PDA

View Full Version : Intel 915GM Express Chipset: Is the on-board video workable?

LoTekK
07-23-2005, 07:39 AM
I've been shopping around for a Tablet PC lately, and I feel like I may have settled on the HP TC4200 (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/tc4200/). At least of the available models here, it seems to offer the best price-performance ratio (actually, it's one of the cheapest models out there, yet has pretty decent out-of-box specs).

My only real concern was the onboard GPU it uses, the Intel GMA900. Has any of you used this chipset before? How does its performance stack up against other onboard GPUs as far as 3D modelling goes? My primary interest is 2D illustration and design, 3D is one of my other loves, and I'd like to at the very least be able to run Wings and Blender on it. Possibly something a little more industry-standard down the line, as well.

iambic
07-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Yep I used the gma900...came with machine I bought and used it for about 3 months before buying a quadro...I found its performance in lightwave perfectly acceptable up to around a couple hundred thousand pols before it went a bit pear shaped. It's not to bad in games from what I've read to...bit below an x300...It use to be the best onboard gpu but intel's latest is gma950 I think....and ati's got a comparable solution...I think its x300 onboard.

LoTekK
07-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Good to know, thanks for the info. Being that I typically fool around with making game-centric 3D stuff, I tend to stay well within that couple hundred thousand poly range. :) The TC4200 looks like it's meeting most of my main needs, as far as Tablet PCs go. Couple more days of mulling over the decision and I may just end up buying the thing. Thanks again, iambic. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2005, 01:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.