Failing that, check your LWEXT8.cfg does indeed have the paths to the plugins in UNC format - \\\\UNCNAME\\Shared Docs

Check that your output path is to the network drive - open up the scene file in WordPad and search for "SaveRGBImagesPrefix" - note that if LWSN.exe doesn't find the output folder/path it won't write anything

Hope you get it working!

Exper
07-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh... sorry I didn't read the whole thread cos I'm in such a hurry so maybe I'm writing somithing alreay adressed.

assistant pimp... for the LWEXT8.cfg you have to use the -p switch in command line.
I always use it to store and start LW in some different configs simply using some Config folders.
Never use only -c but both -c and -p to store the whole bunch of LW's config files; this also give you a very simple option to backup them: simply make a copy of the Config folder and store it in a safe place.
Voilą! ;)

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys I woke up this morning and going to start on it again.

I am trying to hook up 3 nodes with the master computer being a node as well. I will look into that network renderer as well as tequila scream.

I have another question. If I am rendering a 1 frame still at a pretty large size, I notice screamernet only uses one node. Is that correct? Or is it using all 3 nodes I just dont see it in the gui?

Exper
07-25-2005, 04:37 PM
One node one Frame! :shrug:

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
aahhh.....ok so if you are rendering a 1 frame still there really is no advantage to using screamernet for that right? I was thinking it would combine all the resources to render even 1 frame faster.

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Aegis

I dont see this "SaveRGBImagesPrefix" in my scene file closest thing I have is "SaveRGB 0". Is that bad?

-edit....I resaved the scene shutdown layout and reloaded that seemed to have done it. Now hopefully I can get a .jpg out of this deal.

-edit again....It works now...YIPPEEE

Aegis Prime
07-25-2005, 07:16 PM
-edit again....It works now...YIPPEEE

Yahoo!! :D Congratulations! :D :D

I have another question. If I am rendering a 1 frame still at a pretty large size, I notice screamernet only uses one node. Is that correct? Or is it using all 3 nodes I just dont see it in the gui?

LightWave's built-in network rendering won't do this but Amleto and most of the other LightWave render controllers will. An alternative option is to use DStorm's great "Divide Scene" plugin to split your scene into 3 limited region renders and render one scene on each render node using LightWave's network rendering - I've used that approach many times to do big renders - works great!

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/

assistant pimp
07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
AegisPrime and the other folks

Many thanks for the help and contribution in this thread....I do print work and the ability to make changes and then render out fast is of the utmost importance to me at this point. So your help was invaluable and I truly appreciate it. I love this forum.....

Going to try out the other networks renderers now. I dont do too many animations so it sounds like screamernet is not for me at this point.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.