PDA

View Full Version : designers against creative blocks

timothyjpalmer
07-23-2005, 04:14 AM
http://www.refrase.net/motion/dacb.mov

Modeled and animated in 3dmax. Rendered in Brazil.

This was a piece I composed for the International Design Contest from Adobe. Very simple 3d as I wanted to spend most of my time in after effects/premiere working on the transitions, color, and the edit; not to mention its highly concept driven.

I was having some serious issues developing a concept at the time. So I drew upon the first exercise I ever remember doing in my design studies, where we had to portray emotions through 2d squares. So I took that concept, ran with it in 3d and applied it into a public service announcement for a mock organization "designers against creative blocks." The audio was produced by my good friend Jesse Forgues. I would like to rerender everything with a better lighting setup and probably will since I now have the time. This is my first run at showcasing my work here and I'm rather intimidated by the the amazing quality of work I have been appreciating the past year or so since I've been addicted to these forums. Anyway I hope you like it. Thank you for your time.

drew8
07-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Very cool work there... congrats.

Only crit was that I thought the titles could come up a bit earlier, as to be an openning rather than an explaination of each segment.

I really like the smooth, slick rendering & design elements, nice touch.

timothyjpalmer
07-24-2005, 12:06 AM
ahh yeah I could see that.... nice observation. that is definitely something to think about....

thanks man!

rickycox
07-24-2005, 05:44 AM
Nice concept, a little bit too designer-ish for my tastes but otherwise nice work. The only other crit, it drags on a little too long, we kind of get the message the second or third time, but then it keeps on going. Maybe pace it up a bit, make each section shorter and push the message across a bit quicker.

timothyjpalmer
07-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Thank you for your comments. haha I'm sorry its too "designer-ish" for you. :)

About the length the requirement was 1 minute. I was going to pack it with 6-8 different emotions but felt that would contain a little too much 3d for an adobe contest. However I could agree that it could be paced up. However watching it prior to reading my explanation has a quite an impact. If you understand what it is about before you watch it than yes it will be a bit slow. Not knowing what is going on whilst watching is pretty pivotal to the last seconds of the piece. Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2005, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.