PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Matt
07-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Longhorn has been given an official name.

Windows Vista is your next operating system.

I don't like it, but I can't say I liked "XP" when I first heard it either. The only good thing is that it's a step away from the old way of thinking when naming software.

1. Version numbers, beginning-1995 (Windows 1.0, Photoshop 3.0, Flash 4.0 for example.)
2. Year numbers, 1995-2000 (Windows 95 and 98, Quake95, etc.)
3. Abbreviations and pointless letters, 2000-2004 (Photoshop CS, Flash MX, Windows XP, Windows ME)

Now we're going for classic words.

4. Words, (Windows Vista, OSX Tiger, more to come)

People don't relate with version numbers, or abbreviations. Year numbers sort of have a negative effect too because of the attitude of, "But I just got this two years ago!!!"

TheThidMan
07-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I read its only for high spec machines and its got full 3d accelaration built into the desktop environment, but theyre taking some promised features out so they can release it earlier. theyll then release those features as service packs.

lots
07-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Those "features" are also going to be made available to XP and x64 when they are released for Longhorn (they should have kept the code name as the OS name... It sounds better :P)

dan1el
07-28-2005, 01:45 PM
now that yyou mention the version nameing...
Our CAD system is going under the versioan name "NX" for NeXt generation.
Now they are removing their old name to jsut call it NX-series....for how long can it stay "Next generation ??"

Probably going to be something like "NX Corolla" when we reach version 25

Simon
07-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Longhorn sounded way better. hmm. I probably wont get it until it goes to service pack one. In the first year it will probably be way too buggy and virus ridden. (anyone who thinks this one going to be more secure (in terms of numbers of virus infections) is having a laugh).

Simon

Velk
07-28-2005, 02:54 PM
What a trite stupid name. For those of you who care a vista is a pleasing view especially seen through a narrow opening. Soooo we now have a vista through windows... What joker thought this was a good idea? Longhorn was a much cooler name. Personally I think they should have called it Archer Slit and left it at that ;)

Simon
07-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Maybe we should make a list of cool words they could of used.

Windows Atermis
Windows Syzigy
Windows xerosis
Windows telos
Windows pusillanimous
Windows lagniappe

They could of paid me good money to open a dictionary and choose these words. :/

Simon

xsenos
07-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I thought it's a joke the first time when heard that on the local news portals. 'Vista' actually means 'chicken' in Latvian and I can see the local MS dealers already having troubles marketing the new product. Thought it's funny reading user comments like: 'if I could beat Linux, a chicken can't scare me' or 'now what fancy features could a chicken have' or 'will it bring the classy chicken and egg problem solution'. Words can be tricky.

Para
07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I thought it's a joke the first time when heard that on the local news portals. 'Vista' actually means 'chicken' in Latvian and I can see the local MS dealers already having troubles marketing the new product. Thought it's funny reading user comments like: 'if I could beat Linux, a chicken can't scare me' or 'now what fancy features could a chicken have' or 'will it bring the classy chicken and egg problem solution'. Words can be tricky.

Heheh. Well, in Finnish we have "visva" which rhymes with "Vista" and what makes this funny is that "visva" means pus, the really nasty kind.

Valkyrien
07-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Longhorn > Vista. Every time. (where the hell is the thumbs-down smiley when I need it?)

catamount
07-30-2005, 09:47 PM
vista seems a more refreshing name. mabey they will move away from the grunge grey interface? - hope so.

MadMax
07-30-2005, 10:19 PM
vista seems a more refreshing name. mabey they will move away from the grunge grey interface? - hope so.

Grunge grey?

the default is a nice fey looking Fisher Price my first XP.

Valkyrien
07-31-2005, 01:38 AM
Grunge grey?

the default is a nice fey looking Fisher Price my first XP.

give me classic grey anyday :p mine's tweaked out with windowblinds anyway;)

SweetDreamz
07-31-2005, 04:35 AM
The new Vista is/looks really nice. Got the beta 1 with like 1/3 of Vistas features implemented. I'm really looking forward to beta 2 sometime in February.

Para
07-31-2005, 07:58 AM

http://winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winvista_b1_18.jpg
http://winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winvista_b1_49.jpg
http://winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winvista_b1_36.jpg

Taken from http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_beta1_01.asp

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 07:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.