PDA

View Full Version : Character: Moose Man

EthanReitz
07-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi! I've not had much experience with game art and am trying to learn. My goal is 3500 to 4000 polys - basically in the direction of a ut2004 character, with normal mapping. I'm going to model and unwrap in 3dsmax. Texture with zbrush and photoshop. That's the plan anyhow.

These are the character designs - painted in photoshop.

Any critique - esp. on the points of anatomy (moose and man), gear, tech and overall aesthetique (what kind of game could you see this character in, if any?) - would be very much appreciated!

Thx.

EthanReitz
07-24-2005, 05:25 PM
and front view...

EthanReitz
07-25-2005, 11:03 PM
um... I would really like critique on the designs before I begin to model!

I may have not been so clear on that.

So if anyone has any comments on this character design and it's appropriateness for game use etc. that would be really quite excellent!

I know this is not the forum for concept art but as my plan is to go directly from here to modelling in 3d then I think I'm in the right place...

rob-beddall
07-25-2005, 11:17 PM
hey!!#

it's going to be pretty hard for him to look down the sight of the gun.
i think his head looks a little big.
but perhaps that is what you are going for.
he needs more "stuff" to make him stand out.
at the minute it's just a moose man. there doesn't really seem anything particuarly interesting about him.
sorry for the downer crit
cheers!!

Kargokultti
07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
I just stumbled in this forum by mistake, but I could critique something: the feet. They look like normal feet with hooves stuck on the end.

Maybe it's intentional, but to me, it looks a bit wonky, so I'll blither on.

Thing with hooves is that they're actually the same thing as your toe- or fingernails. So if you have hooves, you wouldn't have normal heels, because on the moose, the heel is where you now have the knee. And if the knee'd be the heel, then it'd bend the other way of course.

On the other hand, you could go with normal feet. Kind of like the Egyptian gods: a human body with an animal head.

EthanReitz
07-25-2005, 11:42 PM
ROB_BEDDALL - thanks! I need the 'downer' crits to help me get a little direction here.

Needs more 'stuff'... I'll have to think about that one. If you feel like being more specific that would be great.

I guess I was sort of thinking of him being this sort of redneck hunter dude who happens to be a moose - sort of like the humour being in the reversal. Guess that doesn't come thru so much now. Any ideas how I might achieve that would be much appreciated.

As for looking down the barrel of the gun I figure if his hand is stretched out pointing toward his target he would be able to look into the the telescope and squeeze the trigger which is activated thru his fist.

Kargokultti - thanks for the crit - I think you're right about the hooves being out of place and the idea of the egyptian god with the animal head seems more on track. If I was to go the other way I'd have to make more things 'moose' and that would really get in the way of him being a standard biped game character.

I was inspired by the work of this guy to begin with: www.pioroberson.com (http://www.pioroberson.com)

But then I went with the animal head and it sort of went in another direction. I'm trying to think of special powers a moose might have. Head butting is obvious but how to make that a part of the character...

rob-beddall
07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
hey!!

head butting as part of the character? give him a crash helmet.
or an army helmet.
or an old style bike helmet. (eval kenieval)
as for "stuff"
i dunno really. the gun on his arm is a nice idea but it just doesn't work for me ( it's also a tad cliche')
if you want to go with the redneck theme then give him reednect stuff.
huntung hat, checker coat. don't know what they have, not many rednecks here. chainsaw as a weapon instead of the gun. errrrm. tobacco puch for chewing tobacco. i'm just going from what i remember rednecks looking loike in films.

cheers!!

Mastahful
07-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Hey, I like the character but im not sure about the robotic arm...as for the legs id personally model full on moose like legs as apposed to human.

theuni
07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi Ethan,

I just love this slightly birdbrained looking guy. Don't even think about putting a helmet or something on his head ;) Its just beautiful as it is... maybe you could enhance his horns or forehead with metal plates or something similar... this also could be logical because of the special move you mentioned... it was something like knock outs with his head, right?

Well there is one thing Im not quit sure about... the hipe and the feets do not look correctly to me... but you know pal, only my unskilled, humble opinion :) Maybe you could think of human legs and put more of the moose portions to another section of your character. Oh, maybe he even could be a foot taller or so... he looks a bit compact at the moment... but all in all... a great character Ethan you set off there... :thumbsup: Keep it coming...

EthanReitz
07-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey theuni - thanks for the pos. feedback and crits :) I think you're right - he's a bit on the compact side. I sort of like how he looks from the side but maybe I just made him too wide in the front view. I'll have to experiment. As for what part is moose and what human I have lot's of ideas and will have to decide on one... I guess either just the head is moose or the head and lower body but that seems a little too much...

Mastahful - I'm not sure about the robotic arm either. I guess I was thinking it would be nice to make sort of a cybour character like in ut2004 but that might not really fit with his goofy comic look.

Back to the sketch pad...

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2005, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.