PDA

View Full Version : One Quickie - A reply to Wabe - a mention of VistaPro

chandas
07-22-2005, 09:34 AM
:) Thanks Wabe, I have tried this but what seems to happen is that instead of geting a very sharp spiky landscape I get a landscape with smoothed spikes!

To explain I am an old Amiga hand, and used VistaPro on the Amiga and later on the PC (incidentally the Amiga version gave much better surface textures):thumbsup: . I realise that Vue far outstrips Vista on practically every front, but with Vista you do have have easy access to the widest possible library of real world environments via .dem files.

One of the old Light-Rom CDs I have gives .dem files covering the whole world! At varying degrees of definition, granted, but all very useable.

Is there no way that .dem files could be as easily utilised by Vue? It would be fantastic if there was.

Is there a way it could be tweaked?

A detailed tutorial would be extemely welcomed by many users I'm sure, but especially by me, a rank amateur and illiterate as far as Vue is concerned.

I live in hope...:bounce:

BazC
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm very new to Vue too so my apologies if this isn't quite right!

I seem to remember reading that you CAN use DEM files in Vue but there is a restriction on maximum size of the image which is fairly restrictive. - Baz

chandas
07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes, you can use them, I know. The difficulty I find is that they turn out looking nothing like the original landscape or anywhere near as good and realistic as the landscapes that Vue produces internally.

They are extremely "spikey". If you try to smooth them either inside Vue or by using Photoshop they are still spikey, the only difference being that the spikes have smooth edges rather than sharp ones.

This is certainly down to my inability and inexperience with the programme...I hope. I can't find anything in the manual (Vue 5) that advises how to improve or adjust the output. It basically just says that one can use .dems and how to import them.:shrug:

I eagerly await the advises of any kind expert!:)

BernieS
07-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258495

One trick that I've also found worked well was to import the DEM file into Terragen (registered version) then export it as a .BMP file, then bring that into Vue using the terrain editor.

Usually needs to be re-scaled in the vertical, but other than that it works just fine.

Bernie

Wabe
07-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Wow, my name in a headline. I feel very important suddenly.

Ok, i render an example at the moment. Will be finished until i have finished writing this i think. To show you.

The good news is - it works here. Good news for me because i think i will use it more often. BTW, it is Beauty Mountain California - 30m resolution (when i remember it right).

So what have i done?

1. Created a terrain.
2. Opened the terrain editor, did a reset.
3. Load picture - select the dem file and bring the blend slider to 100% (last part is not important i think)
4. Exit terrain editor, apply a material, select an atmosphere and light and render (in final).

Ok, now the in between steps for Vue 5 and Infinite users.

3a. change setting to procedural - not dependant on resolution then for later use.
3b. select a mix of procedural materials so that i am resolution independant as well here.

Now maybe the important part that we repeat all together:

In the function editor we always want to reset the "add function" function so that there are no spikes created. And we do that before we create the final terrain!

For those without manual, it is the last icon to the right on top of the terrain editor.

Sorry if i sound a little witty - is not my intention.

To be honest, it took me a long time to find out the issue with the function per default. I always had problems with spiky terrains too.

PS: The grainyness in my example has to do with "rendered in final" and the procedural material that might not be ideal for this.

chandas
07-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry to be as thick as a brick, Wabe, but which of the functions do you use. This seems to be the essential instruction and there are a lot of different functions available when one clicks on the functions editor.

P.S. Great render - My appetite is even wetter than before!

Wabe
07-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah - these bricks.... (Sorry, couldn't resist, i am in a funny mood today. No clients call !!!)

The trick is to use no function. NO FUNCTION!!!

Simply right mouse click onto the icon of the function and select reset function. That will do.

If i haven't said before, the above image took 15 minutes to do. From scratch to finished rendering!

chandas
07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Many thanks Wabe. Finally I have a hand on understanding a little more about Vue - thanks to your excellent advice and patience.

Incidentally, I notice that you are from the Black Forest area of Germany. I lived in the extreme south of that area for four years, near the border with Switzerland and France. The nearest town was Lorrach. Maybe you know it?

Regards:applause:

Wabe
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey, is the type of threads i like - when there is a result at the end. A happy Black Forest camper so to say.

Now you have to show us some results of course. Curious as i am.

Yes i know Lörrach of course. Very nice town and a very nice area indeed. I am on the other side of Black Forest - very North. Close to Stuttgart too, just half an hour drive when the roads are free. When...

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.