PDA

View Full Version : fusionThing plugin now available...

Pages : [1] 2

astrofish
07-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Greetings fellow C4D fans,
It gives me great pleasure to be able to announce the availability of fusionThing 1.0 (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing),
a major modelling and animation plugin for C4D R8.5 and above.

It provides a powerful set of tools for combining meshes in flexible ways, making possible many things that would otherwise be impractical...

Some of the key features:

Model/animate using pieces of geometry - a powerful complement to Cinema4D's vertex/polygon toolset.
Allows major changes to be made to highly detailed models.
Create seamlessly welded complex meshes (Great with HyperNURBS!)
Advanced shape conform, interpolation and curvature correction to map child meshes onto parent meshes.
Over 100 control parameters giving extensive control over combining.
Most controls can be keyframed, and some can even be driven by material channels.
'Immediate mode' for rapid workflow, 'Object mode' for maximum flexibility.
Recursive detailing limited only by processor speed and memory.
Optional probabalistic mesh selection and alignment.
Useful for many kinds of modelling, see website
For more information and to buy - visit the fusionThing web page (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing).

I've put a huge amount of time and effort into the development of this plugin, so I hope you like what you see...

Currently on sale for $135 - increasing to $195 from 1st August.

If you have any questions of comments - please post.

I've attached a sample image to tempt you. The second attached image shows the meshes that fT used to build the first.

Visit the web-site to see lots more samples, animations, tutorial, videos, etc.

Steve Baines

moka.studio
07-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Steve,
I thought things had been a bit quiet at Atrofish of late!
This looks very interesting! A lot of information to read through!
jp

AdamT
07-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I've been testing this for Steve and it's an awesome plugin. Maybe the best description would be "the Jenna of procedural modeling". :) Highly recommended.

moka.studio
07-23-2005, 04:33 PM
This looks really really interesting - procedural modelling in C4d?
Steve will there be a demo version as well ? or one that will work with the demo of C4d?
jp

astrofish
07-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Steve will there be a demo version as well ? or one that will work with the demo of C4d?
jp

Hi jp,
Currently there isn't a demo version - I've been too busy getting the full version ready!
I'm considering making one, but it won't be straight away...

On the web page there are a couple of videos showing the tool in action (they are a bit rough at the moment and I will re-record them, but I thought I'd put them up anyway in the meantime).

The full tutorial manual is also available for download from the main page as well.

Cheers - Steve

MJV
07-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I would like to know more about how this image was done. This plugin looks very cool. :thumbsup:

http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/image/full/38_futureWear.jpg

JoelOtron
07-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey MJV

Check out the second video tutorial on the training video page. It doesnt show exactly how that image was made, but it might help give you a better idea.

Very interesting plugin. Came out of nowhere!

Sure are a lot of people competing for my wallet this month.

Rabbitroo
07-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Steve,

Looks awsome as always! Do you know it is "9.5" ready (the rumored next release of C4D?)

Cheers!
-K

tcastudios
07-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Ahgg!
"An error occured with the transaction. Contact the merchendizer"

Astrofish, please check if I'm fine before I try order again, thanks.

Cheers
Lennart

tcastudios
07-23-2005, 05:09 PM
It worked anyway :)
Guess I'll be a little more busy for a couple of days now!

Cheers
Lennart

moka.studio
07-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Steve,

Looks awsome as always! Do you know it is "9.5" ready (the rumored next release of C4D?)

Cheers!
-K

where do you get that from??? I doubt that a plugin developer could anticipate future release cmopaitibility. And if he did know something about future releases, I am sure he would not tell. Funny how speculative talk about new releases always comes up at this time of year....
jp

moka.studio
07-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi jp,
Currently there isn't a demo version - I've been too busy getting the full version ready!
I'm considering making one, but it won't be straight away...

On the web page there are a couple of videos showing the tool in action (they are a bit rough at the moment and I will re-record them, but I thought I'd put them up anyway in the meantime).

The full tutorial manual is also available for download from the main page as well.

Cheers - Steve

Thanks Steve,
understand you are busy ... if you haev some more vids to post, even rough ones, it would be great!
jp

Srek
07-23-2005, 05:45 PM
where do you get that from??? I doubt that a plugin developer could anticipate future release cmopaitibility. And if he did know something about future releases, I am sure he would not tell. Funny how speculative talk about new releases always comes up at this time of year....
jp

Noone who realy knows will tell what is currently worked on or when it will be released. Every currently available "info" on this is simply a rumour.
To expect that Maxon will deliver something after R9 is a given of course :)

Cheers
Björn

Rabbitroo
07-23-2005, 05:52 PM
jp

Hey, the beta has been seeded to some people. I figured he might know if it's been tested. Other plugin developers have told me before when they're charging $100+ for a plugin when the next rev is close. If Steve doesn't want to/can't say that's OK too. I've already bought it. If he or Srek want to PM me and complain, that's OK too. I'm not a Maxon insider or ever seen Maxon's NDA, so I have not a clue about what folks can or cannot say. :)

Since some of my "problems" are likely fixed in the next release, I figured I'd ask.

Sheesh!

Anyhow, Steve. Awsome plugin dude! After 10 minutes of playing with it, I actually have a few production things this is going to be used in this week! Talk about timing! Imagine if I actually take the time to read your full manual.

Great Stuff! :bowdown: :applause:

Let me know if you're ever in the bay area. I'd like to buy you a beer. :beer:

-K

Rabbitroo
07-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Noone who realy knows will tell what is currently worked on or when it will be released. Every currently available "info" on this is simply a rumour.
To expect that Maxon will deliver something after R9 is a given of course :)

Cheers
Björn

:thumbsup:

acmepixel
07-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Holy Crap! This could revolutionize the modeling workflow in Cinema. Making it easier to just model simple parts and let the plugin do the assembly. The auto-cleanup feature is the key. Not to mention, the more efficient meshes, by not having hidden caps and fillets in an assembly. (a robot/mecha, made from procedural forms, converted to polys, would have a ton of hidden, useless points, with the old method, for example).

Damn, I'm going to stay poor if I keep using Cinema. (all these wonderful plugins)

AdamT
07-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Just to add, in addition to the awesome modeling features this plugin as some amazing applications for animation/motion graphics.

Erik Heyninck
07-23-2005, 07:18 PM
After watching those tutorial movies, I did try to resist but couldn't.
Despite that horrendous VAT, I had to have this.
This is a real revolution, no doubt about it.

Superb work, Steve!

Must say your English is very understandable for someone from the continent.
(Although you rattle like an Italian. ;) )

Let's hope the upcoming "delivery" is not too expensive...

acmepixel
07-23-2005, 07:57 PM
This could be the Holy Grail of filletting. This will make pipe welds a snap.

Damn! My credit card's on fire. (grabs for fire extinguisher).

acmepixel
07-23-2005, 08:00 PM
This will make architectural constructions even easier than Jenna.

This will be an excellent tool to combine with Jenna and Xfrog.

The possibilities are staggering.

(my brain hurts, must... put ... down ... mouse ... and take a nap)

ooo
07-23-2005, 09:13 PM
very COOL! Couldn't resist buying this one. This is an amazing new workflow with lots of new possibilities! Thanks!

odo

Continuumx
07-23-2005, 10:00 PM
This will make architectural constructions even easier than Jenna.

This will be an excellent tool to combine with Jenna and Xfrog.

The possibilities are staggering.

(my brain hurts, must... put ... down ... mouse ... and take a nap)

I was not aware that Jenna could do anything like what this one does.

I mean grid array and mesh array cannot really do what this does without many many many hours of tweaking and working after the plugin has done its initial thing.

This is completely new and revolutionary! Who needs MODO now!?!!?

Continuumx
07-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Greetings fellow C4D fans,
It gives me great pleasure to be able to announce the availability of fusionThing 1.0 (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing),
a major modelling and animation plugin for C4D R8.5 and above.

Steve Baines

Steve great work here, I have one question. I watch the videos and could tell with video #2 if the plugin creates a new mesh which is a combination of the child mesh and parent mesh?

In the meg and abstract piece video, the piece after the plugin is finished, and it does all the mesh clean up, welds to the meg face, is the new piece still a separate object and mesh from the meg face because the edges have excellent weight mapping that gives the appearance it has been "mated" with the meg face.

Gunter
07-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Feel my heart beat in the head :eek:

Damn, I'm going to stay poor if I keep using Cinema. (all these wonderful plugins)
Imagine how much faster you´ll earn money :scream:

Is there any chance to have different language UIs, e.g. german?

Gunter

astrofish
07-24-2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the response so far guys...
I'll try to answer all the questions in this post - let me know if I missed any.

MJV:
[Edit: Image added]
The attached image shows the meshes that the final image you showed is built from. As you can see it's very simple. The 'body' mesh is a simplified version of the 'Meg' mesh.
The other two meshes represent the detail pieces.
In the final image fT was used to replace each polygon of the original mesh with a copy of each of the detail pieces. fT then scaled, deformed and welded them so that the adjacent copies fit together cleanly. The whole thing then sits inside a HyperNURBS object to provide the smoothness. Object mode was used which meant that everything could still be changed.

Rabbitroo:
Sorry, I can't say whether it will work with 9.5 or not (if it even exists yet) as I don't have any more information from Maxon than is publically available. If there is a 9.5, I naturally intend to make this plugin work with it, but I can't say for sure whether it will or not at present. For what it's worth - it was developed under R8.5, and work fine under 9.

Lennart:
Let me know if you still have problems - from my end everything looks like it worked fine.

Erik:
"Let's hope the upcoming "delivery" is not too expensive..."
Sorry, not sure what you mean?

Continuumx:
The object output by fT is a single mesh in that example. The detail pieces are cleanly welded to each other and to the parent object. This means that you can drop the result into a HyperNURBS and get real smooth surfaces out.

Gunter:
Not in there at the moment, but wouldn't be too hard to add. I'll add it to the 'wish list'

Thanks to everyone that's bought it so far. Please let me know if you have any questions, problems, etc. And if you make something cool - please post it!

Cheers - Steve

Erik Heyninck
07-24-2005, 05:20 AM
I was quoting Srek: "To expect that Maxon will deliver something after R9 is a given of course." This has nothing to do with your plugin.

I haven't been able to try things out as I am about to change the main HDD of my puter, but I did read the tutorial/manual. Excellently explained, it seems to cover each and every option.
I was only wondering where those tutorial.c4d files (a.o. p 54 and 55) that you refer to can be found. They are not in the zip.

Thanks also for choosing one currency and not, like some others, charge the same amount of money without taking into account whether it're Pounds, Dollars, Euros or whatever. fT is not cheap, but it looks to be worth it and is well documented. And it fills a gap. (mind the gap ;) )

Rabbitroo
07-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Sorry, I can't say whether it will work with 9.5 or not (if it even exists yet) as I don't have any more information from Maxon than is publically available. If there is a 9.5, I naturally intend to make this plugin work with it, but I can't say for sure whether it will or not at present. For what it's worth - it was developed under R8.5, and work fine under 9.

Thanks! Bought it anyhow and spent most of the day with it. I've been modeling a tool-kit of nurnies to use with it, so it's well worth my time already. I'm amazed at how smart it is about conforming and welding, as well as it's wealth of configurability. I find myself using the FT object more than the interactive mode so far.

I may send you in a few days some conform examples to get your opinion on how well the conform algolrithm is doing and whether there is some tweaking I need to do to get better results.

I've managed to spend the whole day on FT because it's so much fun! (I was supposed to be working on a head in Modo, but the time got away from me pretty fast.)

No crashes or weirdnesses on my end yet--great stuff and rock solid. This is a real hit, you now have three plugins I expect to use all the time--Spinpoly, Geomcheck, and now FT. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Cheers!
-K

Venkman
07-24-2005, 06:55 AM
w-o-w.

That is unreal. Clamping on...

astrofish
07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
MJV:
I realised that I forgot to attach the image to my last post - so it may not have made a lot of sense... I've edited the post and added it.

Eric:
Oops. The emails should have included a link for the sample project files, but didn't.
Everyone should now have received another email with a link to them.

Rabbitroo:
Glad you're having fun with it!
I'm keen to see what you've done with it with the nurnies - this is an area that it should be very good at, but just haven't had a chance to make and decent sample files yet in this area.

Cheers - Steve

Rabbitroo
07-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Rabbitroo:
Glad you're having fun with it!
I'm keen to see what you've done with it with the nurnies - this is an area that it should be very good at, but just haven't had a chance to make and decent sample files yet in this area.

Give me a few days and you'll probably see something from me. :) If I'm not embarasssed by my results, I'll contrib it for your tutorial section. Cheers!
-K

Rabbitroo
07-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Steve,

Here's a simple example of nurnie application. Excluding the time to crank out nurnies, this can be built in seconds--very cool. The nurnies are lined up along the wall--I just set myself a simple template and cranked out an hour's worth of them.

-K

mnu
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Steve,

very cool plugin, congratulations.

But I have one more question before buying it. Does it work with ngons? Do you use the C4D modeling kernel?

Thanx for your answer in advance

cheers mnu

govinda
07-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Wow, what a great idea.

I can't say how often I've wanted just to be able to combine two objects or animate portions of an object without having to rig bones or deformers. I can look back at just one piece of mine and find five places I could've used this to save time. That flower example sold me all by itself.

Continuumx
07-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Anyone have any material textures examples that are driving fusionThing, this is very alien to me as I have never used materials in such as way. Curious to see an example, oops, nevermind, there are a couple examples in the tutorial.

astrofish
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Steve,
very cool plugin, congratulations.
But I have one more question before buying it. Does it work with ngons? Do you use the C4D modeling kernel?
Thanx for your answer in advance
cheers mnu

Hi Mnu,
No, not yet. I started developing this under 8.5, and wanted to keep 8.5 compatability for the first release, so no ngons yet.

However, this doesn't mean you can't use meshes with ngons in them - they'll effectively get converted to Tris and Quads by fT as it processes them into the final mesh. Not perfect, but shouldn't be too big a deal either in most cases.

Nothing stops you using ngons in meshes that fT is going to build with, but the final built mesh will be entirely Tris and Quads. The sub-meshes that you put in the object hierarchy won't be modified, only the virtual built object, so if they have ngons, fT can still use them and won't remove or modify them.

Also, in immediate mode, you can connect child meshes to the parent mesh, and any ngons in the parent mesh will survive.

Full ngon support is on the 'wish list' for a future version...

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Hello Steve,

In the dish with flags animated example, how does the additional ft object and selection tags and uvw object work to make it animated when there is not any change for these in the time line?

Is the only reason for the different ft object tags to make the height of the number tags different in response to using the material texure as a driver for when the tags move up and down?

Where is the material being animated from, the ft object tags?

Thanks for help!

astrofish
07-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Steve,

Here's a simple example of nurnie application. Excluding the time to crank out nurnies, this can be built in seconds--very cool. The nurnies are lined up along the wall--I just set myself a simple template and cranked out an hour's worth of them.

-K

Not a bad start...

Note that there are several ways that you can break up the underlying grid

Use detail pieces with connectors consisting of more than one polygon (i.e. rectangular rather than square). Conform mode will wrap them onto the parent object cleanly.
Create structures with detail that can weld to adjacent tiles (like pipes, etc)

Also, consider using reference connectors (p.50 in manual), with simple pieces of detail geometry underneath them, and turn up 'Child density'. This will let you have multiple detail pieces mapped per connector (to give lots of density in the detail). Now turn up the tweak variation controls, so each piece of detailing is randomly adjusted (to give variation) and you'll quickly get very complex details. (This is what I did with the grass sample - see attached)

Combining this with with material based selection of meshes could be interesting as well...

I'll try to find time to put together a sample file in the next day or so.

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Steve,

For some reason, I am getting slow feedback (lags) with the grass scene file. What kind of system did you create this on?

I turned off the bend and taper deformer, that helped for a little while.

astrofish
07-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Hello Steve,

In the dish with flags animated example, how does the additional ft object and selection tags and uvw object work to make it animated when there is not any change for these in the time line?

Is the only reason for the different ft object tags to make the height of the number tags different in response to using the material texure as a driver for when the tags move up and down?

Where is the material being animated from, the ft object tags?

Thanks for help!

I assume you mean in 'ftMaterialChildSelect05a.c4d' ?

Multiple Parent tags are used on the 'Disc' object to control which child objects are mapped to which parts of the parent object - so that the overall mesh joins together as wanted.

The 'numbered markers' group contains ten different flags - the one that is chosen at any point is determined by the corresponding parent tag - the first one on 'Disc'.
This is set to 'Choose child by Texture: Luminance', so the luminance of the first material at the connector position is used to choose the child to use at that position.

The heights of the pieces are also controlled in the parent tag, using the 'use texture tweak' settings.

So, the choice of meshes, and their positions are now linked to the luminance channel of the first material.

The entire animation is then driven by the fact that this material changes over time.
Look at the noise settings in the luminance channel of the material. The 'Animation Speed' setting is set to 0.7, so the noise is animated over time.

So, there are no keyframes in this animation - it's all driven by the animated material.

The only thing you have to be careful of when using animated materials like this, is to make sure that 'recalc every frame' (In fT Object) is turned on, otherwise fT won't react to the changing material.

Note: Although the material channel is being used to tweak the child positions, you can still turn on the 'tweak' settings in the Child Tags, and any changes you make there will also be taken into account.

Continuumx
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
I assume you mean in 'ftMaterialChildSelect05a.c4d' ?

Multiple Parent tags are used on the 'Disc' object to control which child objects are mapped to which parts of the parent object - so that the overall mesh joins together as wanted.

The 'numbered markers' group contains ten different flags - the one that is chosen at any point is determined by the corresponding parent tag - the first one on 'Disc'.
This is set to 'Choose child by Texture: Luminance', so the luminance of the first material at the connector position is used to choose the child to use at that position.

The heights of the pieces are also controlled in the parent tag, using the 'use texture tweak' settings.

So, the choice of meshes, and their positions are now linked to the luminance channel of the first material.

The entire animation is then driven by the fact that this material changes over time.
Look at the noise settings in the luminance channel of the material. The 'Animation Speed' setting is set to 0.7, so the noise is animated over time.

Thanks Steve, for quick response and explanation and I'll read through the entire guide before I ask anymore questions! Each time, I ask a question, the next section ahead is exactly the answer that I have!

astrofish
07-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Steve,

For some reason, I am getting slow feedback (lags) with the grass scene file. What kind of system did you create this on?

I turned off the bend and taper deformer, that helped for a little while.

Ok, the reason for this is that fT doesn't really like having embedded deformers, and this scene has several.

Attached is a modified version of the scene. I've used 'current state to object' on the two 'blade' meshes to apply the deformation and create a standard poly mesh. (I've also simplified the hierarchy a bit - there was no real need for two Parent Tags).

This project will still take roughly the same amount of time to generate initially, but once generated won't slow down your navigation like the previous.

The scene generation could be sped up dramatically by using more than one grass blade per child object, and reducing 'Child density' correspondingly.

For rapid recalculation, e.g. if you want to play with the tweak parameters and get an idea of what effect they are having, reduce 'child density' to thin out the grass and speed up the processing. Increase again for the final render.

Note: If you ever find that you've given fT a job which it is taking too long to process, press 'Escape', and the processing will be aborted. E.g. Click on the fT object to disable it, the press Escape. It will stop processing, then will be immediately disabled. This will then let you change the settings without it starting to recalculate again.

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
07-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks Steve for the response to the grass example! The target aim examples with the "tendril" objects is a very wonderful feature. I can see this in character development, and some interesting architectural uses. You could aim and direct elements without getting into rigging for some effects!

I will take a look at the new grass scene!

Continuumx
07-25-2005, 05:36 AM
fusionThing is great for architectural, conceptual, product, and motion graphic design- as the procedual set that you start with can easily be changed to fit a different look on the fly all from the same set of pieces! I have just been playing around with a random polygon form and a h-type shape (extruded from h-spline) and these are just some of the examples I have at the moment. Just going through the tweaking sections, you could possibly create a building that transforms like an autobot or something strange! They are very basic, I will have some better ones soon!

Thanks Steve for this!

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8485/ftsk22ji.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9497/ftsk55vb.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2397/ftsk14bg.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2463/ftsk34ki.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3928/ftsk49cw.jpg

lllab
07-25-2005, 06:20 AM
interesting plugin, i guess i will buy it too, but maybe i wait until it support ngons,i am no big friend of backwards compatibility.
at least for my workflow ngons are essential, wouldnt want to work without them.

do you think to release a demo, it would be quirte helpful to test it before making decicion to buy or not to buy...

cheers
stefan

JackMcRip
07-25-2005, 06:53 AM
I am very interesting for this plugin.
It looks like a great modeling tool.

But how looks the mesh after fusing ?
Is it a very high polymesh ?

Gunter
07-25-2005, 10:02 AM
hi Jack,
have a look at Steve´s first intro video. Polycount isn´t increasing, except at places where necessary for welding.

cu,
Gunter

Jonj1611
07-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Fantastic looking plugin :)

Jon

Rabbitroo
07-25-2005, 01:39 PM
interesting plugin, i guess i will buy it too, but maybe i wait until it support ngons,i am no big friend of backwards compatibility.
at least for my workflow ngons are essential, wouldnt want to work without them.

Actually, the nurnies piece I did is loaded with n-gons. The main restriction is the join connectors (essentially the poly's that define where children and parents meet) need to be quads or tris--I prefer quads. The rest of the geometry can have n-gons.

Cheers!
-K

MJV
07-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Again, this plugin looks excellent. I would love to try it out if there is a demo version or something.

astrofish
07-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Re: Demo version. There isn't one at the moment as all my efforts have gone into getting the full version out the door. I'll consider making a demo, but it would be a couple of weeks away at least... [Edit: Demo now unlikely before November]

Re: Polycount. Polycount is only increased as much as is needed to actually add the bits of geometry. If you have lots of recursive details, you'll end up with lots of polys, but only because that's what you've told it to build. A lot of the samples are using fT inside an HyperNURBS object, so the end result is high poly because of HN, but no worse than if you'd built the mesh manually.

Plus - if the detail gets too high during modelling and it starts slowing down a lot, you can temporarily 'switch off' parts of the geometry (the 'enable' boxes in the Parent/Child tags) , which will speed things up, and also means that the bits you aren't interested in at the moment aren't cluttering the workspace.

Cheers - Steve

Rabbitroo
07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
If you have lots of recursive details, you'll end up with lots of polys, but only because that's what you've told it to build.

Can you use FT Objects recursively (e.g. FT objects insided of FT objects)? This gives me a great idea for building complex nurnie-fications!

-K

Ernest Burden
07-25-2005, 09:08 PM
I've been testing this for Steve and it's an awesome plugin...Highly recommended.

That's all the convincing I need--thumbs-up from Adam.

Just got back in town after two weeks, new stuff for Cinema.

One way I am thinking of using this plugin is to generate varied cars. Most cars are very similar. There is a Max pluging (I don't use Max) that makes variations of high-detail cars, really great results. But for large architectural scenes I often need lots of background cars. Procedural variations in a few areas (plus color) could be really useful. I'll give it a try.

Then there's the city generator, and I'm out of a job!

Erik Heyninck
07-25-2005, 09:32 PM
:(
I create a cube, activate fTtool and select a face, make it child. Blue. No problem.
I then create another cube, divide each face in three, with fT active I select the central polys. The first cube shows as it should.
I create an object out of this with parent connector. The cube stays in a kind of transparent view.
As I don't need that first cube anymore now that I have my fusioned mesh, I delete it.
Cinema crashes.
I also tried your sphere example. Same problem.

The problem occurs exactly when, after deleting the original child mesh (which should be possible as the new mesh should be independant), I reactivate the new fusion mesh. One way or another, this fusion mesh is dependant on that original child. It would, imo, be better if it weren't.

Erik Heyninck
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I expected "current state to object" to be a workaround, but it isn't. I get the same crash.

I am not used to see Cinema crash.

Erik Heyninck
07-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Tried again with hypernurbsing. Same crash when I reactivate the new mesh after deleting the former child mesh.

It cannot be that with every object all evt. children must be saved and included.
Or am I doing something wrong?

Rabbitroo
07-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Tried again with hypernurbsing. Same crash when I reactivate the new mesh after deleting the former child mesh.

It cannot be that with every object all evt. children must be saved and included.

Erik,

Two suggestions:
1) Use the FT Object rather than "immediate" mode. (I personally like this better as way of working.)

2) Delete all FT tags (especially the lingering "parent" tag that's probably clinging to the newly minted mesh) *before* deleting the objects.

I couldn't reproduce your problem, so these are just theories on my end.

Cheers!
-K

astrofish
07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Erik,
I've not been able to reproduce this so far - but I'm not certain that I'm doing the same as you.
I create a cube, activate fTtool and select a face, make it child. Blue. No problem.
I then create another cube, divide each face in three, with fT active I select the central polys. The first cube shows as it should.

Ok, for the second cube I set X/Y/Z segments all to 3 before polygonising, then selected the central poly on each of the six faces - is that the same as you did?

So at this point the preview should be showing the six child cubes in wireframe - as in the attached image.

I create an object out of this with parent connector. The cube stays in a kind of transparent view.

Ok - not quite sure what you mean here, and I suspect we may have different settings.
Is 'immediate mode' on or off? Are you using an fT object?
Could you send me a screen dump showing the viewport, object manager, and the fT tool settings at this point? It would help narrow things down a lot.

As I don't need that first cube anymore now that I have my fusioned mesh, I delete it.
Cinema crashes.
I also tried your sphere example. Same problem.

Ok, that's a bug.

The problem occurs exactly when, after deleting the original child mesh (which should be possible as the new mesh should be independant), I reactivate the new fusion mesh.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'reactivate the new fusion mesh'. Do you mean selecting the newly built object, or reselecting the fT tool?

One way or another, this fusion mesh is dependant on that original child. It would, imo, be better if it weren't.
If you've used immediate mode, and the resulting mesh is in any way dependent on the child object then that is a bug. If it's crashing C4D there's certainly a bug.

I am not used to see Cinema crash.

Neither am I. Nor am I used to seeing any of my programs crash. I (and a lot of others) put a lot of testing into this to make sure it was stable. However, it sounds like something has managed to slip through.

Sorry.

But I will fix it.

Correct. That shouldn't be the case.

Well if it's consistently crashing then it's certainly a bug, whatever you are doing. But I'm not certain what you are doing and I can't reproduce it so far.

Any more info you can give would be helpful...
(Either here or by email - I don't mind)

Cheers - Steve

astrofish
07-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi Rabbitroo,
Thanks for the suggestions, but you shouldn't need to do these to avoid a crash...

Cheers - Steve

Erik,
Two suggestions:
1) Use the FT Object rather than "immediate" mode. (I personally like this better as way of working.)

2) Delete all FT tags (especially the lingering "parent" tag that's probably clinging to the newly minted mesh) *before* deleting the objects.
I couldn't reproduce your problem, so these are just theories on my end.
Cheers!
-K

Rabbitroo
07-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Rabbitroo,
Thanks for the suggestions, but you shouldn't need to do these to avoid a crash...

Cheers - Steve

Agreed. I was just trying to be helpful while you were out. By the way (you may have missed it above), can you use FT recursively (e.g. FT objects made up of more FT objects) without risk? Can these be used with random children selected?

-K

astrofish
07-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Hi Rabbitroo,

Agreed. I was just trying to be helpful while you were out.

Thanks - appreciated. Sorry if my post came across otherwise.

I just wanted to be clear that this is something I intend to fix, not something I'm expecting people to work around.

By the way (you may have missed it above), can you use FT recursively (e.g. FT objects made up of more FT objects) without risk? Can these be used with random children selected?
-K

Yes, fT will happily recurse.

Two ways:

Place an fT object under a child of another fT object, and it will be treated as part of the child (same for ordinary meshes - a child doesn't have to be just a single mesh)
(Preferred) Put parent tags onto your child objects, and add grand-children, and so on.
I've put together a quick training video showing how to make the mesh in the attached image from nothing in 3 minutes, including explanation and tweaking time. (Seamless mesh, 30k polygons - excluding HyperNURBS, rendered with Banji). I'll upload the video to my site tomorrow, once I've had a chance to talk to my web hosts about my bandwidth useage... :)

Meanwhile, I've also attached the project file.

While I was at it, I then spent another minute or two adding a few degrees random variation to the child tags, and adding keyframes to the 'seed' parameters, which produced some good organic motion in the mesh. This version is in the second project file.

Have fun...

Attachments:

Image for recusive sample mesh
Project file for recursive sample mesh
Modified project file with animation
Cheers - Steve

Rabbitroo
07-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Yes, fT will happily recurse.

Two ways:

Place an fT object under a child of another fT object, and it will be treated as part of the child (same for ordinary meshes - a child doesn't have to be just a single mesh)
(Preferred) Put parent tags onto your child objects, and add grand-children, and so on.

The tags approach does exactly what I wanted. I also re-read the section on multiple parent tags, so I don't need to ask you about that. :)

Fun use of Banji! Love the look you got with the recursive design.

-K

Erik Heyninck
07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Steve,

Sorry for my confusing text. Not only is English not my first language, but I have always had difficulties to speak/write/think in a logical way. Think globally and act spaced out, you know.

I am following your tutorial manual from the start and fT works fine, just like you described, except for that crash when I delete the child object.

What I do is:
1/ to create a new mesh out of the parent with the fusioned children on it -I call the now fusionmesh- it has to be active in the object manager of course. This step works fine. No problems.
2/ to be able to delete the child object after use, I have to activate it in the objects manager. I delete it, and everything seems to be fine.
3/ but when I then reactivate the new fusionmesh in the objects manager, Cinema9.1 crashes.

As you wrote, this is probably a bug.
Which of course you will solve.

Sorry for the confusion. I am not used finding bugs.

TonyL
07-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm also getting Cinema crashes when going back to polygon mode, in the same way as Rabbitroo. I though at first that it was me being thick, but it has happened a few times now. I'm not able to use Immediate mode effectively.

This is due in most part to losing the fusionThing menu each time I select a polygon on an object - so I would be grateful to learn how to keep the Menu on screen whilst working. How do you create an "Active" tab that is always in view?

But the crashes are the most important. This plug-in is great, but perhaps I do not know enough to use it effectively yet.

Thanks in anticipation - TonyL

TonyL
07-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Steve,

Forgot to mention that I'm working on a Mac G4, 1.42GHz, 1.75Gb RAM. I have found with other plug-ins that sometimes the plug-in developer has not included the G4 code. Could this be the problem this time?

Best wishes - TonyL

Erik Heyninck
07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Indeed, but the fact that the fT window disappears is because it is displayed in the properties manager, no? Everythime you use or select something in Cinema, its properties are displayed, so the properties of the previous thing are replaced. So perhaps you can either create shortcuts or add the icons to your layout?

TonyL
07-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Erik,

Yes, the fusionThing menu can be undocked so that it is always visible. I'll research how to add an "Active" tab in the future.

But I'd like to get the crashes resolved first.

TonyL

astrofish
07-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Tony, Erik,
Thanks for your posts - I think I'm beginning to get a picture of what's happening. Every piece of information is helpful.

Am I correct in the following:
1. You've just used fT in immediate mode to build a simple mesh.
2. It built successfully.
3. You then clicked on the child mesh (that you no longer need), causing the fT panel to disappear and be replaced with object details.
4. You deleted the child mesh.
5. You selected the fT tool again.
6. Crash.

Is this correct?

Unfortunately I'm at my day job at the moment, so I can't check this or work on it until this evening, but if the above is correct then I think I might know what's going on...

What happens if between steps 2 and 3, you select a polygon on the newly created mesh, and press Connector on Child, then continue. Does this prevent the crash?

Properties / Active panels
If you right click on the attrib panel, you can change what it responds to. What I do (from memory, so may not be exactly right) is create two property panels. Right click them, and there a menu of checkboxes saying what it weill respond to. On one of them I check everything except 'tool'. On the other I check only 'tool'. I then dock it, and rename it 'active'. If you do this then when you select an object, the 'active' panel still shows the active tool settings. This makes working with fT easier.

Also, as Tony said, you can add an icon/short cut to quickly re-active the tool. You can also add short cuts for 'Connector on Child' and 'Connector on Parent' - which speeds things up when you don't need to change any settings.

If you uncheck 'tool' from the for your property panel, so that fT stays active when you select and delete the mesh, does this prevent the crash? (I'm not saying this is a solution, I just want to know if it makes a difference).

Anyway, I'll dive into this as top priority as soon as I get in tonight...

Cheers - Steve

TonyL
07-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick response. You're nearly right in the steps mentioned. On my G4 I:

(1) launch fusionThing,
(2) create a cube,
(3) make it editable,
(4) go into polygon mode and select a face,
(5) click on "make child",
at this point the face does not always turn colour
so I have to click again until I see the blue
(6) create, say, a sphere and make editable,
(7) click on "make parent",
sometimes nothing happens (no outlines of where the
cubes will appear).

At this point I have started again, and then it may work ...

When I see the outlines of the cubes on the sphere, several times I have clicked on polygon mode again to select more polygons, and then the crash happens.

Am I selecting wrongly? I thought I was following the correct procedure but, as you say, it shouldn't happen anyway. I'd like to get to know this plug-in better. Could it be the embedded code? Not sure whether Astrofish is working on a Mac or not, and whether it's peculiar to Macs. Haven't seen a post by a PC user that this happens to them.

Hope you can help ...

Best wishes -- TonyL

Erik Heyninck
07-26-2005, 12:09 PM
OK my workflow (I am on a pIVHT/WinXPPro s1 machine):

1/ create a cube (111) and make editable.
2/ open the fTtool window in the properties manager
3/ click on a face of the cube. it becomes red
4/ click on "Connector to child". the face becomes blue and a child tag and a selection tag are added

5/ create a new cube (111, or 333...) and make editable
6/ open fTwindow again as the properties manager now shows the properties of cube2 (this is the step Tony and I are talking about. not the "bug")
7/ select a polygon on cube2. the polygon becomes red and a wireframe of cube1 is attached to it.

8/ now press connector to parent. the child mesh is added to the parent mesh. I call this result the fusion mesh.

now this fusion mesh should be an independant object. so the child object should be deletable.

9/ I select the child object and delete it
10/ I want to go on working with the fusionmesh object and select it (make it active) in the objects manager. The moment I do this, Cinema hesitates a fraction of a second and then has to be closed. No freeze, no bsod: it has to be closed and, no, I don't want to send a report to MS.

In my opinion, the newly created mesh should be fully independant from the child mesh(es). Geometry has been added, points, edges and polys have been created and polys have been deleted. It looks like there is some kind of reference that is not "flushed"(?), one that keeps the resulting fusion mesh dependant of the child being present. This can/will probably lead to problems, for example if I would like to share the file with someone who does not have fT. The object I created should be fully free and independant.

I hope this makes sense. Please ask whatever question on the subject you want.

rsquires
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I really like the look of this plugin but I have a tiny problem with it. I can see the possibilities with it but the examples are a little too esoteric to fully sell the idea. If there were examples that showed it doing stuff that is " real world" ie not nobbly bits on a head, then I think it would be a killer. That and a demo too. It's kind of like DiTools in that respect. Fantastic plug but odd examples.

I can imagine building a seamless car wheel rim with this really well, an intricate thing that could be easily made out of elements, welded together.

Having said all this I still think it looks incredibly interesting

regards

Richard

Rabbitroo
07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
If there were examples that showed it doing stuff that is " real world" ie not nobbly bits on a head, then I think it would be a killer.

If you scroll back a ways in this thread, you'll see an example of automatic/random nurnie conform & placement. I didn't have starship mesh handy, but my little death-star ring should give you the idea. The big savings in time/effort is that I just had to sculpt 20 or so nurnies (less than an hour's work) and turn FT loose on my basic form, in this case a plain old sphere mesh. All the tedius conforming to the curved surface + welding was managed by FT. I used FT's ability to select children randomly, so I could just twiddle the seed to preview. I did this purely as a proof-of-concept for another project, but with better/more complex nurnies, I think you can see how some hyper-real SF stuff can be built quite easily.

-K

Rabbitroo
07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
OK my workflow (I am on a pIVHT/WinXPPro s1 machine):

1/ create a cube (111) and make editable.
2/ open the fTtool window in the properties manager
3/ click on a face of the cube. it becomes red
4/ click on "Connector to child". the face becomes blue and a child tag and a selection tag are added

5/ create a new cube (111, or 333...) and make editable
6/ open fTwindow again as the properties manager now shows the properties of cube2 (this is the step Tony and I are talking about. not the "bug")
7/ select a polygon on cube2. the polygon becomes red and a wireframe of cube1 is attached to it.

8/ now press connector to parent. the child mesh is added to the parent mesh. I call this result the fusion mesh.

now this fusion mesh should be an independant object. so the child object should be deletable.

9/ I select the child object and delete it
10/ I want to go on working with the fusionmesh object and select it (make it active) in the objects manager. The moment I do this, Cinema hesitates a fraction of a second and then has to be closed. No freeze, no bsod: it has to be closed and, no, I don't want to send a report to MS.

Steve, I repeated Erik's workflow as he wrote it and crashed out on step 7 with FT in immediate mode. (I guess it's a good thing I took the FT object so quickly!)

-K

Rabbitroo
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Steve, I repeated Erik's workflow as he wrote it and crashed out on step 7 with FT in immediate mode. (I guess it's a good thing I took the FT object so quickly!)

-K

I modified Erik's workflow by renaming the meshes after I polygonized the cubes and the crashes went away.

Erik, after step 1 and step 5, try renaming the meshes and see how things work out for you.

Thanks!
-K

flingster
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
crikey you don't read this forum for a few days and you miss stuff like this posted...this looks fantastic...just up my street...not had time to read all info in this thread..will take a look at website though...cheers steve...looks like another damn useful plugin..certainly on scan view of what i've seen very interested in it.:thumbsup:

astrofish
07-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Erik/Rabbitroo:
Thanks for the extra details on generating the crash. I should be able to reproduce it when I get in tonight.

In my opinion, the newly created mesh should be fully independant from the child mesh(es).

Yes, it should be - and it will be once I've had chance to fix this bug.

It looks like there is some kind of reference that is not "flushed"(?), one that keeps the resulting fusion mesh dependant of the child being present.
This can/will probably lead to problems, for example if I would like to share the file with someone who does not have fT. The object I created should be fully free and independant.

Once I've fixed the bug this will not be an issue.

I hope this makes sense. Please ask whatever question on the subject you want.
It's ok - I understand what you are saying, and I agree.

Richard:
I realise that some of my current samples are rather abstract, or maybe just 'odd'. I'm much better at coding than I am at art! I will be uploading better samples as I get the chance. I'm hoping that the samples give enough insight to be able to understand what the plugin does, even if they are not the kind of thing that you want to use it for.

With the architectural, chainmail, flower, and grass samples, I hoped I was demonstrating some 'normal' uses in addition to the abstracts.

Cheers - Steve

astrofish
07-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok, I've managed to reproduce the bug. Digging into it now...
I'll post an update later.

Cheers - Steve

rsquires
07-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Erik/Rabbitroo:

Richard:
I realise that some of my current samples are rather abstract, or maybe just 'odd'. I'm much better at coding than I am at art! I will be uploading better samples as I get the chance. I'm hoping that the samples give enough insight to be able to understand what the plugin does, even if they are not the kind of thing that you want to use it for.

With the architectural, chainmail, flower, and grass samples, I hoped I was demonstrating some 'normal' uses in addition to the abstracts.

Cheers - Steve

It wasn't really a criticism although I guess it may have sounded that way. The more I think about this the more I think it is a very powerful tool. Getting it in the hands of artists and creating a user gallery would go a long way I feel. It is quite hard to get people to submit stuff but if you have even a few die hard users who can really show it off then I think that would be very useful to you.

I will seriously consider this I think in the near future

regards

Richard

Continuumx
07-26-2005, 11:19 PM
It wasn't really a criticism although I guess it may have sounded that way. The more I think about this the more I think it is a very powerful tool. Getting it in the hands of artists and creating a user gallery would go a long way I feel. It is quite hard to get people to submit stuff but if you have even a few die hard users who can really show it off then I think that would be very useful to you.

I will seriously consider this I think in the near future

regards

Richard

For anyone doing anything at all related to Arch Viz this plugin is a *MUST HAVE*! (IMHO)

Why?

It allows you to build components that you can easily apply to any measured polygon surface. It is like an intelligent surface object placement plugin.

What does this allow for?

Think about it, you are free to design as you like using the "connector" polygon and then when you are ready with your piece, you have the ability to stamp this down anywhere and have it fuse to the underlying polygon mesh and all the "stamped" pieces become merged (if you like) together cleanly. In the end, you are getting clean geometry as the output.

The plugin is nothing less than a revolution in 3d modeling because it is not a matter of building up a surface so much as it is the utilization of fabrication methods on construction via the virtual realm to build up whole models.

So it allows for easy placement and building of facades, windows, doors, and etc. if you think of these as now unitized components parts.

You measure out a polygon connector from standard polygon pieces that make up an exterior elevation expanse of a particular structure.

Now if this connector matches the size of your piece [in some cases only the number of points (polygon) of the connector and stamp locations need to have the same points (polygon)] then you do not have to through painstaking subdivision, extrude, bevel, and inner extrude, scale, copy, and place to build up and match the detail to the elevation. You can now, concentrate on one piece, and then when you are ready, *STAMP* this down anywhere and as many times. The plugin takes care of matching your component part to your underlying mesh. It takes care of mating it exactly and deleting duplicate "mating" polygons. As long as your underlying mesh is prepared properly it is very much like mass fabrication but now on a scale of 3d modeling. The most important issue here is once again *TOPOLOGY*. Topology is very important with this plugin as it is with "character" modeling.

I hope to show some work with this method of construction soon!

astrofish
07-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Bug squashed.

I've found the cause of the crash. Expect a fixed version tomorrow.

Getting it in the hands of artists and creating a user gallery would go a long way I feel. It is quite hard to get people to submit stuff but if you have even a few die hard users who can really show it off then I think that would be very useful to you.

Yeah, that had already occurred to me. I hope to do something like that.

I hope to show some work with this method of construction soon!

Please do!

What you've described is correct - I think you 'get it'.

Don't forget that fT can also randomly select (with user defined relative probabilities) between different detail meshes. The architectural example attached (and on the fT webpage here (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing#archi) shows a basic example of this - fT randomly chose between walls, arched doors, and slit windows when making the building.

If I wanted to make walls be used more often than doors - all I need to do is change one parameter - the relative probability of a wall mesh.

If I'm happy with the ratios - but just want a different instance - change the random seed value - instant new building.

I really need to get some more samples done...

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
07-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Bug squashed.
I've found the cause of the crash. Expect a fixed version tomorrow.
Thanks!
Yeah, that had already occurred to me. I hope to do something like that.

Please do!

What you've described is correct - I think you 'get it'.
:) I plan to do some heavy usage of this plugin after I finish with a contest I am working on! (I am actually going to use it on the contest!)

If I wanted to make walls be used more often than doors - all I need to do is change one parameter - the relative probability of a wall mesh.

Steve, just show about five variations of this one example, and it will be crystal clear the possibilities of rapid prototyping in "seconds" with no extra modeling effort.

Continuumx
07-27-2005, 03:46 AM
Here is one example of how I would use this plugin in Architectural design.

It proved a successful test and I achieved my target goal very quickly and the best thing is that everything remains editable and "live" so I can continue to develop this more at any time. Okay, I'll stop posting for a while, returning thread back to you Steve.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4240/ft1mtm1qg.jpg

moka.studio
07-27-2005, 06:39 AM
nice development, Continuumx!

Erik Heyninck
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
This is a superb example ContinuumX. Thanks for sharing. Imo, it should be on Steve's gallery also.

Zendorf
07-27-2005, 11:46 AM
I have only just caught sight of this puppy and and it looks hell impressive... nice work Steve :thumbsup: I don't recall having quite seen anything like this before, except maybe the cut/paste function of windows and doors in Sketchup.

I look forward to abusing this thing for some mo-graf work, it looks made for it. Just wondering if you are going to extend the early bird price a bit longer, considering all the impending Siggraph craziness that will be vying for wallets' attention...can't hurt to ask :shrug:

rob rhodes
07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
hey continuumx nice work through. I was just wondering how easy was it to make the support poles spead equally and seemingly quite accurately around the barrel object? did this take a lot of time and effort in a trial and error way or is there a built in function for this rotation of groups if you get what i mean?

This plug looks awesome for architectural cladding - would have been well useful for buildings like the SAGE in gateshead (uk) by norman foster (if anyone knows it). Its kind of like a lumpy slug! but has individually cut and sized cladding panels that hug the curves of the structure ( it looks like you would make a neat c4d mesh and apply the fusionthing to create the individual cladding panels - supurb!).

Thalaxis
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
I have only just caught sight of this puppy and and it looks hell impressive... nice work Steve :thumbsup: I don't recall having quite seen anything like this before, except maybe the cut/paste function of windows and doors in Sketchup.

It reminds me a bit of Artisan ;)

Continuumx
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
hey continuumx nice work through. I was just wondering how easy was it to make the support poles spead equally and seemingly quite accurately around the barrel object? did this take a lot of time and effort in a trial and error way or is there a built in function for this rotation of groups if you get what i mean?

It was no extra effort Rob, using the tweak controls of the child objects (supports) it was a matter of having the option to vary the x,y,x and h,p,b of the position, size, and rotation and then I had more tweak options to make any of these variable so it could be more random (I have an update, I will post when I get more progress - Deadline for this is August 5th!) - And the best thing is there is a master control that goes from the default setting to my adjusted tweak settings so I can move back forth between the non tweak effect and the tweak effect for both position and rotation and then for variation! Very configurable.

This plug looks awesome for architectural cladding - would have been well useful for buildings like the SAGE in gateshead (uk) by norman foster (if anyone knows it). Its kind of like a lumpy slug! but has individually cut and sized cladding panels that hug the curves of the structure ( it looks like you would make a neat c4d mesh and apply the fusionthing to create the individual cladding panels - supurb!).

I have an idea this plugin is going to push C4D into a tool capable of high conceptual architectural design no doubt!

astrofish
07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
fusionThing 1.03 released
This release fixes the crash bug reported earlier. (No other changes.)

Everyone who has bought fT should now have received an email from me with the 1.03 release. It you haven't, and it doesn't turn up soon, let me know.

This is also the version you will receive if you buy now.

New training video uploaded
I've uploaded the promised 3-minute rapid recursive modelling video to the site
Go to the videos section (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/index.html#traVid), and it's number 4.

Continuumx:
Thanks for all your posts in this forum - very much appreciated.
And maybe (hopefully) this weekend I'll find a spare moment to post some more sample stuff myself.

JoelOtron
07-27-2005, 04:41 PM
New training video uploaded
I've uploaded the promised 3-minute rapid recursive modelling video to the site
Go to the videos section (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/index.html#traVid), and it's number 4.

:eek: Nice!

BUZZFX
07-27-2005, 05:17 PM
This Plug-In looks wonderful. My interest in this plug-in would be to create random trees on a landscape. I don't know if this is possible, but if someone could try to take an X-Frog tree for example and vary the size and placement that would probably be enough to sell me. :)

Erik Heyninck
07-27-2005, 05:55 PM
The trees would all look alike, unless you would have some important branches added as grandchildren in a random way.

Steve: thanks for being so quick. Please know that I only posted this here on the forum because I was half convinced it would be probably me doing something wrong.

I dld. fT103 and will try it out asap.

Continuumx
07-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Actually you could use the selective child feature to pick and choose which group of trees you might want to scatter and let the program automatically do this with a random selection using the relative parameter of the child tag.

I would say all you would need is about 4 to 5 initial variations (trees) and then set the "rel" parameter differently for these initial variations. Trees could also be scaled, rotated, and sized and positioned randomly as well with the tweak controls. Just select your polygons on the parent (I would use the reselector plugin to randomly select them) and then presto you could then easily adjust the variation and grouping of your trees using the "rel" parameters and the "child denstiy" settings!

I do not have XFROG so I canot test this, but there is an example on the website that uses this technique with the little number tags that march around the torus which have different numbers. This tree example is really another variation of this example by Steve.

Actually a great pairing combination for trees would be fusionThing and Samir's DPIT3 or XFROG.

Erik Heyninck
07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
It works fine now.
Thanks Steve!
now I can delve deeper.

ooo
07-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Actually you could use the selective child feature to pick and choose which group of trees you might want to scatter and let the program automatically do this with a random selection using the relative parameter of the child tag.

I would say all you would need is about 4 to 5 initial variations (trees) and then set the "rel" parameter differently for these initial variations. Trees could also be scaled, rotated, and sized and positioned randomly as well with the tweak controls. Just select your polygons on the parent (I would use the reselector plugin to randomly select them) and then presto you could then easily adjust the variation and grouping of your trees using the "rel" parameters and the "child denstiy" settings!

I do not have XFROG so I canot test this, but there is an example on the website that uses this technique with the little number tags that march around the torus which have different numbers. This tree example is really another variation of this example by Steve.

Actually a great pairing combination for trees would be fusionThing and Samir's DPIT3 or XFROG.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was also wondering if there were possibilities for landscapemodelling. So I guess now I will have to try this out! Not much time at the moment unfortunatly.

odo

BTW: Amazing new video Steve! :thumbsup:

Venkman
07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Your latest video made me upgrade your plug-in from "lust-worthy" to "must have".

What a freaking cool plug-in. I said it before and I'll say it again: damn I love the cinema 4d community.

AdamT
07-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Here's a quickie pic done using FS to distribute some Xfrog shrubs. I used 4 shrubs with random child and variation in scale and rotation.

http://www.3danvil.com/fusion_thing_xfrog_sm.jpg

Erik Heyninck
07-27-2005, 09:05 PM
(conspiracy tone) Comrads, the revolution has begun.
serious:
This *is* a revolution.

TonyL
07-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I've already thanked Steve for correcting the crash problem with fT, but feel that it must be public as well.

Well done, Steve, and grateful thanks. What a great addition to C4D!

Erik is right, it is a revolution. FusionThing is going to become one of the most indispensable plug-ins ever produced.

TonyL

astrofish
07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm really pleased that so many people are so enthusiastic about fT. A _lot_ of time and effort went into it, and it's great to have it finally on sale, and people excited by it.

Thanks especially to everyone who has posted samples - I'd planned to have posted more myself by now - but just haven't had a chance.

To add to the tree discussion - fT should be able to make some very nice recursive trees...
I'll try to find time tomorrow night to provide a sample.

Cheers - Steve

moka.studio
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
well it looks fantastic, and I will buy...as soon as I can budget in...
jp

rsquires
07-28-2005, 04:18 AM
I just bought it and I am going through the manual. It is absolutely killer in my humble opinion.

How could you get this to work with the procedural objects in cinema? Is it possible.

If so it would be scary what you could do with it.

Back to the manual

regards

Richard

BUZZFX
07-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Adam T.:thumbsup:
Thanks for posting the tree example. In your example did the render take a long time and how did FT and Cinema handle all the ploys? Do you think FT or C4D would bog down too much if a person wanted to create a whole valley of trees?

Look out Vue Infinite! Well that may be going a bit to far, but seriously this FusionThing Plug-In has potential.

Congratulations!
Steve :)

Erik Heyninck
07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Yup. As long as it's active, Ctrl click to eliminate that specific tree/branch, column, nernie,..., and Shift click to add one. Where you want it to be added.

Hehe I already see a market (like Poser's) for nernies, .....

Cybergooch
07-28-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.cybergooch.com/cgtalk/nurnies.jpg
Started messing around with nurnies too...kept adding more till it got crazy....

here are the objects I used...

http://www.cybergooch.com/cgtalk/bits.jpg

I'm not even using the real power of it here since I'm not welding the meshes.
Still so much I want to try out. I've got to say this kicks some serious ass!

Rich-Art
07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
:applause: :bounce:

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

astrofish
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
http://www.cybergooch.com/cgtalk/nurnies.jpg
Started messing around with nurnies too...kept adding more till it got crazy....

here are the objects I used...

http://www.cybergooch.com/cgtalk/bits.jpg

I'm not even using the real power of it here since I'm not welding the meshes.
Still so much I want to try out. I've got to say this kicks some serious ass!

Wow. Now that I like...

Now, who was asking for a city generator? The bottom of your image looks rather city like to me. (assuming you want grungy, that is).

Nice job!

Cheers - Steve

AdamT
07-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Paint Guy,
The editor view was surprisingly snappy considering the scene has over 800k polys. Fusion Thing was also surprisingly quick, taking just a few seconds to generate. Render time was around 15 minutes, which I thought was quite good considering the poly count and ray depth of 200.

I think it would be possible to do a valley of trees *if* you were careful to keep the polys of individual trees low. Ultimately you have to worry about both total poly count and what FS can handle speed-wise. You'd probably want to use very low poly trees in the distance and some higher poly versions in the foreground.

Rich-Art
07-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Arggggggg I want this wonderfull plugin to.
So if there are users with a money tree in the backyard, let me know.

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

AdamT
07-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Heh, I know what you mean. I was reading 3D World's tut on Endorphin--really looking forward to playing with the demo--when I checked and found it goes for around $13,000!! DOH!!

interactiveBoy
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
This looks fabulous Steve. Simply brilliant.

iB

astrofish
07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
I just bought it and I am going through the manual. It is absolutely killer in my humble opinion.

Thank you - now spread the word! :)

How could you get this to work with the procedural objects in cinema? Is it possible.
If so it would be scary what you could do with it.

There is currently limited support for using procedural objects - the problem is that fT needs you to select polygons to define connectors - and procedural objects don't have selectable polygons. That said, you can use them in some cases as sub-objects. The way this works is that if you put a procedural object (or a normal mesh for that matter) under a child object in the hierarchy, then it is considered to be part of that child and transformed along with it. If the original child object is just a single polygon then it effectively acts as the connector for the procedural.

Cheers - Steve

rsquires
07-29-2005, 03:27 AM
found a bug I think.

I tried to rename a null object after I had attributed it as a target to one of my "tendrils" and locked up cinema.

Using R9 on OSX 10.3.9.

And it was a shame as I was working on something to show

regards

Rich

astrofish
07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi Rich,
Ok, I'll look into this tonight.
Is it repeatable?

I take it there wasn't a crash dump, since C4D didn't actually crash?

Cheers - Steve

rsquires
07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Rich,
Ok, I'll look into this tonight.
Is it repeatable?

I take it there wasn't a crash dump, since C4D didn't actually crash?

Cheers - Steve

I had to force quit. The spinning beach ball of death happened.

However it also happened again when I had the Fusion thing tool hilighted and tried to change a Null objects name, so it wasn't related to targetting as such.

By the way you are very bad. I spent most of today getting into Fusion thing when I should have been working.

I made a sentinel from the Matrix. It took roughly half a day.

Fusion thing works with Jenna although it does slow down the editor window. I would probably do this differently but it does work!

regards

Richard

astrofish
07-29-2005, 10:01 AM
I had to force quit. The spinning beach ball of death happened.
However it also happened again when I had the Fusion thing tool hilighted and tried to change a Null objects name, so it wasn't related to targetting as such.

Ok, so the common factors so far are that it is triggered by changing the name of a NULL, whilst the fT tool is
active - and both times it got stuck in a loop.

Was the NULL associated with fT in any way this time? (e.g. was it within an fT object hierarchy, or did it have children under it?)

By the way you are very bad. I spent most of today getting into Fusion thing when I should have been working.

:) You naughty person.

I made a sentinel from the Matrix. It took roughly half a day.

Cool - so which bits are fT? (I'm guessing the arms / claws) Care to show the parts?

BTW, assuming you made the fingers of the claws seperate children, you should be able to animate the opening/closing of the claws by changing the tweak rotation parameters for that child.

Cheers - Steve

rsquires
07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
I am not at my machine at the moment but I will show you the parts next week. The arms are in fact Jenna ( using iterated cylinders ) with a base that welds to the back of the head bit. The head was also done with FT. The red eyes and various bits were stuck on with FT and scaled up and down for variation. I was going to put more plates and things on but I ran out of time. Backgrounds were also Jenna Mesharray. Suffice to say I used FT a lot, and love the possibilities it is opening up.

As to the hang I didn't have the Null anywhere near the Fusion heirachy. I just tried to rename it when the FT tool was on. I will try and repeat this when I get back to work next week.

cheers

rich

acmepixel
07-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Very cool, Richard. Looking forward to next week.

Steve, I just bought the plugin, very excited.

I also posted about FT in the Filleting thread. I think this is also an amazing filleting, uber bridge tool.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2505375

What's also really neat, it the clean yet complex mesh that's created. Works more efficiently with plugins like Path Deformer and Storm Tracer.

Looking forward to more FT site updates. :thumbsup:

Continuumx
07-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Another sample of how I am using this plugin--Thanks Steve!

The object at the bottom right hand corner of the screen is the "component" child object that I am making adjustments to. The submerged half cylinder dish shape at the bottom middle is the parent object "site".

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/7823/ftmtm11hw.jpg

astrofish
07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Acme:
Thanks for the support - glad you like the tool.

Continuumx:
Thanks very much for posting your samples! I've finally had a chance to have at look at your project over on 3dallusions (also had a good read of your 'architectural wonder thread there), very interesting stuff. Good luck with your final week on the challenge!

Everyone:
Thanks for all the interest that you've shown so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with it when you've had chance to explore it fully! Make sure you get in touch if you've got any problems, suggestions, requests, or have made something cool. And please help spread the word!

Cheers - Steve

nycL45
07-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Continuumx, I've joined the revolution! Amen. But man, what are you doing? I've read the thread two or three times, studied your images and I want to understand. I know it's awesome! It's a hoot! After the challenge, how about a tut? My head hurts. :banghead:

Edit: Nice plug, Steve. Did you have any idea you would be the instigator of a revolution?

AdamT
07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
I have a request, which may sound odd since I was testing the plugin; I thought Steve might slap me if I asked for one more feature prior to release. :)

It would be nice if you could assign all polygons to a parent object and then use a material to establish child distribution/density, in addition to using a material for choosing between multiple children and for tweaks. This would be great for pseudo-random applications.

astrofish
07-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Adam,
I have a request, which may sound odd since I was testing the plugin; I thought Steve might slap me if I asked for one more feature prior to release. :)
Yes, Adam was very good at suggesting new features/modes which hadn't even occured to me, many of which ended up in fT.
It did reach the point where I was half-dreading emails from Adam though - because I knew they'd have some wonderful suggestion that I then felt obliged to implement because I could see how useful it would be... It's one of the problems with software development - there's always something that promises to 20% more functionality for 10% more coding effort, but at some point you just have to decide that it's ready for first release, stop adding features, and make sure it's all solid.

It would be nice if you could assign all polygons to a parent object and then use a material to establish child distribution/density, in addition to using a material for choosing between multiple children and for tweaks. This would be great for pseudo-random applications.

Ok, I'm not totally sure I know what you mean. It sounds like you are talking about having a material controlling the 'density' parameter (which controls the number of children added for each parent connector - is that correct?

nycL45:
Well, I was hoping that people would grok what the plugin did, and that I could get enough people to buy it make it worth the amount of development time I spent on it - (ask Adam how long ago he saw the first version!). I'm pretty happy with the initial response I've had, and hope to keep the momentum up. As for a revolution, well as long as it doesn't involve angry mobs waving torches, or other such things, then I guess that would be fine... :)

Cheers - Steve

astrofish
07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh yes - don't forget, introductory price of $135 is ending real soon now. If you're on the fence, now's the time to decide! (Normal price is $195)

Cheers - Steve

Thalaxis
07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Oh yes - don't forget, introductory price of $135 is ending real soon now. If you're on the fence, now's the time to decide! (Normal price is $195)

Cheers - Steve

It's worth $195, so $135 is quite a bargain :)

AdamT
07-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Adam,

Ok, I'm not totally sure I know what you mean. It sounds like you are talking about having a material controlling the 'density' parameter (which controls the number of children added for each parent connector - is that correct?

No, more so controlling the actual polygon selection for the parent connector. So, a poly that exceeds luminence value x get's counted as a parent connector, while a sub-x polygon does not.

astrofish
07-31-2005, 04:47 PM
No, more so controlling the actual polygon selection for the parent connector. So, a poly that exceeds luminence value x get's counted as a parent connector, while a sub-x polygon does not.

Ok, gotcha. You can actually achieve the same effect already, with a little bit of trickery...

Select all the polygons on the parent mesh, then create your parent connector in the usual way (quickest way to select all the polys is to use C4D's Select all tool, then switch to fT tool, and press 'use poly selection' if needed).
Add a 'dummy child'. This is a child that doesn't do anything. Quickest way to do this is to create a normal child, then delete it's poly selection tag. It still has a Child tag, so it can be selected, but that tag doesn't have a valid poly selection, so it can't actually build anything. Normally this isn't much use, but it's helpful here because it allows you to say "don't change anything".
Adjust the child ordering, and the 'rel. prob. parameters', to decide what range you want to mean 'don't process'.
E.g. Suppose you have two proper children, you want the first (A) to be used twice as often as the second (B), but you don't want either if the material channel is less than 0.25. So, you want the first 0.25 of the channel range to mean 'do nothing', the next 0.5 to mean child A, and the last 0.25 to mean child B. The relative probabilities to use are then 1,2,1 for the 'dummy', then A, then B. Order the children in the same order in the hierarchy, and you are done. By changing the rel.prob values and child ordering, you can map whatever channel range you want to whatever child you want.
The sample project file 'ftMaterialChildSelect01.c4d' uses exactly this technique.
See attached image - all polygons on the plane have been selected, and child selected based on the material channel. The first child has rel. prob of 2, the total of the rel. prob values for all children is 8, so the first 2/8 = 0.25 of the channel range selects this child, and doesn't change the parent.

By the way the reason for using relative probability, rather than just probability, is so that you don't have to worry about making sure the total is one every time you change anything, and so that you can add/remove children without having to change the others.

So, Adam, is this what you meant?

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
07-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Continuumx:
Thanks very much for posting your samples! I've finally had a chance to have at look at your project over on 3dallusions (also had a good read of your 'architectural wonder thread there), very interesting stuff. Good luck with your final week on the challenge!

Thanks Steve! I appreciate the comments for the architectural wonder thread! I have a lot to do still, your plugin is helping tremendously with developing the design, because it lets me work like I did when I actually would build physical models!

I should go and repair some of the links to the images in that 'architectural wonder thread!'

Continuumx
07-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Continuumx, I've joined the revolution! Amen. But man, what are you doing? I've read the thread two or three times, studied your images and I want to understand. I know it's awesome! It's a hoot! After the challenge, how about a tut? My head hurts. :banghead:

Hello nycL45,

No problem, I would be delighted to help!

nycL45
07-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Now that's community. :thumbsup: Bravo, Continuumx. I'll check back.

astrofish
08-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Here's an early version of another architectural sample that I'm going to put up on the main site. Thought I'd show the current version here though - since several people seem interested in its architectural abilities. Some of you may well recognise what it's supposed to be.

Anyway, the building on the right is constructed procedurally entirely from the five simple meshes on the left, using fusionThing. The specular breakup between the glass panes is achieved by telling fT to put a few degrees randomness into the orientation of each pane. Imagine doing that by hand...

Cheers - Steve

AdamT
08-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks Steve, that does what I was asking for. Well, I'll have to think of something else to keep you off the streets. :)

lllab
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
OK- now i am interested! :-)

cheers
stefan

moka.studio
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Here's an early version of another architectural sample that I'm going to put up on the main site. Thought I'd show the current version here though - since several people seem interested in its architectural abilities. Some of you may well recognise what it's supposed to be.

Anyway, the building on the right is constructed procedurally entirely from the five simple meshes on the left, using fusionThing. The specular breakup between the glass panes is achieved by telling fT to put a few degrees randomness into the orientation of each pane. Imagine doing that by hand...

Cheers - Steve

ah the Gurkin!
This is a nice example,
... I will be buying.... I will be...
Question: Is it possible to use FT to evenly distribute a panel type on a free form ( say I want to reconstruct a free geomtric form using sized similar panels). - If so then this would truly be a powerful tool for architectural concepts!
jp

astrofish
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
ah the Gurkin!
Yup! Still got a bit of work to do on it, but pleased with it so far.

This is a nice example,
... I will be buying.... I will be...

That's what I like to hear... :)

Question: Is it possible to use FT to evenly distribute a panel type on a free form ( say I want to reconstruct a free geomtric form using sized similar panels). - If so then this would truly be a powerful tool for architectural concepts!
jp

I'm not certain whether this is what you're asking for (if not, please ask again), but fT can take any mesh, and replace every polygon (or any selection of polygons) in the mesh with another mesh, distorting the new meshes as needed to make them fit together properly. And then it can weld them all together for you.

The simple rule is that if you've got a piece of geometry (e.g. a panel) that tiles together cleanly on a regular grid, then fT can ALWAYS tile it together cleanly on an arbitrary shaped mesh.

So, typically you would design your panels cleanly as square or rectangular meshes, then build a low-polygon model of the building (as in the project above), then let fT automatically shape each individual panel to fit...

The great thing about this is that you are still free to change the basic shape and topology of your building. So, if I decided that the Gherkin needed more floors, or some bulges, then I'd just edit the low polygon 'reference' mesh on the left of the image, and fT would rebuild it in a few seconds.

So, you get to see what your fully built model will look like, whilst still been able to make fundamental changes to the structure.

I've only used two window panels here (triangular and diamond) both exactly the same colour. If I wanted to add some colour variation, I'd just give the new windows to fT as well, and tell it to randomly choose between them.

And if you really can't decide what shape your building should be, why not use Point Level Animation on your base mesh...

As always, any questions - just ask!

Cheers - Steve

moka.studio
08-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info Steve, In your exemple, the big panels are deformed to fit to the low poly mesh, right? What if the polygons on the base mesh and the 'skin' elements have very different forms, or if the base mesh has a very irregular geometry? -
what if I don't want the panels to be stretched to fit the base mesh, but rather be evenly ditributed ( well, as much as possible) on the base mesh?
I will send you an email showing you what I am refering to---
jean-pierre

astrofish
08-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info Steve, In your exemple, the big panels are deformed to fit to the low poly mesh, right?[quote]

Correct.

[quote] What if the polygons on the base mesh and the 'skin' elements have very different forms, or if the base mesh has a very irregular geometry? -

In order for fT to be able to conform the 'panels' (or whatever) onto a base mesh, the requirement is that the polygon connectors have the same topology. I.e. the same number of polygons of the same type, connected to each other in the same way. For example, if you've got an L-shaped panel with a connector made of four Quads laid out like this:

# # #
#

Then this can be attached to any equivalent piece of geometry on the parent.

The important thing is that the base connectors and the detail mesh connectors only need to be topologically equivalent, i.e. the same mesh layout.
The actual positions of the vertices doesn't matter.

So a square quad on a detail piece will happily connect to a diamond shaped quad on the main mesh - since they are both Quads. Obviously the greater the difference in the shapes, the greater the level of distortion there has to be - but the edges will still meet up and weld cleanly.

what if I don't want the panels to be stretched to fit the base mesh, but rather be evenly ditributed ( well, as much as possible) on the base mesh?
I will send you an email showing you what I am refering to---
jean-pierre

Conform mode is optional. You can tell fT not to deform the detail meshes, but instead just try to get the best fit rotation and scaling, without changing shape.

(Haven't seen an email yet - so sorry if this isn't what you mean)

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
08-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Cheers - Steve

Thanks Steve for showing this, this is exactly what I did by hand on my "Architectural Wonder" piece- I manually went into the mesh, moved points around, realigned polygons, one by one, and built the structure all from splines one by one - painful!

With your plugin, this can be achieved nicely without all that work!

Katachi
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
When will there be a demo?

astrofish
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
When will there be a demo?

Not sure yet. I've got some other things to do first...

Cheers - Steve

jsls
08-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow! This looks like a serious piece of work....too cool! Awesome plug-in!!!

moka.studio
08-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Wow! This looks like a serious piece of work....too cool! Awesome plug-in!!!

Just bumping it up Steve, it would be a shame if someone misses out news on this - ( with all the 9.5 talk)
jp

Pegasus
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
thanks for the info... :)

acmepixel
08-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Bumping thread also.

I'm actually supprised that nobody is talking about the automatic filleting functions of this plugin. I remember back in the R6 days, when Thorn put up a tutorial on making pipe joins and fillets, because it was so difficult to do. And it was a constant question poping up on the forums, for years.

Later on, MeshSurgery made quicker work of filleting and joining, as did Arndt's EdgeExtrudePro plugin. And now some of the new edge tools in R9 make things a bit easier.

But FusionThing is a quantum leap ahead in this modeling category. That and the "automatic architecture cladding" makes this plugin a "must have".

It's like velcro; how did we get along without it, before? :thumbsup:

Katachi
08-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree it looks tasty, but with this price I´d rather like to have a look first before buying it.

Continuumx
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I have another example of using this plugin that saved me at least hours of modeling which was accomplished in less than 20 minutes and allows me to change the topolology of the surface mesh any time as I choose.

moka.studio
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I agree it looks tasty, but with this price I´d rather like to have a look first before buying it.

It is nice when plugin developers offer demos ;)
I am sure Astrofish iwll bring one out, once he gets to it -

astrofish
08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi Samir (and everyone else asking about a demo),

First, I'd just like to say that I really do feel that for the level of functionality it provides, the price I'm asking is entirely reasonable. [Put it another way - If I can't sell a decent number of copies at this price, then I can't justify spending the amount of time this took on any future plugins].

However, with that said, I do realise that it is not cheap and I can fully appreciate why some people want a hands-on trial of the software before buying...

So, I do intend to produce a demo version at some point, but at the moment I'm fully occupied with adding samples to the website, responding to questions, fixing minor bugs, etc, etc. Once that's all calmed down a bit, I'll turn my attentions to getting a demo version out there. So a demo will emerge, but don't expect it for a little while...

In the meantime, please ask if you have any questions about what it can and can't do. As I improve the website it should become clearer what its capabilities are, and (via the videos), what it's like to use.

Thanks for the support so far.

Cheers - Steve

Katachi
08-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Astro,

I never intented to doubt the price is reasonable, really :) I know (and you should know I know) that development and time spent creating the plugin is most of the time more than reasonable for what it does, but I am doing graphics design beside my plugin development so it´s very important to me if the workflow fits my schedule. If it fits, I am the last to not buy what I need (and then the price is secondary). But without a demo I cannot check this.

So I am waiting for a demo.

rodney71
08-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Acme, i've seen a couple posts from you describing the filleting features of FusionThing. Can you describe or show what you mean...or point out where in the tutorial manual describes this feature? thanks

astrofish
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Ok, understood. I'll let you know when it emerges.

Cheers - Steve

Hi Astro,
I never intented to doubt the price is reasonable, really :) I know (and you should know I know) that development and time spent creating the plugin is most of the time more than reasonable for what it does, but I am doing graphics design beside my plugin development so it´s very important to me if the workflow fits my schedule. If it fits, I am the last to not buy what I need (and then the price is secondary). But without a demo I cannot check this.
So I am waiting for a demo.

boxy
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey Steve you swine! I was happily minding my own business checking out the posts, had no intention of spending any cash but everything suddenly went misty, I saw awsome repeating pattern things pass in front of my eyes and when the fog cleared I had bought FT...of all the dirty rotten tricks.........

Awesome plug!
Cheers
Boxy
;)

Continuumx
08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I just thought of another cool usage of this plugin.

You could use it to create tens of different random based color tile patterns using the relative parameter and child objects that are modeled after wall or floor tile with varying colors!

The neat thing is that it is all live and can be changed at will!

acmepixel
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Acme, i've seen a couple posts from you describing the filleting features of FusionThing. Can you describe or show what you mean...or point out where in the tutorial manual describes this feature? thanks

Hah! "where in the manual" is a good question. Not there, that's always been the problem.

Here's some good examples (very extensive, lots of pictures;
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut7/Hyper0.html
specifically;
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut7/Hyper4.html
and;
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut7/Hyper6.html
and
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut7/Hyper11.html

EdgeExtrudePro makes this a lot easier than the manual method, and FusionThing now gives us a whole new way to approach the problem. :applause:

rodney71
08-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks acme, but I was specifically refering to how Fusion Thing handles filleting and what controls it seems to give. I scanned through the tutorial document and didn't see anything obvious that referred to object joints. Can you post some examples maybe or explain how it tackles the problem?

astrofish
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Rodney,
fusionThing doesn't actually add extra fillet detail, as such. What it does do though is align meshes well, weld them all together cleanly, and if the meshes are different shapes at the point of connection then it provides a control (blend) for the blending of the vertex positions at the contact points to smooth between the two shapes - setting this to 50% will usually give a nice smooth transition. Other controls (tweak settings) let you control the relative position, rotation etc of the two meshes, which gives some more control over the transistion. If you drop the fT object into a HyperNURBS object then you'll get clean surface flow because fT makes sure you get a clean (HN friendly) mesh over the connection.

If you want more control over the blend shape, you can stack multiple 'thin sliver' mesh elements between the main pieces, so you then have adjustment controls for each slice.

Short version:
fT doesn't create additional geometry for fillets, instead it blends the shapes of the two objects at the contact region in a controlled way so that they fit together naturally without the need for a gap filling fillet.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers - Steve

Erik Heyninck
08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
You create a child object and tell fusionThing which selection of polys you want to use to "glue" to the parent object.
On the parent object you create (a) selection(s) where you want the child object to be glued to. The moment you do, you get a wireframe ghost of what the result will be.
Then you say ok, or you change.

This is basics. You can use various ways to get more or less random placements, and the shapes do not have to be identical as long as they have the same number of polys and points.
The polys that would be indisde the new object and which would negatively affect the HN are automatically deleted.

astrofish
08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Erik, thanks for posting the sample.

The polys that would be indisde the new object and which would negatively affect the HN are automatically deleted.

I think this is worth stressing - the fT weld process isn't just running 'optimise'...

As Erik has noted, after connecting meshes together, the resulting internal polygons are removed (unless you explicitly tell it to keep them - useful in some cases - but not usually).
The same thing applies when you ask it to weld children to each other, as well as to the parent.

So, you take two closed meshes with clean topology, fT them together, and you've now get a single combined mesh, still with clean topology.

The fact you don't make holes in the meshes before connecting them speeds the workflow up, and makes it more flexible - source objects don't need to be specially prepared.

I put a lot of effort into making sure that if you put clean meshes in, you'll get clean meshes out - to make sure that fT and HyperNURBS work well together...

Cheers - Steve

acmepixel
08-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks acme, but I was specifically refering to how Fusion Thing handles filleting and what controls it seems to give. I scanned through the tutorial document and didn't see anything obvious that referred to object joints. Can you post some examples maybe or explain how it tackles the problem?

Sorry for the lack of response Rodney, under a killer deadline.

Steve and Erik, thanks for stepping in with the lucid explanations. :thumbsup:

AdamT
08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that Builder works fine in R9.5--barring any last minute changes (which would be quite unlikely to affect Builder IMO).

astrofish
08-04-2005, 07:54 PM
In case you are wondering, Builder was the top-secret internal name for fusionThing... :)

Just wanted to let you all know that Builder works fine in R9.5--barring any last minute changes (which would be quite unlikely to affect Builder IMO).

AdamT
08-04-2005, 07:57 PM
In case you are wondering, Builder was the top-secret internal name for fusionThing... :)
Doh! To me it will always be builder. :)

karanta
08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I bought the plugin and I´m very happy with my purchase :)
(Some more tutorial videos would be great ;)... hint ;) ....)

astrofish
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I bought the plugin and I´m very happy with my purchase :)

Good!

(Some more tutorial videos would be great ;)... hint ;) ....)

Yeah, I know - I'm behind on videos and sample updates. There will be more.

If you use RSS, sign up to the RSS feed on my site - I'll mention any significant updates in there.

Cheers - Steve

dfaris
08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
So can we still get this for $135 or has that changed? I was waiting till siggy to see what Maxon came out with.

JoelOtron
08-05-2005, 04:23 PM
So can we still get this for $135 or has that changed? I was waiting till siggy to see what Maxon came out with.

huh?

You must have been away all week. :)

dfaris
08-05-2005, 07:08 PM
huh?

You must have been away all week. :)

How did you guess? with my job i'm away for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. But thanks for the answer.

JoelOtron
08-05-2005, 07:23 PM
How did you guess? with my job i'm away for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. But thanks for the answer.

Sorry--wasnt trying to be an a-hole. I just found it funny considering all the hoopla here all week. I dont have the answer--but I would assume the offer has ended.

Check out the new C4d features here in the forum and at Maxon.net

dfaris
08-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Sorry--wasnt trying to be an a-hole. I just found it funny considering all the hoopla here all week. I dont have the answer--but I would assume the offer has ended.

Check out the new C4d features here in the forum and at Maxon.net

No offence taken. No problem. Thanks for this answer and I guess I missed the boat on this deal. My damn job is always getting in the way of my fun.

Tiziano
08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
fT looks so extensive that I can't quite get all that it does.
For instance, does it negate the need for Edge Extrude Pro?

AdamT
08-05-2005, 08:58 PM
fT looks so extensive that I can't quite get all that it does.
For instance, does it negate the need for Edge Extrude Pro?
No, the two don't overlap much, if at all.

astrofish
08-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Finished 'Gherkin' architectural sample now uploaded to the main fT page (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing#archi).

Two versions of the project file can also be downloaded there.
(First version is the one used to produce the images on the webpage, the second one is a cleaned up faster version that does things slightly differently).

Cheers - Steve

acmepixel
08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Very helpful, much appreciated. Stuff like this is really important to getting up to speed with the plugin quickly.

Any progress on the "Detailing, Coming Soon" section?

:applause:

karanta
08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
... and some tutorials please ;)

astrofish
08-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Any progress on the "Detailing, Coming Soon" section?
... and some tutorials please ;)

Both are in my lengthy 'TO DO' list. I'll put something up as soon as I have a chance...
Please bear with me.

Cheers - Steve

Erik Heyninck
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I am far from 3D genius, but I find that I have never gotten a better and clearer documentation that fusionThings. When you take the manual (I printed it out) and follow the tutorials in it with the files (!), then you get a good idea about what fT can do.

Yet, whet I would love to know (probably it is simple) is how you got those losange-shapes quads on that egg-house. (When I first saw it, I thought it was the golden Egg's HQ.)

I also got PowerAxis now as I read what it can do for soft selections...

Hey, Steve: if you ever get bored: I guess you are THE man to write that 2000page thick manual for DiTools... ;)

rodney71
08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Hey Eric, where did you read about soft selections with Power Axis? can you provide a link or description. sounds interesting.

moka.studio
08-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey Eric, where did you read about soft selections with Power Axis? can you provide a link or description. sounds interesting.

If you use Power Axis with a soft selection, Power Axis will override the Axis, so zou can rotate around it, while still maintaining the soft selection centered around anoter part of the mesh, or outside of the mesh.
Also PowerAxis will be used as the center for the falloff, which is really usefull if you turn on the 'restrict to selection" optio for the soft selection.

( besides that it comes in handy to align objects)
jp

Continuumx
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
If you use Power Axis with a soft selection, Power Axis will override the Axis, so zou can rotate around it, while still maintaining the soft selection centered around anoter part of the mesh, or outside of the mesh.
Also PowerAxis will be used as the center for the falloff, which is really usefull if you turn on the 'restrict to selection" optio for the soft selection.

( besides that it comes in handy to align objects)
jp

I would still have to see a visual representation of this, I too have poweraxis, but do not use it in this manner.

moka.studio
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I would still have to see a visual representation of this, I too have poweraxis, but do not use it in this manner.

Create a mesh( for ex a 20x20plane), make a soft selection, with Restrict turned on, and Mode: Center ( or group)
even if you manually move the axis, in free mode, the soft selectio influence will still be centered dependant on the selection.

Now enable power axis, then use the soft selections also with Restrict, and Center Mode, and you will see that the area of influence is centered on the axis, which can be very usefull for some modelling tasks ( it is more how soft selections should behave, meaning there should be the ability to move the gizmo for the center of influence, ala Mesh Surgery, modo...)
jp

Continuumx
08-14-2005, 03:06 AM
I am viewing the modo siggraph presentation video and watching the new features such as the mesh brush tool and mesh brush instancing. the mesh brush for modo is shown with an example of putting hair on a model that changes in scale in relation to the scale of the model.

The most interesting thing is that we have this all of this functionality with fusionThing plugin!

rodney71
08-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Actually the scale was governed by an interactive falloff (linear falloff in the video) which is part of the Modo toolpipe. It is a different technique but I'm sure you could get some similar results with fusion thing. As far as I know fT doesn't provide user controlled interactive scale falloff...or does it with spline curve control?

Continuumx
08-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Actually the scale was governed by an interactive falloff (linear falloff in the video) which is part of the Modo toolpipe. It is a different technique but I'm sure you could get some similar results with fusion thing. As far as I know fT doesn't provide user controlled interactive scale falloff...or does it with spline curve control?

With fT, you have control over size, position, and rotation elements of all child objects, the object scale with the size of the selected polygons on the parent object (which usually scale in relation to the scale of the object so the polygons would become smaller on the tail of a lizard object). I would say this would a form of falloff, maybe not as advanced as Modo, there is no spline curve control of the tweak settings, although that would be an interesting feature, not sure if needed since you have the other controls.

astrofish
08-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi gang,
ContinuumX is correct. There isn't any spline based control of parameters, but initial scaling is based on the size of the polygon(s) being connected to.

On top of that, you have:

The 'tweak' controls to further adjust the pos/size/rot of all the children of the parent
The 'tweak variability' controls to apply some controlled random variability between the children
Material based tweaking, to apply variability based on a material channel, to give adjustment of child parameters (and/or choice of a child from a set) based on where on the model they are, via a UVW mapped material.
There are all animateable, and can all be combined with each other.

(And yes, further fT samples ARE on the way. Next one will be up on the website Wednesday at the latest)

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
08-16-2005, 04:26 AM
Repeat post...disregard.

Continuumx
08-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Fantastic fusionThing sighting over at Maxwell Render forums- the modeling revolution continues! I found some beautiful work in production that deserves mention.

ref: http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55890#55890

Artist: Kabe

williamsburroughs
08-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Awesome...awesome...awesome....thanks for the link!

I have to get cranking on Fusion Thing!

Erik Heyninck
08-16-2005, 04:51 AM
perhaps this can be hosted elsewhere as I have to login and i don't intend to buy maxwell?

Continuumx
08-16-2005, 05:14 AM
I will see if Kabe can post some here!

Kabe
08-16-2005, 07:20 PM
After they've mentioned, I guess I should show some picts. All except the last one that shows the interlocking structure used in the previous pict were rendered in Maxwell (testing 2 plugins at the same time). I just have to say that fusionThing for me is one of the Top 5 Cinema plugins I ever bought - and I have quite a few of them... This are by no means final picts, just dabbling around. I would also like to stress that they show only one specific aspect of fusionThing, and probably not even the one aspect Steve had in mind :thumbsup:

Ok, nuff talking, let's show the images ;)

http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase1.jpg
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase2.jpg
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase3.jpg
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase4.jpg
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase5.jpg
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTCrisscross.jpg

Cheers

Kabe

Darth Mole
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Amazing! Beautiful models and renders... fT is darn clever isn't it?

Kabe
08-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Two more... to show at least a bit more than just straight ornamental work:

Single mesh with iterative trees. Using one simple fork element for the trees with some variation:
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTtrees.jpg

Iterative to the extreme: In fact, the following is a 4-quad object that is used on itself a number of times (>10). So if you understand iterative fractal systems - then you know that this is one:
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTIFS1.jpg

However - I would like to stress that fT is incredible versatil when you are doing architecture... it's just that I got carried away with doing these organics, and I'm not happy yet with my architectural stuff.

You can do stuff like these organics, but it's not necessarily the first thing that springs to mind, and it requires a tad of cleverness as well (though I agree that fT is clever, I would not like to leave the impression that it would be just a press of a button thing).

Kabe

JoelOtron
08-16-2005, 09:29 PM
WOW!

I was thinking that this might be used to create branching bronchiole tubes in the lungs, then you could actually do a fly through within the continuous geometry. Your tree example shows this.

Heres an idea for a feature, perhaps using an object as an envelope shape, so the branching continues till it appraches the inside edge of the envelope. So for an organic shape like a lungm the tubes would conform and branch till they reached the walls or an offset distance to the wall.

This plugin gets more and more intriguing.

Continuumx
08-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Iterative to the extreme: In fact, the following is a 4-quad object that is used on itself a number of times (>10). So if you understand iterative fractal systems - then you know that this is one:However - I would like to stress that fT is incredible versatil when you are doing architecture... it's just that I got carried away with doing these organics, and I'm not happy yet with my architectural stuff.
Kabe

Kabe, Fabulously smashing good work here! I must say that what you are working through has a lot to do with Architecture. Organic systems of natural structure is one of the most important if not original of all reference structural forms!

I say you have never left your "architectural stuff", what you have done is moved the focus into another region which by the way is very fascinating!

JIII
08-17-2005, 01:28 AM
exactly how did you make those vases :-/ jeezus that's amazing.

MJV
08-17-2005, 01:43 AM
Holy cow! You sold me Klaus. Those are some incredible meshes.

MJV
08-17-2005, 01:45 AM
And oh yes great renders too. :thumbsup:

Kabe
08-17-2005, 06:23 AM
exactly how did you make those vases

As soon as you really got the idea of fusionThing, it's not that hard. See the following pict:
http://klausbusse.de/Temp/fusionThing/fTVase1makingOf.jpg

All I have here are two slightly different child objects - only one shown in the mesh-, which which are attached via fT to a simple parent mesh of the form. The child object has "welds", which allow fusionThing to create a single mesh out of them, which works nice in subdivision/hypernurbs. You can apply certain childs to selections, and if carefully designed then different childs mix very well. Actually you can even introduce variations in fT without breaking the mesh ("superweld" option). There are a couple of parameters that play a role here, and it really pays off to read and work through the documentation, which is fairly extensive.
You get the general idea quick, but to fully grasp the finer points I needed a couple of days. I'm still discovering new concepts with it, and I'm confident that I have not used it to it's full potential - I haven't played around with the "choose child by texture" option yet :)

This is really a mind extender, and it's very inspiring to explore really new ideas that simply were not possible before. Actually I had a very rough concept of something similar in my own concept book, and (without knowing of it) Steve really made my dreams (and something more) come true.

Kabe

astrofish
08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
For anyone waiting for the next tutorial video to go up on the website, it'll be tomorrow.
(Would have been today, but I wasted a load of time dealing with a problem with my ISP).

Edit: Video delayed one more day. (It's recorded already but I need to do a little editing and sort out an audio slippage problem).

Subject is using fT for creating/applying nurnies/greebles.

Thanks to Kabe for filling in in the meantime. :)

Cheers - Steve

MJV
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Is this thing available for the original discount price anymore, or has that ship sailed?

astrofish
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Is this thing available for the original discount price anymore, or has that ship sailed?

Sorry, that ended a couple of weeks ago...

Cheers - Steve

MJV
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Is it coming back? :)

astrofish
08-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Is it coming back? :)

No further sales planned at the moment.

Cheers - Steve

MJV
08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
:cry: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):cry: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):cry: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Fair enough Astrofish.

moka.studio
08-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Beautifull work, Kabe
jp

Duffdaddy
08-18-2005, 09:56 AM
This is an outstanding tool, discount or none. If you love it, support it - don't let it go the way of Jenna or CPT, remember what happened to those? - and I personally never thought they were expensive!
Keep it up Astrofish, this is a superb 1.0 version release with good documentation and great examples so even the stupid among us can enjoy this tool.
To all those ingenius C4D plugin programmers - I salute you :thumbsup:

raycerx
08-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey Steve, This looks awesome! I have been prowling this thread and had a couple quick questions (sorry if they have already been asked..) I am ordering my own 9.5 and when it is delivered I will be stocking up on plugs. The license I am on now is owned by my former employer. So, is your plug tied to serials? And, does it work on 9.5?

Cheers
D

AdamT
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll leave the first question to Steve, but yes, it works great with 9.5.

astrofish
08-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Dennis,

Hey Steve, This looks awesome! I have been prowling this thread and had a couple quick questions (sorry if they have already been asked..) I am ordering my own 9.5 and when it is delivered I will be stocking up on plugs. The license I am on now is owned by my former employer. So, is your plug tied to serials? And, does it work on 9.5?
Cheers
D
Thanks.

Yes, fT has a keycode tied to your C4D serial number.

I've not got 9.5 yet, but as you can see Adam has been testing fT with the 9.5 beta. I will be officially supporting 9.5, so if any changes are needed (which looks unlikely anyway), then I'll make them. (It'd be crazy for me to NOT support 9.5 anyway, and fT doesn't rely on any sneaky tricks with the C4D API interface, so I don't expect any significant problems).

BTW, if you (or anyone else reading this) already has 9.0 and is waiting for 9.5 before ordering fT in order to avoid serial number hassles - there's no need to.
9.5 is a module, and as such your fT key for 9.0 will still work with 9.5.

Cheers - Steve

Daoine
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
May I just add that this is a truly remarkable plugin, and Steve is just as remarkable a developer and has a great sense of customer service. I tried creating an archway with 180 degree connectors, and it didn't work (ft only supports 90 degree connectors), I contact steve and ask him how to make an arched door with ft. He replies within an hour! with an easy and relatively quick workaround... and this is the real kicker; he labels the 180 degree connector issue as a BUG and puts it on his bug list of things to "fix". I'm sorry, but that ain't a bug, that's added functionality, plain and simple! One hell of a plugin, and one hell of a guy! Thanks Steve:buttrock::applause::deal:

Remember how good NOTA was at 1.0, and how good it is NOW:thumbsup:, it's gonna be like that:deal:

We have the best developers:applause:

Daoine

raycerx
08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Adam, Thanks Steve, I am currently on 8.5 (imagine..) So Its high time I move with Cinema to stay current. Therefore it will be new serials for me...

Thanks again1
D

astrofish
08-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Finally got the next two training videos uploaded (numbers 5 and 6), which between them show how I used fT to apply all the detailing on this model, starting from a bunch of basic generic child detail elements.

The idea is that you can build up libraries of detail pieces without worrying too much about what model they are going to be used on. You can them give them to fT, and let it worry about getting them to fit cleanly to the model.

This means that you can add detail pieces that you create for use with one model to your library and then easily re-use them on future models, rather than having to custom shape every piece for the particular model it is intended for.

The first video shows how the complex details in the recessed areas were generated.
The second video shows how to use immediate mode to quickly lay down larger detail pieces such as the pipe details.

The final project file is also downloadable, so you can look at how I've put together the detail pieces using reference connectors.

Link to videos (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/index.html#traVid)

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks Steve for another excellent tutorial. I love the shortcut command suggestion for child and parent connectors. Very nice tip!

karanta
08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the new tutorials Steve :)

astrofish
08-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the new tutorials Steve :)

No problem. Hope they are useful!

Cheers - Steve

Continuumx
08-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Here is my final image from some pages back where I used Steve's fusionThing for a lot of detail work in this image.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269167

Thanks Steve for a wonderful plugin, it fits my style of work perfectly!

Ernest Burden
08-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Here is my final image from some pages back where I used Steve's fusionThing...it fits my style of work perfectly!

Tyrone

Your work is always fantastic. I don't like the house, but still appreciate your approach. If only other architects (meaning the architects I work for) were as creative. Of course, if they had the same talent, they wouldn't need me.

I hadn't been following this thread, thinking it was about a plug-in I wouldn't really need. But then today I remembered that I already bought it.

I guess I had better see the tutorial, learn how to use it!

AdamT
08-21-2005, 03:56 AM
You might want to get some sleep too. :)

Continuumx
08-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Tyrone

Your work is always fantastic. I don't like the house, but still appreciate your approach. If only other architects (meaning the architects I work for) were as creative. Of course, if they had the same talent, they wouldn't need me.

I hadn't been following this thread, thinking it was about a plug-in I wouldn't really need. But then today I remembered that I already bought it.

I guess I had better see the tutorial, learn how to use it!

Thank you Ernest, I appreciate your comments. I highly value your critiques. The plugin is wonderful, just when you have some spare time work through the tutorial that Steve has provided, it will get up and running very quickly.

Continuumx
08-22-2005, 03:06 AM
You might want to get some sleep too. :)

Thanks Adam, I think I will follow that advice to the letter!

acmepixel
08-26-2005, 03:35 AM
3D Attack, September issue is out and has two pages of in-depth review, of Steve's wonderful FusionThing plugin, by Gary Zullo.

This is a must-have magazine for all c4d users, anyway, but if you have not bought FusionThing yet (and you know who you are) then shell out the $4.99 and get this latest issue;

http://3dattack.net

Lots' of other goodies in it but thats outside the scope of this thread. ;-)

bkjernisted
09-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Could someone tell me the exact steps to take to fuse a tunnel between two blocks. For example subdivide two blocks and choose a single face on each block and create a tunnel between those two faces. Can the blended joints between the blocks and tunnel be adjusted to create different sized fillets?

astrofish
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Could someone tell me the exact steps to take to fuse a tunnel between two blocks. For example subdivide two blocks and choose a single face on each block and create a tunnel between those two faces. Can the blended joints between the blocks and tunnel be adjusted to create different sized fillets?

Hi,
Actually, the standard C4D bridge tool is probably the easiest way to do this, if you've got simple geometry.

If you've already got two objects in the places you want them to be, and you are wanting to add a third mesh element that connects them without moving either of them, then fusionThing doesn't (yet...) provide that functionality.

What you can do is take your first block, use fusionThing to connect an arbitrary 'tunnel' mesh to a face (or set of faces) of that block, then connect another block to the other end of the tunnel. The position of the second of these blocks will then be wherever it needs to be to join cleanly with the tunnel, for the current set of tweak settings.

As long as the connectors match up (basically have the same number of polygons - often just one), then the 'blocks' and 'tunnel' can be any shaped pieces of geometry you want.

Cheers - Steve

bkjernisted
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Would it be possible to provide a clear tutorial that would explain all the necessary steps to do this kind of thing.

acmepixel
06-06-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd like to keep this thread alive. If any FT users have some new stuff to post or if Steve has any updates, news, new tutorials, etc. that would be great.

Also, those with 9.6, and/or MoGraph, along with FT; if you could share experiences, samples, etc. would also be A Good Thing.

:D

astrofish
06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Acme,
Apologies for the lack of news - I was meaning to do (and still mean to do) a lot more with tutorials and videos for fT, and update the website (which I know is badly needed). As tends to happen, a whole bunch of things conspired to suck up most of my time so it hasn't happened yet.

You'll be pleased to hear that one thing that <b>is</b> happening is that I'm deep in code working on an update to fT right now. Once the update is released I'm intending to put a lot more effort into getting the word out, with more samples and video tutorials on the website. I did rather fluff the promotion of it first time around.

I prefer not to announce detailed features in advance, but you can expect substantial speedups, improvements in useability, and of course fun new capabilities :-).

And whilst I'm here, thanks to those of you who have bought a copy, and remember to let me know your feature requests! (here is fine, or by email) Naturally there are no guarantees that any particular feature will get implemented, but it's always useful to know what people want, and sometimes they can be easy

Meanwhile, I'm always interested to see stuff that people with more artistic ability than myself have being making with it, so if you've got anything good, please post it!

Cheers - Steve

bhealy27
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Steve,

Keep your head down and keep coding I'm looking forward to you next version. FT is a great plugin and, sadly, not talked about enough. The minute I saw it I had to buy it. Probably more than anything else it was THE plugin that opened my eyes to the real potential of C4D. Since then I've bought a ton of plugins, modules, training videos, copies of Attack magazine, etc. for C4D and really gotten hooked on C4D. Though Mograph is an excellent, excellent module, it doesn't replace FT.

Thanks again for a really unique and powerful plugin.

Brian

acmepixel
11-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I just happened upon the FusionThing site to grab the link to help out a guy on another forum, when low and behold I see new stuff! Really cool new stuff.

The BBC examples and Alex Ritter's beautiful works are most inspiring. And also the big news that FusionThing is not only UB now but R10 compatible too.

FusionThing Homepage (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/)

I'm quite supprised Steve didn't mention it here on this forum himself.

Augustronïc™
11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks for those news.
I didn't expect fusion Thing ever to become updated.

Have a nice day!
Aloha Achim

ooo
11-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the headsup!
Great news about FT!

Anyone knows if it's available for download or do i have to request the upgrade by e-mail?

odo

astrofish
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Guys,
Glad to hear people are still interested in fT!

Yes, I've now rebuilt it for UB, and verified that it plays nice with R10.
Functionality is the same though, which is why I didn't make a big deal about it.

A functionality update is in the works, but still has quite a way to go. Yes, I know that it's been a long time since release, and I can appreciate that it looks like little development is happening. It is, it's just that there are lots of other things (like my day job) competing for my time. Of course, if I sold more copies, I'd be closer to my goal of quitting the day job, and have more time for development... :)

Anyway, I've decided that when the update is ready, it will be a free upgrade. So if you're thinking of buying fT, no need to hold out till the update - you'll get it anyway!

Existing customers:
I'm going to send out a bulk email later today with the UB version attached, for those who haven't received it yet. If you've upgraded to R10, email me with your C4D serial number and I'll generate you a new key.

Thanks for all the support!

Cheers - Steve

Aurety
11-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Thank you Astrofish. I love my own.

Daitoku
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I would just like to give a big thank you to astro fish.

When a plug-in developer sticks with his product when he is not making boat loads of money and is proactive about making a UB version I am so happy!

With this update he has shown he has respect for his customers and provided them excellent support (he responded to 2 email over the weekend to get me up and running btw, always friendly).

Other developers that are still around can not be bothered to update old plug-ins that are still used so when one does I feel they deserve a huge pat on the back.

Thank you!

Continuumx
11-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Steve!

Is there a chance of putting together a tutorial on how to do the technique where you can have interlacing geometry using fT?

astrofish
11-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Continuumx,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by interlacing geometry...
Can you point me at an example?

Cheers - Steve

astrofish
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Better late than never...

In order to give people a better idea of some of the things that you can do with fusionThing, I've just recorded a new tutorial video showing typical use of fusionThing to create complex single-mesh organic objects, from simple base meshes. In this case, I'm building a cactus.

Here's the video (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/training/cactus01.mov).

The image attached here was the end-result of the tutorial, with a little bit more work done on materials.

This (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/tutorials/cactus02.c4d) is the R9 project file for the image. It won't work without fT, but you can see the structure of the project.

This (http://www.lotsofpixels.com/fusionThing/tutorials/cactus02_mesh.c4d) is an R9 project file that will work for anyone - I've converted the fT procedurally-generated mesh into an ordinary polygon mesh, this lets you have a look at the mesh the fT generated, but of course isn't editable in any easy way.

Cheers - Steve

AdamT
11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Fusionthing is great--need to get me an r10 serial. :)

Can't think of too many improvements unless you wanted to take it in the L-System direction. That would be very cool. I don't know of one for Cinema that does single mesh models.

mustardseed
11-30-2006, 02:34 AM
That cactus tut and the last greeble tut have pretty much sold me on fusionThing! Seems like a good companion to xFrog.

I recall a thread some time back about attaching spiny plates to the back of a dinosaur mesh, wouldn't FT do it perfectly, with its unique welding options?

It's now very high up on my shopping list.

PetrolUk
11-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Really impressive tutorial Steve :) Powerful and well thought out plugin.

Like Adam I'll have to get my R10 serial and start playing!

ooo
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Great news and thanks for that new tutorial!

Question: did you already send out that bulk-email? I haven't received anything yet. Just wondering if I should contact you? :)

odo

Erik Heyninck
11-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I already have my serial (only Simplemaker/DrPepper is still missing, and I get no answer) and I'm waiting for this new update.

astrofish
11-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Guys,
No - the bulk email hasn't gone out yet (trouble with mail merging) - though it is mainly just to make sure that everyone knows about the UB update and R10 compatability.

I need to know your individual R10 serials anyway to generate your new keys,
so if you need one then email me, and I'll reply with your new key and the UB build. (Please email rather than PMing me - it makes it easier for me to find you in my database.)

Cheers - Steve

nycL45
12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Bumped. Did the FusionThing UB email go out?

astrofish
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Bumped. Did the FusionThing UB email go out?

Yes - finally. Sent out earlier today.

Cheers - Steve

astrofish
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I've donated a copy of fusionThing as a competition prize at www.c4dnexus.nl (http://www.c4dnexus/), and one of the administrators there has posted a couple of samples of work that he's done with (his own copy of!) fusionThing.

The alien cats are cool...

His post including images and wireframes is here (http://www.c4dnexus.nl/forums/index.php?showtopic=585&view=findpost&p=5331), though note that it's all in Dutch!

If anyone can point me at a GOOD Dutch to English web translator I'd appreciate it.

Cheers - Steve

Erik Heyninck
12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Right. So, just to make things clear: the new version of fT is meant for mac, and Windows users can go on using the version they already have without missing anything new?

astrofish
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Right. So, just to make things clear: the new version of fT is meant for mac, and Windows users can go on using the version they already have without missing anything new?

Correct.

The current fT version is 1.03, and this is the version that everyone should have (check the C4D console window on startup to check the version number).

The new build has exactly the same functionality, hence is still version 1.03, but is built as a UB, which is _required_ for Mac plugins under C4D R10 (even for PPC...).

For Windows users, I've verified that the current build works under R10, and no rebuild was needed, just new keycodes.

That said, I'm supporting it under R10, so if anyone DOES find any compatibility problems under R10 that I've missed, then I'll try to fix them.

Cheers - Steve

Erik Heyninck
12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Right man. Thumbs up for lots of new users!

LemonNado
12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Two quick experiments. Nice plugin!
Both below 200kb
http://www.onesmall.com/stuff/maskman1.jpg
http://www.onesmall.com/stuff/spkeyfusion.jpg
Rainer

flingster
12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
like that last picture lemo..unusual fish like that bit..bit cluttered around the outside..did you try it without all the others surrounding...or maybe three with different scale..and fish swimming between and around ..slightly odd suggestions i guess...like the image.

flingster
12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
can i ask a question about functionality?

when you distribute the objects on the surface like in the face picture...or on a meg/otto face...with most cloning tools you might have problems with scale proportional to polygon is this possible....or scale proportional to the selection area...so you don't get very tight clusters of clones usually around dense mesh areas like mouth/eyes...eg i'd like to be able to balance it out a little better...a cheek area is usually large polys widely spread but eye socket is very dense...i'd like balance in cloning so it doesn't look like its just cloned on a poly and its clear what the topology is...? is this possible with ft?