PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta trailer

Norante
07-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Watch it here (http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/)

I like what I see so far, although I expected it to be slightly more dark.

alexyork
07-23-2005, 10:08 AM
looks pretty good! 1984 meets Matrix meets Metropolis.

dogyears
07-23-2005, 01:27 PM
pretty decent material, though it looks, unfortunately, rather uninspired - a bland adapation of the comic, which isn't all that outstanding by itself. Alan moore is great - but I have always felt V has been one of Moore's weaker works.

"This is the voice of fate ..."

pappuftp
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
but I have always felt V has been one of Moore's weaker works.

maybe so in retrospective but I consider that to be one of his seminal works..

Darktwin
07-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah I saw the preview in theatres yesterday, I really don't see anything unique about this film in the previews, I feel this movie has been done many times before. But again..I can't judge the film from the previews. I just hope Natalie Portmans performance is much better in this film than episode 3.

:shrug:

SpeccySteve
07-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Looks pretty good, might have to go see that.

Kinda makes me want to reread the comic as well.

PatternRecognition
07-23-2005, 03:05 PM
I have my hopes up for this one :) The trailer looks great.

JeroenDStout
07-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Looks quite nice... I'll await reviews and the likes. Made me switch from "Only if the reviews are good" to "might see if the reviews are good" :)

beaker
07-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I just hope Natalie Portmans performance is much better in this film than episode 3.I think that is more of an issue of crappy script, not crappy acting. Actors can only polish crappy dialogue so much. Check out any of her other movies(Closer, Garden State, Leon, etc...), she is a really good actress.

Nemoid
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
looks promising!! :)

SheepFactory
07-24-2005, 04:12 PM
to me it looks like zorro with a goofy mask. I am not familiar with the comic.

07-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Looks interesting... haha Mr. Smith is V. Does the character really speak in rhymes? :arteest:

Bonedaddy
07-24-2005, 07:50 PM
It barely got across any of the feel of the comic, and felt way too Matrix-ized for my tastes (I don't recall V throwing any vapor-emitting knives in the book). I wish they'd at least mentioned Guy Fawkes in the trailer, or hinted, ever so barely, that the thing is set in Britain, seeing as how nobody seems to have British accents... gah.

/bitter, crusty old man
//get off my lawn

kraal
07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
I think that is more of an issue of crappy script, not crappy acting. Actors can only polish crappy dialogue so much. Check out any of her other movies(Closer, Garden State, Leon, etc...), she is a really good actress.

honestly i am waiting for dakota fanning to grow up... since leon i have not been at all impressed with miss portman's acting all the movies she is in she reminds me of watching a high school play the way she deleivers her dialog. I am sure thereare better actors than her that could of played this part.... then again the trailer did not really spark my interest so whats wrong with another mediocre part under natalie portmans belt ?

SovereignKnight
07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
It barely got across any of the feel of the comic, and felt way too Matrix-ized for my tastes (I don't recall V throwing any vapor-emitting knives in the book). I wish they'd at least mentioned Guy Fawkes in the trailer, or hinted, ever so barely, that the thing is set in Britain, seeing as how nobody seems to have British accents... gah.

/bitter, crusty old man
//get off my lawn

Portman was doing an accent in the trailer. There wasn't enough of it to tell how good it was , but it was definitely there. Go back and listen.

I think Portman was miscast in this, much like she's been miscast in pretty much everything she's done lately.

Buexe
07-24-2005, 11:04 PM
yeah, miscast lately ... since leon or so ...

RocketBoy
07-25-2005, 01:54 AM
The preview does look a little better than i thought it would based on news i had heard about production. But as a huge fan of the original books, and not at all a fan of the latter Matrix films, i'm still pretty scared for this one. I have read most of Alan Moore's works, and I actually find V for Vendetta to be by far one of his most powerful; though maybe less refined than later works. I believe it is still a remarkably timely and relevent tale.

It barely got across any of the feel of the comic, and felt way too Matrix-ized for my tastes (I don't recall V throwing any vapor-emitting knives in the book). I wish they'd at least mentioned Guy Fawkes in the trailer
I agree with Bonedaddy here. Whenever I reccommend the book to people, which is pretty often, I tell them to look up Guy Fawkes and learn a little about him first before reading. They did have that little referrence to Guy Fawkes at the very end of the trailer: "Remember Remember the fifth of November." But I think that only a tiny percentage of the American audience, at least, would even have any clue as to what that is a referrence to. Though unfortunately, I'm sure that it is the same percentage of Americans that would have any clue what you were talking about if you came right out and mentioned Guy Fawkes by name.

to me it looks like zorro with a goofy mask. I am not familiar with the comic.
And possibly not familiar with British history either. As alluded to above, it is a stylized version of a Guy Fawkes mask. Even if you're not interested in the movie, i would recommend looking him up; it's a fascinating little bit of history.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 01:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.