PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard now hiring!

Array
10-28-2002, 03:09 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, get your demoreels ready!!

http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/bn-3dcharacteranimator.shtml
http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/cin-anim.shtml

TRi-14
10-28-2002, 03:49 AM
Thats excelent news Array! :scream:

Joril
10-28-2002, 06:08 AM
*grmble.... damn europe.... blizz in america... grmble.... should use some more ..... lightwave... grmble grmble... wh'r's me coffé...*

HapZungLam
10-28-2002, 08:13 AM
yea, i had tried to apply it once. But they don't even give me a reply. that's kind of disappointed.

CG.p
10-30-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
yea, i had tried to apply it once. But they don't even give me a reply. that's kind of disappointed.

No reply is better than the "must have a successful published game" door slammed in your face. :(

I've seen plenty of game companies around here want more qualifications than their company has. ie the "successful published title".

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 06:40 AM
hey i have a successfully published game! does that mean i qualify?:wavey:
***WARNING READ THE FULL POST BEFORE CLICKING*** ***SICK GAME***
http://members.lycos.co.uk/per_anders/pong2/

that is what they mean right? i mean i successfully managed to publish it to the web....

(don't click the link if you're easily offended by cruelty to cute furry animals, it's a quick game i made in flash a couple'o'years back and never got round to finishing... i'm surprised the link is still working to be honest)

SheepFactory
10-30-2002, 06:58 AM
the controls suck :thumbsdow

:p

j\k

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 07:02 AM
hehe... yeah it's true... actually try tapping them... it's a flash multiple inputs issue in verison 5, the paddles speed up faster if you do that... (at the time i was just learning what flash 5 could do as far as multiple user inputs, and seeing if it was possible to put in a basic physics model into an old old game). but hey apart from that do ya think it's good enough? ;) damn that job's as good as mine! lol!

NanoGator
10-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Joril
*grmble.... damn europe.... blizz in america... grmble.... should use some more ..... lightwave... grmble grmble... wh'r's me coffé...*

Heh your avatar made that line rather amusing. :scream:

bentllama
10-31-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by CG.p
No reply is better than the "must have a successful published game" door slammed in your face. :(

I've seen plenty of game companies around here want more qualifications than their company has. ie the "successful published title".

you would be surprised at how many game companies hire students with no games industry experience...your reel just has to kick ass though... :)

and I take successfully published game to mean one that actually hit store shelves and went through a FULL production cylce...many studios have countless projects shelved, and while you gain experience doing those as well as tech demos and such, you actually do not have any finished titles under your belt...

...buck up, make a kickass reel no one can question and don't complain... :)

just my 2.5 cents...

bentllama
10-31-2002, 10:20 AM
" Experience with Maya or equivalent 3D program. "

Funny. Finally made the switch...hooray!

CG.p
10-31-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
you would be surprised at how many game companies hire students with no games industry experience...your reel just has to kick ass though... :)

<snip>

.many studios have countless projects shelved, and while you gain experience doing those as well as tech demos and such, you actually do not have any finished titles under your belt...

I totally agree, the problem is when the game companies AREN"T hiring people without game expreience. You know names of ones that are?

I know Blizzard is one that has stated they want it. I've seen the emails. I know people with good reels that were told to download level editors and play with them "to break into the games industry" That isn't something you tell someone with a killer demo reel, you tell that to someone just starting with no experience in 3d.

ID is just down the street. I've seen many fall before the 'game experience' question there.

Some game companies are really screwed up with their hiring practices. I've got some good stories. [ed. I meant other than Blizzard and ID]

bentllama
11-01-2002, 01:50 AM
timing in a companies production cycle has everything to do with whether or not a newbie gets hired at a big company...

Mayamaniac
11-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Game experience isn't necessary for the cinematic position. These are the software rendered cut scenes in their games, which has nothing to do with "game" making experience. What you need is strong 3D animation experience, or 3D in general.

CG.p
11-03-2002, 07:49 PM
There are a lot more places using their game engine to produce "cinematics" though. With monsters like the new unreal engine more and more people are accepting game engine level graphics as good enough.

Per-Anders
11-03-2002, 07:59 PM
all the more reason to excell and prove them wrong. it's going to be a couple of years before cut scenes are dropped altogether methinks. and when it does happen then all of your skills will be jsut as valid.. you're just not going to have to hit the render button... that's all.

Lee3dee
11-03-2002, 08:14 PM
I agree with the game experience requirement. I did an art test for Stainless Steel Studios, u have to model and texture a ship in under 25 hours before they look at your resume and reel. Their response to me was "your model and reel was good, but you lacked in game development experience."

As a computer animation graduate, I have found it extremely hard to break into the Gaming Industry. I so what to make games, hell I play enough of them to appreciate all the work put in. The only way i could find was to work for free at a local gaming company that wanted 30+ hours a week. Needless to say, I couldn't survive with no income. In the end, I joined an online gaming mod to gain some kind of production experience.

How are we (artists) supposed to get experience in or out of college, when companies require these high requirement. :annoyed:

Hirigashi

CG.p
11-03-2002, 08:36 PM
all the more reason to excell and prove them wrong.

By producing stuff they aren't interested in?

Granted, you haven't seen some of the rejection letters a friend showed me. There are places that don't even want to talk to you unless you are leaving another successful game company to work for them.

How are we (artists) supposed to get experience in or out of college, when companies require these high requirement.

Or like I said before, when THEY don't even meet that requirement. (sucessful published title)

Mayamaniac
11-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Blizzard has a cinematic division so I assume they will continue to produce rendered cut scenes. I hope blizzard will never stop using rendered cut scenes. It's one of the things I enjoy about their games, seeing all those nicely rendered animations, such as Warcraft 3. They do have gameplay cut scenes in the game, but the main intros and endings are still rendered scenes. Gameplay cut scenes started back with Metal Gear Solid for the PSX, and it was cool but I still prefer rendered ones and would pay the extra bucks for it.

As for how tough it is to get into the game industry, I don't think its any worse than other 3D fields. Projects need to be developed, deadlines needs to be made, car payments needs to be paid; so they'll need the talents to get the job done. If you are talented, they will hire you.

AnimBot
11-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Some companies hire people right out of school some don't. It all depends on the companies policy and what their needs are at the moment. Actually if anyone is interested you can PM me regarding which companies I know were willing to take me on right out of school. There are a few out there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.