PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 7.5 installer is infected!

CaptRuss
10-28-2002, 07:52 AM
I just tried to download the 7.5 updater off of the newtek website. Guess what, its infected with the "worm/friendgreet.A2" virus!!

Both copies, off of both mirrors.

eesh!

Russ.

red_oddity
10-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Did you inform Newtek?
They might be interrested to know this (duh!)

proton
10-28-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm downloading it now to test it.....But you might also want to sheck your machine....We haven't received any repoorts of this and this file has been online for over a year.......with thousands of people downloading it.

Can you give us more info....what kind of virus software are you using..

proton
10-28-2002, 03:07 PM
I just scanned the file and found no viruses.....

CaptRuss
10-28-2002, 04:49 PM
yeah, I checked my machine. 4 times. Not to mention, this is about 2 hours after a fresh install of windows 2k after a full on format of the HD.
Hard drive scans clean, but the download...right as it finishes, that file gets a popup warning me of that virus. just that file.

I'm using AntiVir Personal edition.

Don't know what to tell ya.

and yeah, I emailed Newtek. No response from them tho...which is odd. you'd think they'd be concerned! >_<

Russ

*edit*
Ok, I just tried 3 more times. Each time I am warned that the installer .exe has a virus. Same name as above.

CaptRuss
10-28-2002, 08:31 PM
More news.

Ok, according to the webpage of the antiviral software I use, antiVir, the Friendgreet worm was just listed on the 25th of october.

http://www.antivir.de/vireninfo/friendg.htm

yeah, its a german page, cause the company is german.

you can babelfish it, and its pretty legible.

I've scanned my machine 10 times today and come up clean. I only get the warning when I download the installer.
Also, the Acdsee 5.0 installer gives me a positive detection of this as well.

Time to update your virus profiles people.

*edit*
Ok, more info.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99760.htm

its not considered a "virus" by them, because it requires consent to install... but My machine is clean of all symptoms. So looks like someone ran it over there at Newtek. Sorry guys.

Russ

minus
10-28-2002, 09:26 PM
I'm suspect of this.
This "virus" was big news on Slashdot.org a few days ago. -- You are prompted with an installer... or atleast a consent box agreeing to their EULA. -- I don't see how any of this is hooked into the 7.5 update. -- Aswell... even if people at NewTek went to a website that prompted them to download and install the software... (it's main method of delivery).... I don't see how it could effect the 7.5 update file as all it does is send an email to everyone in your contact list... (if you use Microsoft for your email app)....

I can understand the concern.... especially for anyone working for NewTek... but I really don't see how the 7.5 update could have this.

LyonHaert
10-28-2002, 09:40 PM
another possibility to consider is that the virus detection program is wrong, and mistakenly identified the virus.

MrWyatt
10-28-2002, 10:13 PM
actually I think Lightwave itself is a virus, as I got infected by it, and it doesn´t seem to end.:insane:

proton
10-28-2002, 10:49 PM
If this is a new virus it's weird that it could infect something like the LW installer that has been online for a long time....but that's coming from a silly artists.....

I've sent this to Tech Support and they are looking into it...

intvSlams
10-29-2002, 01:07 AM
FWIW the md5 on the file from the newtek ftp, ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw75/LightWave_7.5_Update-Win.exe doesn't match the file on the images server, http://images.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/LightWave_Windows/lw75/LightWave_7.5_Update-Win.exe .

CaptRuss
10-29-2002, 06:45 AM
Thanks proton. I do appreciate.

I'm no expert at the whole vaccination thing.. all I know is that I'm getting the glaring warning here. Like the one guy was suggesting, It could be a false positive from something in the structure of the file. Dunno.

Russ

fourd
10-29-2002, 06:17 PM
I downloaded the 7.5 upgrade about 1.5 weeks ago. Had no problems, and no viruses.:hmm:

CTRL+X
10-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Some more info on the "Friendsgreetings worm"

http://www.msnbc.com/news/826033.asp

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.