PDA

View Full Version : Visual effects Demoreel

poka-studio
07-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi,

This is my first demoreel.
This is mostly work i did recently for 2 short movies.
I'm seriously willing to work for the vfx industry, and i hope the quality of my work is good enough to start a new career.
Feel free to comment and criticize, i'm looking for some feedback !

Edit: I removed the tornado shot, and added the "snow shot" breakdown.

Also, i moved to Montréal, Canada, i have a work permit, and i'm looking for a job in the Vfx industry in this city.
Feel free to write at:
corentin@suny2000.com

Thanks !
S.

http://www.suny2000.com/commercial/vfxreel/vfxreelmosaic.jpg

Demoreel (Quicktime, 17megs) (http://www.suny2000.com/commercial/vfxreel/reel052005.html)

www.suny2000.com (http://www.suny2000.com)

Fantasis
07-24-2005, 05:45 PM
awesome!.......

Neejoh
07-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Nice! I really like the humour in it :D How the snail parked is house between the cars ;) Well done!

xtetra
07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
That was absolutely fantastic! I LOVE the snail, that was just brilliant!

neiy0
07-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah, nice reel, I agree with the others :thumbsup:

I like you ability to keep things looking really real, and not overdone.

4*'s from me!

Cheers :beer:
-Neil

DoubleSupercool
07-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Suny, really nice stuff. I have to say I was impressed with the lighting as it really ties the scenes together. Any chance of some tut's on how you did it all ;)

Gangstashers
07-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Wow nice :D ive seen a few of your effect tests before nice to see some more ^^

i always had that question..

maby you can explain how you did the avalanche crack while some guye rols and falls on the snow?

Sheherryar

Ac0rN
07-28-2005, 03:07 AM
great stuff you got there :)

the tornado felt a litle fake at the bottom... not the whole thing but you can se some particles that just pops up at the bottom of it, alltho the tornade itself is great :thumbsup:

and great lightning too

Wilk0
07-28-2005, 05:56 AM
The snail looked amazing! :D

But the mini really could've used some damage after it landed? The model didn't change, it didn't look like it was a very hard impact. Maybe some crunching metal sounds coulda fixed that too. :)

Capn_Camo
07-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey dude,

Just checked out the reel. Though it isnt very large there is still plenty of awesome work on it. I remember reading about and watching the snail from a work in progress thread quite a while ago. It's such a simple idea and its executed so perfectly - really well done in that part. My only crit is with the blue car crashing, it just seems a little bouncy and the car itself is kind of cartoony. You used the same scene again with a levitating tractor and I felt that one worked and looked far better. Anyways, awesome reel mate

Top notch and good luck in the future! :buttrock:

poka-studio
07-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for your comments and critiques !

The tornado shot is the oldest, and was only a particle test. I'm going to remove it of the demoreel, as it's quite weak.

I'm not very happy with the car crash animation too, but i had to do this very quicly for a short film. I did a few animation tests, and the director choosed this one, which i don't like very much. The other problem was that in other shots the car is real, so i couldn't modify it, or choose a better angle.

The snow breaking shot is done with some very simple geometry that i animated by hand in 3dsmax, and a few layers of particles (a some practical smoke in compositing). It's a shame the plate lighting is so dull, but when we shoot this the weather was very bad.

S.

jamesbarnes
07-29-2005, 08:33 AM
This is wicked, did u use afterburn in any of the shots??
if this isnt good enough for a vfx job, then im screwd!

poka-studio
08-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, i used Afterburn for the tornado, and for the smoke in the blue car shot.

S.

thierryg
08-08-2005, 05:17 AM
wow !
I like it.

KFalcon09
10-11-2005, 02:05 AM
The snail parked on the side of the road.... classic.

Aedilhum
10-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Very cool suny.
I love the snow breaking and the snail shots. nicely done!

Winner
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
nice work !

the snow breaking sequence was very impressive..

whats the name of the music track ?

poka-studio
10-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't remember the track name, but the music is by Amon Tobin (ninja tune).

As an update: I moved in Montréal, Canada last week, i have a work permit, and i'm looking for a job in the Vfx industry in this city.
If you're interested, write to:
corentin@suny2000.com

Thanks !
S.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.