PDA

View Full Version : Geforce FX 6800 Or Quadro Fx 700?!

mohamad
07-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi friends. I wana to upgrade my graphic card. before 2 years ago I easily select one from three or four choise but now! we have so many different drives with near price; So what's better?

I want pay near 400$ to buy graphic card. I work with 3dsmax 6 and really like it be compatible also I play some high quality games in my free times.

I search about it in the net and now have some choice:
1- GeForce FX 6800 (Ultra or Gt)
2- Quadro FX 700
3- ATI Radeon 9800 pro

I really don't what of these are better for me! do you suggest other graphic card?

SweetDreamz
07-24-2005, 05:33 PM
3- ATI Radeon 9800 pro
You can grab that at around $100 if you can find the deal...so that wouldn't really fit your budget. Plus, it's a lower end card nowadays.

If you're gaming and doing CG work, go with the GeForce 6800. Your choice for GT or Ultra. Personally, I prefer BFG cards(lifetime warranty, OC'ed OOB), then eVGA.

mohamad
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I never used ATI series for graphic card. So thanks! but what's about quadro 700? it's old card and I know quadro 4200 is available with fire price! So did you think if I forget games, quadro 700 will be better choice from 6800?

BlueTide
07-25-2005, 06:57 PM
2- Quadro FX 700
3- ATI Radeon 9800 pro

Depending on the exact requirements (speed may not be the only one), I would say it is quite an easy choice for GF 6800. ATI is at times shaky with pro-aps and OpenGL, to put it nicely, QFX 700 a bit underpowered and it really does not all that much difference to have a Quadro.

That said, the speed differences are not alway that major, even between generations of cards. It all kind of depends. In any case, would I be wrong, you could alway soft-mod the gf6800 to Quadro 4000 and try it out. There difference I got was rather minimal, we tested it with a max demo some time back, and I have no good reason for a Quadro it seems. Other than it is cool, of course. Yet it all depends what you want and what you need, not what I need.

Arcon
07-25-2005, 10:27 PM
So did you think if I forget games, quadro 700 will be better choice from 6800?

the quadro700 is based of the same chipset as the GeForce 5950XT, about half the speed (if that) of a 6800GT. for games or 3D apps, there's no contest ;)

mohamad
07-26-2005, 09:35 PM
It's cool. so you say I have clarified?! ok so i will go for geforce fx 6800. but two another questions:
1- what's different between 6800 GT and Ultra?
2- What Quadro series prive are higher than Geforce Fx series?

Arcon
07-26-2005, 11:33 PM
It's cool. but two another questions:
2- What Quadro series prive are higher than Geforce Fx series?

in answer to 1- about 10% speed difference at most, except the ultra would be more costly and probably have a noisier fan. i recommend the GT.

2- if u mean what quadros are faster than the FX or 6 series..., well the 4400 is a fast quadro, but ludicrously expensive, and for US$600 the GeForce 7800GTX beats all quadros :)

lazyphoton
07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
I guess that speed-wise the FX series can match the Quadro, but there should be a good reason why, with similar speeds, the Quadro are so much more expensive, no?

Maybe the overall quality of components, programmable shaders (which by the way don't know anything about), extra stuff, I don't know...

Can anyone please clarify this?

Arcon
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
there should be a good reason why, with similar speeds, the Quadro are so much more expensive, no? Maybe the overall quality of components, programmable shaders

yeah i don't know what those programmable shaders mean... component quality wouldn't be an issue - the all come from some factory in asia somewhere... 'quadro drivers' seem to mean something special....apparently... ;)

quadros have hardware window IDs, meaning that in a 3D app you can have for example the outliner and the attribute editor over an openGL screen and there won't be a slowdown, i've noticed with my 6600GT in some cases there can be a slowdown if there are more than one window being dragged over the viewport. that's the only difference i know of which i've seen myself... even in maya 6 the redline in the graph editor is fixed with all GeForce cards, it used to be greyed out due to a display glitch.

SweetDreamz
07-27-2005, 11:36 PM
The difference lies in the clock speed and pipelines. And Ultra is probably the best components. nVidia would just mark the components that don't pass the Ultra test GT. I think.

However, GT is more bang for you buck. Most GTs can overclock to Ultra speeds and better. Oh, the Ultra has a bigger board also and of course, a noisier cooler.

And, don't get the Ultra when you can get the 7800GTX for a hundred or so more at a much better performance.

mohamad
07-31-2005, 10:49 PM
hey! good community started. I think it will become better.

I ask from my friends also ask from some hardware dealers company, finaly all of them suggest Geforce fx 7800! it's 745$ in my country. one of them said that 7800 is PCI and need motheboard that support it. he suggest Tyan Thunder S2891. it's server class and powerfull mb with high price. (he suggest me it because I said that want Dual Processor MB).

This MB is 600$ that suppor two 64 bit CPU! it will become nice system!!

But I can't yet understand what is mine reason for high different in price of Geforce Fx and Ultra as you say fx is better?!

I going to nvidia web site (nvidia.com) and read it about 7800 and:

FX 7800 New Services:
CineFX 4.0: developers can create and display the most advanced and high-quality visual effects for emerging PC games and other cutting-edge visual applications.

Intellisample 4.0: two new antialiasing modes—transparency adaptive supersampling and transparency adaptive multisampling—which increase the quality and performance of antialiasing.

UltraShadow II Technology: Enhances the performance of bleeding-edge games; 2nd-generation technology delivers more than 4x the shadow processing power over the previous generation.

Quadro FX 4500:
It's too long so please read it in this page of nvidia web site:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_uhe.html

As you can see in description and perfomance of 7800, speak more about quality of the games and about quadro speack more about CAD and DCC.

What you think yet?

Arcon
07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
don't even bother reading what manufacturers say about they're own products (apart from technical specifications). its marketing and means basically squat. the 7800GTX is the fastest all-round graphics card on the planet, and will remain so for at least a year.

you don't need a Tyan Thunder board for it, that sales person was just trying to sell you the most expensive system. a regular socket 939 moherboard with PCIe (PCI Express) will do fine and give you just as much graphics perormance.

mlmiller1983
08-01-2005, 12:48 AM
I would go for GeForce 7800 GTX. Unless your doing 3D to make money I wouldn't buy a Quadro card.Well retail anyways.

If you still want a Quadro FX card you could always look on ebay. I own a Quadro FX 4000 which I got on ebay for about $600. I got my GeForce 6800 GT for about $250. Both were still in the box and everything so they were still under factory warranty.

I got the Quador FX 4000 for my Dual 3.2GHz Xeon Workstation and the GeForce 6800 GT for my 3.2GHz P4 workstation. :thumbsup:

catamount
08-01-2005, 01:33 AM
7800GTX equivalent of 2 6800GT cards in SLI. go figure.

mlmiller1983
08-01-2005, 02:54 AM
7800GTX equivalent of 2 6800GT cards in SLI. go figure.

Crazy isn't it. One generation older and twice the power of. The 7800 GTX will be the card I get when I build a AMD 64 X2 PC. Hopefully that will be be by the end of year!

lots
08-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Its actually closer in performance to two 6800 Ultras. In most cases it beats them out..

mohamad
08-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Friends, Our topic changed from this thread title, so I start new thread with better title to get
better result. In new thread we can speak more about this subject and also speak about another good brands.
you can continue this thread in this link if you are interest:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=263728

Title of it:
Best Choice For Professional HomeStation Graphic Card (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=263728)

yalcinaydin
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi friends. I wana to upgrade my graphic card. before 2 years ago I easily select one from three or four choise but now! we have so many different drives with near price; So what's better?

I want pay near 400$ to buy graphic card. I work with 3dsmax 6 and really like it be compatible also I play some high quality games in my free times.

2- Quadro FX 700
3- ATI Radeon 9800 pro

I really don't what of these are better for me! do you suggest other graphic card?

In 3D Studio Max Quadros are faster than gaming oriented GeForces.
Also you should khow that all Quadros are modified version of an GeForces, so many of GeForce graphic cards can be made Quadro just with software.:thumbsup:
I'm searching this process right now and can give some links about this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-191214.html (archive/index.php/t-191214.html)
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2620
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=122413
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=72188

Why Quadro is faster than GeForce in 3D Studio Max?
- driver optimization
- high resolution output support

Some softmod results:
- Geforce4 Ti 4600 -------> Quadro4 900
- geforce fx 5950ultra ----> Quadro FX3000
- geforce 6800 -----------> quadro 4000

But in games at high resolutions 7800GTX is nearly two times faster than a 6800GT!
Latest Quadro4500 is based on 7800GTX:twisted:

yalcinaydin
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
sory, double post due to the rule of 'controlling the first two posts'

mohamad
08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
In 3D Studio Max Quadros are faster than gaming oriented GeForces.
Also you should khow that all Quadros are modified version of an GeForces, so many of GeForce graphic cards can be made Quadro just with software.:thumbsup:

Hey Thanks; you get me Good information. But it can't clarified for me the reason of high different price between quadro and geforce! we will discuss more about it in new thread if you are interest:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=263728

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.