PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a horse

R.R
10-28-2002, 09:13 AM
Hi,
Is anyone here can show me how to setup a bone system in Max 4 for a horse including the IK for the front feet and back feet? Coz I just finish a horse, and I never rig animal before. Thanks

john_homer
10-29-2002, 09:03 AM
just (basically) set it up like your average biped but have the spine come out rather than up and slap on a couple more legs where the arms should be ;^)

obviously the feet will be a little different, and you will definatly want a spline IK down the spine... get some reference material for joint placement and you away laughing.

its all still just joints and ik...

.j

Iain McFadzen
10-29-2002, 10:15 AM
From bitter experience, it's nowhere near as easy as that. Horses walk on the equivalent of their finger tips, meaning there are an extra two fully articulated bones between the pelvis and the ground. The longest IK chain you need with a biped is two links, from the hip to the ankle. That's nice and stable. Try adding even one extra bone in there and you'll see how much more difficult a horse rig is.

I ended up using FK for the femur, then had a two bone IK chain from the knee to the foot joint (what would be a hand/finger joint on a human), and finished up the feet with some complicated linking. It wasn't particularly elegant and I had to do a LOT of extra keying to animate it properly (way, way more work than a biped or even a simpler quadroped like a dog), but it got the job done. I guess you'll just have to do the same as I did, and experiment until you get something which is usable (though if anyone else has any bright ideas I'd also be glad to hear them).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.