PDA

View Full Version : Environment - Future Gas Station

jOBe
07-24-2005, 02:33 AM
Since my space taxi is nearly completed i've been busy making some environments.
I started with a gas station. Its located in the Undercity, a dark, messy region within our giant futuristic city called metro.
Heres a first mesh, I'm quite happy with it and dont think i'll make a lot more to it other than a bit more meshcleaning and some changes if any good feedback / crits come in.
I'm too lazy to scan the concept right now :-)
Polycount is 2k right now and wont go above 3k.
crit away.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/gas1.gif

RO
07-24-2005, 02:51 AM
YAY your making a scene looking forward to this!

Missed
07-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Looks good and is a nice idea. But do people in the future use gas? i think they would use difrent kind of energy, the energy needed to hover is enourmus , and can not be generated with petrol or whatever. Nuclear power might do it

jOBe
07-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Desp#2/Rog> :cool: Yeah me too !

Missed> the game concept has a lot of weird things in it. Its all about fun and a fun world, no realism needed.
If you take a closer look at the taxi youll see that im using different styes, from oldtimer to futuristic, so is our world.

oh, btw the GAS is temp, please ignore it, i still have to work out a proper textstyle.

LordDubu
07-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Looks good and is a nice idea. But do people in the future use gas? i think they would use difrent kind of energy, the energy needed to hover is enourmus , and can not be generated with petrol or whatever. Nuclear power might do it

There are lots of gasses out there... and many that will probably be discovered (invented) later. Sure the sign says gas... but that doesn't mean it's petrolium based.

franklyn
07-24-2005, 06:13 AM
whats futuristic about it ?. it looks pretty nice but i dont see anything scifi or futuristic.

Wayne Adams
07-24-2005, 06:46 AM
post apocolyptic is my guess

jOBe
07-24-2005, 12:17 PM
yup, its rather a post apocalyptic style than pure 'sci fi'. Think of a gas station in the fallout Universe, built in the lowest level of a city thats built upwards, with the rich living up in the towers, and the poor living down on the floor with all the toxic waste and old, non/futuristic buildings.

HellBoy
07-24-2005, 12:41 PM
wow, that really needs heck of a UV editing

great Job Jobe :thumbsup:

Good Luck

franklyn
07-24-2005, 01:15 PM
ok ...well then i geuss you need a lot of wear and tear then ? i love postapocalyptic settings, maybe you should bend some of ur props and maybe make a few cracks?

jOBe
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
MWarsame > im not going to UV Map this. Since this is a game environment i need to use textures from a set that are mostly tileable, so im just gonna planar map each face and tile the textures on them.

franklyn> the props are not finished yet, most of the simple boxes that are standing around are gonna be worked over.

jOBe
07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
made a quick color / mood concept in preparation for texturing.
still a lot of lights missing, especially the 'GAS' Text.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/concept_color.jpg

MALicivs
07-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey, it looks good, but personally I wouldn't go that way. I think it has too much colours in it. I think it would look great in a more "fallout"/"blade runner" style. But that just my personal opinion. Both the model and the concept look very good. It just ain't something I would do :D

Either way i'm really looking forward to see it finished :thumbsup:

MALicivs

jOBe
07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
actually i tried to get into the fallout / bladerunner style.

What would you do different to achive that look? Just reduce color saturation?

HellBoy
07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
wow, Jobe I dunno what is meant by texture on tileable planer map. but that is way good, I noticed the GAS print is not there

WesleyTack
07-27-2005, 01:14 AM
this is looking really fine Jobe, the design is very cool, can't wait to see what style of texturing you will use for this. And of course the fuel pumps is something i can't wait to feest my eyes on :)

DevilHacker
07-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Hey, looking real good.
Cant wait to see an finished model.
One small question if you don’t mind…
You said earlier, that you have been working on this game for quite awhile in your free time… But what type of game is this supposed to be? Is it more open-ended like GTA, where your going to be able to go into the buildings, or more like ‘taxi driver’ game where you drove people around a city, collecting money the faster you got them there…?

jOBe
07-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey, looking real good.
Cant wait to see an finished model.
One small question if you don’t mind…
You said earlier, that you have been working on this game for quite awhile in your free time… But what type of game is this supposed to be? Is it more open-ended like GTA, where your going to be able to go into the buildings, or more like ‘taxi driver’ game where you drove people around a city, collecting money the faster you got them there…?

well, aimed gameplay is rather the casual game 'taxi driver' one, especially for October, since we finish the project then, if we dont find a publisher, that is. (We're quite relalistic and dont think it will happen but who knows).
Thou we are trying to create a very open world just like in GTA, on a extrely lower scale considering gamecontent.

jOBe
07-27-2005, 04:15 AM
started the first big texturetiles. I'm on a 1024x512 at the moment. I plan on using seperate small tiles for the roof sections, both should end around 256 or 512, i'll see that when i get to make it.
Once I've finished the base tiles i'm going to try painting into the lightmap to achive darker areas below the windows and the base of walls etc. Never did this before so I look forwards to try it.
If I am lucky i might even manage to find a plugin that helps me bake a ambient occlusion into the lightmap with Maya, I heard Max supports this feature allready :-/
I'm pretty happy with the window tile as it is, so i am with the base structure of the concrete parts.
Colors and saturation are still under construction and will be till the very end of the set. comments are very welcome.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/gas_tex1.jpg

MALicivs
07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
actually i tried to get into the fallout / bladerunner style.

What would you do different to achive that look? Just reduce color saturation?

Yup I think That would do the trick.
I don't like color :D

also it would help if you'd use some dark greys.

MALicivs

NeptuneImaging
07-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe some DOOM 3 style lighting would be awesome...and I agree about the colors...I would desaturate them

jOBe
07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
update on the textures.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/tankstelle_01.jpg

jOBe
08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Worked on more detailed areas of the Building itself. I'm pretty close to be finished with it and begin the props like the fuel pumps.
The ground texture is still temp.
I'll do the shadowing and dirt under the windows stuff with a second uvset. Going to test Global Illumination on this.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/tankstelle_02.jpg

Neil
08-02-2005, 08:22 PM
textures look better.
The roof has some weird layout to it though. The side tiling doesn't match up with the tiling in the front. The front actually looks crooked. I'm not sure if those are supposed to be sheets of metal or what. If so, I would line up the sheets in the texture better.

jOBe
08-03-2005, 01:32 AM
thanks Neil. I worked on the roofmapping.

Decided to kick tonights sleep for some more texture updates.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/tankstelle_03.jpg

WesleyTack
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
great update, the style of the textures is cool! the fuel pumps look a lot like the ones i did not to long ago, can't wait to see what you make of those :)

tntcheats
08-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Very cool, now I'd say it'd be cool if you dirtied it up more--like add some mold crawling up the wall, and stuff.

jOBe
08-05-2005, 02:18 AM
Big update. Worked on the props and ground texture.
I also added a second UvSet with a 1024Texture for the Dirtmap wich is added to the texture base once i preview it in the engine. I never did a handpainted Dirtmap before. I wanted to let a plugin handle the ambient occlusion, but since i wasnt happy with the results i painted it myself. It might need some more finetuning, but its near completion. Hopefully i'll finish the whole gas station set by this weekend and get right to the whole set for the environment surrounding this gas station.

Here are two propress shots. I'm not too happy with the texture on the landingpads yet. Oh and please note, since these shots are ingame the ugly surface lighting in the upper shot is because i didnt add a specmap yet ;-)
Comments and crits very welcome, as usual.

http://www.kupferland.de/bilder/tan.jpg

Saramago
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
The gas pumps look ace.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.