PDA

View Full Version : Maya: Create Poly Tool and Boolean are a No No?

mysrh
07-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm trying to create a house wall from a floorplan using Create Polygon Tool, then using Extrude Edge to give thickness to the wall. From there I use Extrude Faces to erect the wall.

Now, I also want to create a door/window. I tried to use Boolean>Difference into use.
However, everytime I tried both wall and the cube disappeared.

Is there anyway I can overcome this? Otherwise I have to create each wall from Polygon Primitive, which won't look nice and not efficient.

Thank you for the help & suggestion in advance

Kind regards,
mysrh

housewarmer
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
The boolean tools are a bit twitchy sometimes. From my experience the number one cause of failure is to try any boolean op. with poly surfaces that aren't fully enclosed volumes (i.e. a 5 sided cube.

ford
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
It helped me once to scale my object very big and after that they did not disappear.

Anyway, I met the problem a lot of times. When I asked people whether to use boolians or not, they told me not to use them becouse they can make your meshes too complex and you have to correct the meshes after you used the tool which is somtimes harder work then to do what you wanted without booleans.

mr3dguy
07-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I don't use maya. I think one possible problem is that there isn't enough mesh information for boolean to work with. try slicing the wall up a bit to give it more mesh and see if that works.

As housewarmer states, booleans can be very twitchy, and almost never very economical in terms of poly count and tidyness.

mysrh
07-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I thank you all for the time responding my question.

I used face extrusion from 1 single poly cube to make walls of a house. It always works when the number of walls are a few. After extruding lots of walls, the boolean starts not working, until my teacher extracted the wall I want to do the boolean with.

If as people said to avoid boolean, then what tool I use to make hole from an object?

ford
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
If you extract the walls by extruding polygons or edges - take care of the
"keep faces togeather" switch! (I use Maya)
If it is off, the new faces ar not connetced,
which is sometimes not visible.
In this case you do not have a closed
wire to do the booleans with!

AmyScott-Murray
08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
If as people said to avoid boolean, then what tool I use to make hole from an object?

I use the split polygon tool to divide up the wall into smaller faces, with one of them the right shape & size for the window. Then just delete the face.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.