PDA

View Full Version : [Help] New graphics workstation CPU choice?

ya3
07-24-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi there,

I'm hoping to build a new graphics workstation some time soon, and I'd appreciate some advice :)
Right now I'm running a 2.8GHz Pentium4 system with 512RAM. I was thinking to upgrade to a dual-processor P4/Athlon system, or just a single-CPU Xeon/Opteron. The CPU is the part I'm really not sure about. I want something that'll actually be worthwhile, and seeing as CPU's are still floating around 3.5GHz, I'm thinking to go for dual-processors.

Software I'm using:
CorelDRAW 12, Cinema 4D 8, Adobe CS2, 3dsmax, Premiere, After Effects

So, basically:
- How much better is the cheapest Xeon (2.8GHz 800FSB) over a ~3.4GHz P4
- Can I get dual P4 CPUs? If so, is it really worth it?
- How 'bout a single-CPU Opteron?

Please don't ramble on too much about technical stuff, I just want something that'll be noticably faster than my P4 2.8 - something that'll be worth the upgrade :)

Thanks in advance!

Arrghman
07-24-2005, 03:20 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the workstation class chips that are out right now so I'll leave that to others, but you can't get dual P4's. You can of course get dual Xeon's, and that's the primary difference between the Xeon and the P4. Except for that, as I recall, the chips are nearly identical in terms of functionality and performance.

lots
07-24-2005, 06:05 AM
For one, dont expect to see any sizable MHz increases. The clock speed race, at least for now, has hit a speed barrier, and most every CPU maker in the world has realized it and started parallelizing insted. Thus, you've got your dual core CPUs from both AMD and Intel floating about now, and soon 4 and more cores. Dual core, for those living under a rock, is basically two CPUs living on the same Die. This means that only one CPU socket is needed to have a 2 CPU system. Unlike Hyper Threading, this is truely a dual cpu setup.

And for your case, I think dual core will hit the best price/performance ratio. If you go with AMD espeically.

Reasons for going dual core: Cheaper motherboards, cheaper RAM (in the case of AMD64), Cooler running (in the case of AMD64 :P), a dual core CPU is cheaper than two single core CPUs. And generally speaking, the size of the system overall is much smaller.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2005, 06:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.