PDA

View Full Version : Any good interior GI/Radiosity fake?

NicNac
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew a good in depth interior lighting guide based on faking GI or Radiosity. Thanks for any help. :D

Yourworstnightmare
07-22-2005, 08:31 PM
If you got max chances are you have mentalray and if you have mentalray you don't need to fake gi.

NicNac
07-23-2005, 04:41 AM
haha.... hey, i do have mental ray and final render, however, it's too time consuming... and also, it's not good for animations.... so that's why I need to fake it. Anybody? :)

SoLiTuDe
07-23-2005, 05:01 AM
http://www.cgarchitect.com/ has some good tuts on this. Their "advanced lighting" tutorials don't use GI from what I remember

Yourworstnightmare
07-23-2005, 10:38 PM
In mental ray you can calculate gi 1 time and save that as a map so then the scene will render very fast. I've used this method and there's no drop in quality.

NicNac
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Nightmare:
Yeah but that's still bad for animations where geometry deforms. You'll see flickering and artifacts.

Solitude:
Damn! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks alot! I can light 10 times better now. Now there's only one thing missing. Simulating Ambient Occlusion. I'll have a look around and see if I can find any first. Thanks again!

alexyork
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM
there's no reason at all to simulate AO. AO is already pretty much a "fudge" anyway, being that it's an incredibly fast method for getting soft ambient 'shadows' in a scene without advanced secondary illumination techniques or hours of light placement and tweaking.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.